2008 May - North Trail (TT) Statistics

jbeletti

Hi all,

A few days ago, I posted the May 2008 statistics for Heartland's 5th wheel products. Today I visited with Mike Creech, the Brand Manager for North Trail and received some North Trail facts plus the official May 2008 stats.

Here is what I can share today:

2008-May - North Trail (Travel Trailers only)

Ranked as the #38 model based on May YTD retail registrations as tabulated by Statistical Analysis, Inc.

North Trail was 1 year old on July 15th. The first units came off-line July 15 of 2007.

In that first year, the North Trail division produced about 2,200 units.

North Trail currently has 15 Travel Trailer floorplans and 4 5th Wheel floorplans - 19 in all

jbeletti

Thanks Jim. Yeah - from zero to 2,200 units sold in the first year of the brand's existence - a great feat.

Jim

chrispitude

Hi Jim,

What's got me interested in the North Trail is:

1. Aerodynamics
2. Lightweight but strong construction
3. Well thought-out designs

There is room in the TT market for a premium lightweight trailer build with superior materials and methods. I have no problem paying more for trailers which are built lighter and smarter instead of cheaper and heavier. Plus, as fuel costs go up, so does the inherent value in an aerodynamic, lightweight but durable trailer. Please continue to improve the designs and materials, and resist the urge to cut corners to keep the material costs down.

I am also very impressed by the way the factory listens on the forums. This is a huge plus in my book. You guys are in a very good position to evolve your designs quickly. I can't count how many posts I read on rv.net where folks complain that their trailer must have been designed by people that never go camping. Cater to this crowd.

Now if only I could sell this boat anchor of a Rockwood so I can join the North Trail family... (anyone want a 2008 Rockwood 2605?)

- Chris

Rick32040

Being one who owns one of the first 2200 units off the factory floor in the first year I was impressed with the accessability of the folks from Heartland. I asked our dealer a few questions about our unit as we were waiting for it to be shipped and they gave me a phone number to a man at the plant. I called and discussed a few questions that I had with him and he literally walked thru some other units onsite at the plant in order to answer my questions. I would say that they go the extra mile to answer your questions at the plant. He could of easily gave me some answers off the top of his head but he actually was on the production floor going thru some units telling me what they do here and there and why they do it. I always have said that it is hard to put a dollar figure on service like that. I'm in the electrical industry and I have customers asking all kind of questions daily and you have to be there for them to keep their business. I can't think of the mans name but he is very valuable to Heartland.

Hunter

Newby
Hi Jim,

What's got me interested in the North Trail is:

1. Aerodynamics
2. Lightweight but strong construction
3. Well thought-out designs

There is room in the TT market for a premium lightweight trailer build with superior materials and methods. I have no problem paying more for trailers which are built lighter and smarter instead of cheaper and heavier. Plus, as fuel costs go up, so does the inherent value in an aerodynamic, lightweight but durable trailer. Please continue to improve the designs and materials, and resist the urge to cut corners to keep the material costs down.

I am also very impressed by the way the factory listens on the forums. This is a huge plus in my book. You guys are in a very good position to evolve your designs quickly. I can't count how many posts I read on rv.net where folks complain that their trailer must have been designed by people that never go camping. Cater to this crowd.

Now if only I could sell this boat anchor of a Rockwood so I can join the North Trail family... (anyone want a 2008 Rockwood 2605?)

- Chris

When we were first looking to upgrade from our hybrid and before we saw the North Trail, we were looking at the 2008 Rockwood 2605. The size (or lack thereof) of the grey water & black water tanks was the major problem for us.

After seeing the North Trail, there was no turning back to any other model.

I can't express at how happy we are with the construction of the North Trail.

8paws

We just purchased a 2009 North Trail TT. What was the first year they came out with the 21FBS North Trail? Any problems we should be aware of?

jimtoo

We just purchased a 2009 North Trail TT. What was the first year they came out with the 21FBS North Trail? Any problems we should be aware of?

From the first post in this thread.

2008-May - North Trail (Travel Trailers only)

Ranked as the #38 model based on May YTD retail registrations as tabulated by Statistical Analysis, Inc.

North Trail was 1 year old on July 15th. The first units came off-line July 15 of 2007.

In that first year, the North Trail division produced about 2,200 units.

North Trail currently has 15 Travel Trailer floorplans and 4 5th Wheel floorplans - 19 in all

Do not know of any on going problems with the units.

Jim M

jbeletti

As of February 2012, North Trail is the #21 brand travel trailer based in retail sales in the U.S.

North Country is #29 and Prowler is #41.

JeremyN

I agree. There's a LOT of competition in travel trailers.

I too have to agree with the quality of the North Trail units. I have owned mine for a little over a year, and I have nothing bad to say about it. The customer service is just excellent. I have never called a company and been treated so nicely before. They respected, and more importantly, followed up on every issue I had. I couldn't have been more impressed.

I agree with a previous post about this forum though. Please continue to review the posts that are on here. What is better than having an R&D department of thousands of owners!?!?!?! There are very inventive people on here and some ideas of things they changed or added, could come as the next new thing in a particular model lineup the next year.

My personal opion is that if you listen to what your customers want and need, and then make the changes necessary, you will go very far in this industry. If you keep up this mindset, you will see North Trail become a bigger and bigger player in the market.

Great job so far! I continue to promote the heck out of your company to everyone I know. And so far I have been successful in having 2 of my close friends buy NT trailers as well. I plan on trading mine in a few years down the road and buying another.

CliffP

Jim, do you know how many North Trails were made last year? Just curious, is there a website or someplace we can get these stats?

jbeletti

Cliff,

I don't have a 2011 year end report, but extrapolating from November's report, we would have done around 2,500 North Trails in calendar year 2011.

There is no online report that you'd be able to get that level of detail, short of subscribing to Statistical Survey's RV reports. All manufacturer's subscribe to them.

Jim