3560SS Front slide issue

Reddirt

I'm curious to see if anyone else has had any issues with this. In the front slide there seems to be an extreme amount of weight on the roller which is directly under the wall between the closet and the bedroom. I do have a Splendide 2100XC in the closet which adds some weight to this same area. The second time I pulled the slides in the front slide broke the screws off and pulled the extrusion loose from the bottom of the slide not quite half way up. I took it to the dealer they said the factory put screws on 6" centers around the exterior extrusion which they said was inadequate. They drilled and installed screws on 3" centers told me that should be more than enough to hold, so far so good. I pointed out amount of weight on the one or two rollers but the remaining rollers have nothing touching them. Dealer was not concerned about it. I emailed Heartland, they also had no concerns. So I decided to see if anyone on here in the real world had experienced any problems with this same thing. It looks to me like that roller should be longer to distribute the weight better which would allow the slide to move easier and may have prevented the screws from breaking in the first place. Appreciate your time.

danemayer

Hi Reddirt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I think the question you're circling around is that if there are several parts involved, and one breaks, should all be modified.

If this were a common failure, I would be thinking that. But from the posts on this forum, I would say that it's not a very common problem. So maybe the design is ok, but perhaps there was just a problem with installation or a defective part.

Reddirt

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. This is a great place to get answers to questions I didn't even know I had.
I'm not saying everything needs to be modified, more curious if the amount of weight carried by the mainly one roller under that wall is typical of this model. In this short amount of time the plastic is already rubbing the top of the metal bracket that holds the roller. It just seems to me the weight just be distributed more evenly or possibly a metal strip for that particular roller to run on.

NYSUPstater

Just picked up ours yesterday, so cannot comment specifically on this issue. What I did notice was the on the bed slide, both top corners, can see light with it in closed position ( cannot extend bed slide at house--no room, so just the main front slide). May have to look at out in street on ladder to see if any add'l silicone can be added there. Any suggestions or have others noticed the same and what did you do?

Reddirt

I have noticed daylight while it's sliding out but it seems to seal tight once it's extended. My first weekend in it was lots of rain, snow and high winds, there was some cool air coming in somewhere around the bed slide but considering the wind I didn't think much about it. To be honest I haven't paid attention if I can see light with it closed. I'll check it out next time and let you know. Do you have a washer/ dryer installed?

NYSUPstater

No w/d. Perhaps down the road. Not retired (another 8-10 years), so most trip are 1 week in length and just take extra clothes along for now.

I also had this same problem. I decided to undertake the project myself. I replaced the factory installed screws with larger heavier screws and so far have not had any problems. It is easy to see where there is weight issues, plastic surface under the slide has depressed areas at the roller. I have lubricated the slide mechanisms as defined by lippert, this seems to have help a great deal.

NYSUPstater

BD,

Being computer illiterate, I'll see if I can get pics posted once son gets his butt outta bed later today. Took some last year and sent to HL, so they will be same ones.

NYSUPstater

Yes. Took a couple trips. 1 to local HL dealer who doesn't handle BC but does at it's sister store for other HL dealer who DOES sell BC didn't want to touch it (long story). But yes, temp fix here (1 bay garage) as we had a trip or 2 planned right away, then off to their sister shop 1 hour away who did a perm fix. Neither the dealer or I liked what HL said to do, dealer did it and so far so good tho.

DCD2017

Yes. Took a couple trips. 1 to local HL dealer who doesn't handle BC but does at it's sister store for other HL dealer who DOES sell BC didn't want to touch it (long story). But yes, temp fix here (1 bay garage) as we had a trip or 2 planned right away, then off to their sister shop 1 hour away who did a perm fix. Neither the dealer or I liked what HL said to do, dealer did it and so far so good tho.

Could you provide details/pics of the perm fix that the dealer did? I have the same camper and would like to prevent this happening. Thanks in advance.

NYSUPstater

HL told dealer to install more and I think longer screws into trim. I'll take a look when I go out and see what the spacing is. Do know quite a few or lot of screws were added. Also, I'll see about after pics. Son helped me w/ 1st ones and sent to HL, so I'll see if he can help me again. I hate being computer blind.:mad:

NYSUPstater

Well the good news is that DS took 3 pics of the "after" today. Bad news is he had to work, so will have him help me ASAP to post pics. May end up being 2 seperate posts, but will see,. Sorry for the delay.

NYSUPstater

Before:
IMG_5480.jpgIMG_5477.jpg
IMG_5479.jpgIMG_5481.jpgIMG_5482.jpgIMG_5483.jpgIMG_5484.jpg

After:

thumbnail-3.jpegthumbnail-4.jpegthumbnail-5.jpeg

The after pics don't show as well as the before pics of the additional screws installed, but do show that the trim is still in place ALTHOUGH the before pics had the slide in when problem was 1st noticed. May have to zoom in to see the closeness of the add'l screws.

Attachments

• IMG_5478.jpg
    IMG_5478.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 70

bigdob24

I see what to look for now, thanks .
A pic is worth a thousand words .
My rig is suppose to be done and ready for pickup Friday.
BD

Ricky7878

We had the same issue but found out that LA Mesa the dealer we purchased the unit from had this issue on the showroom floor. So they had replaced the extrusion screws before but obviously didn't work. Heartland approved the warranty again and I had the front screws replaced. But as I was closing up for the summer to head back to Canada the back screws two at the bottom sheared off. So when I come back I will have them done to. The rollers seem OK and all touching. Must be the weight of the super slide. I don't have a washer dryer in this unit just clothes. Heartland has been very cooperative so far. The only other issue I have is that the black water tank shut off doesn't close completely. So the liquid between uses drains out so filling the tank almost never happens. I flush it out weekly to rid of as much solids as possible. Otherwise the rest is good.
Cheers Rick

Dmm8535

I just dropped mine off this week for the same issue as I see others have had. Waiting on HL to approve warranty claim on this.

I am thinking about adding slide toppers to the unit. Has anyone else done this and was there any additional issues with the bed slide? That slide out obviously will have 2 toppers and not sure of the look.

Ricky7878

I just dropped mine off this week for the same issue as I see others have had. Waiting on HL to approve warranty claim on this.

I am thinking about adding slide toppers to the unit. Has anyone else done this and was there any additional issues with the bed slide? That slide out obviously will have 2 toppers and not sure of the look.

20181121_134033_001.jpg This is ours done

- - - Updated - - -

We also had to have both Shwinteck Slide motors and bracket replaced. The new ones are slower but and don't torque up quickly so as not to rip out the brackets. We don't have a washer dryer in that slide either just clothes and linen Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator: