Towing the Mallard M29

DanPace

I have a Mallard 2017 M29. I tow it with a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2wd. I have an Equalizer 10,000 pound load leveling hitch that was supplied by Camping World when I bought the M29. When I cross a dip or bump in the road I get some mild porpoising. I also believe the hitch was properly set-up by Camping World. I am wondering if some Bilstein 4600 shocks on the front of the truck might resolve my issue. Anyone out there had a similar issue? Thanks, Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Your weight distribution will change as soon as you load your gear and even change as you load your tanks with water.
Before wasting your money on vehicle upgrades, check the owners manual and verify that your hitch is setup properly for how you typically tow.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

You may also consider running through the sway troubleshooting section starting around page 25 as a starting point.

You might also want to run your rig across the scales so you know how much weight your shifting to your axles between towing and not towing.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Also please make sure the bolts on your hitch are tight. I have noticed that they can loosen up after a while.

Use a good torque wrench for that. The dealers may claim to check the bolts but in reality may not have torqued them as much as they needed.

'Lil Guy'

With your rig hooked up, is the trailer and the truck level, as in not too high in the front on the trailer? Also, are you using anti sway bars on your hitch to trailer? They're cheap if not.