Wheels (Terry Classic)

Furious10

As part of our re-design, we started with the wheels. The more modern wheels on the Terry just don't go with the "older" exterior...IMO. So we ordered three new steel wheels and planned to put beauty rings and baby moons on them. As do-it-yourself(ers), the process should have been easy as we have changed wheels many times on our trailers and hot rods. The lug nuts came off easily on the right side of the trailer but spun on the left side. We know how to overcome this problem but as the trailer is only a few weeks old, we decided it was the dealership's problem. Off we go to the dealership with trailer in tow...explained the problem...watched them "discuss" the situation...offered our solution (too simple :rolleyes:) and left the trailer there. After a week, we still have not heard from them. So, long story short...we have no trailer and other Terry owners need to check their wheel lugs. It is not a safety concern but could be a real headache if you are in the middle-of-nowhere and have a flat tire. :(

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Wheels

The Terry's are cool trailers!

Can't wait to see them at the HOC Rallies soon!

Furious10

Thank you. We are car enthusiasts and have a '34, '40 and '51. We were really drawn to the look of the Terry. I think they could be a good trailer for Heartland. My husband isn't retired (yet), so longer destinations and times will have to wait for a year. That's okay because we want to re-design the interior to reflect the outside look.

jbeletti

We're trying to get one to display at the national rally this June, but yeah, it will be real cool when we start seeing new Terry owners show up at Heartland Chapter and Region rallies :)

BobbyandGenee

As part of our re-design, we started with the wheels. The more modern wheels on the Terry just don't go with the "older" exterior...IMO. So we ordered three new steel wheels and planned to put beauty rings and baby moons on them. As do-it-yourself(ers), the process should have been easy as we have changed wheels many times on our trailers and hot rods. The lug nuts came off easily on the right side of the trailer but spun on the left side. We know how to overcome this problem but as the trailer is only a few weeks old, we decided it was the dealership's problem. Off we go to the dealership with trailer in tow...explained the problem...watched them "discuss" the situation...offered our solution (too simple :rolleyes:) and left the trailer there. After a week, we still have not heard from them. So, long story short...we have no trailer and other Terry owners need to check their wheel lugs. It is not a safety concern but could be a real headache if you are in the middle-of-nowhere and have a flat tire. :(

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. Will check mine before our trip Memorial Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyandGenee

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. Will check mine before our trip Memorial Day!

I just went to check. Believe it or not I have two different size lug nuts! I think I may head down to the auto parts store and by and new complete matching set

BobbyandGenee

So i learned a little bit about our issue today.

The lug nuts on this rig are covered with a chrome slip cap. So brand new they are 19(?) mm lug nuts. However, if they are over torqued OR a 12 point socket is used instead of a 6 point socket, then the chrome cap comes off. Now you have a 17 or 18 mm.

My dealer has ordered a full new set lugs nuts for the rig. After which, he laughingly put some thought into it and realized we probably could have gone to the local auto parts store to get new ones! But, this way we know they are meant for the unit.

Furious had some issues with the studs......all my studs are ok. They hand torqued mine and they were all snug and nothing loose or spinning.

Furious10

So i learned a little bit about our issue today.

The lug nuts on this rig are covered with a chrome slip cap. So brand new they are 19(?) mm lug nuts. However, if they are over torqued OR a 12 point socket is used instead of a 6 point socket, then the chrome cap comes off. Now you have a 17 or 18 mm.

My dealer has ordered a full new set lugs nuts for the rig. After which, he laughingly put some thought into it and realized we probably could have gone to the local auto parts store to get new ones! But, this way we know they are meant for the unit.

Furious had some issues with the studs......all my studs are ok. They hand torqued mine and they were all snug and nothing loose or spinning.

We realized about the 12 point instead of the 6 point. Made a difference as the slip cap was turning :p. We replaced ALL the lug nuts to ones without the slip cap.

We realized about the 12 point instead of the 6 point. Made a difference as the slip cap was turning :p. We replaced ALL the lug nuts to ones without the slip cap.

Did you complete the installation of the replacement steel wheels? If so, can you post one or more pictures?