Disc brake question

tnord2

I'm considering buying a new Charleston model and was wondering if the disc brake option is worth the cost. Seems somewhat expensive and wanted to know if any of you have any thoughts about the value of the option.

Thanks,

tom

danemayer

Hi tnord2,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

If you start with the MSRP of $3,192 and assume you can negotiate a discount on the options as well as the base coach, your actual cost might be considerably less. As a point of reference, Performance Trailer Braking is doing disc brake installs at our North American Rally in Goshen next month at a special price of $2,450.

As for whether disc brakes are worth it, we have had a number of discussions on the subject over the past year. I think it's fair to say that 100% of the people who have had disc brakes installed are delighted and would never buy another large trailer without disc brakes.

We had disc brakes installed on our Landmark last October. Night and day difference and I wish I had gotten it done years ago.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion that option would be at the top of my list.
Those of us that have the disc brakes love them.
Those that don't have em think their trailer stops just fine without them.
I've never heard anyone say they were sorry they had the disc brakes.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

Did not have a choice with my Big Horn. Now that I have them, I would not want to be without them. They are worth it more than you could think.

richheck

Seasoned Member
I didn't hesitate to order them on my 17 LM 365. I am totally impressed as to the performance compared to all my past coaches.

DirtyMax88

I'm considering buying a new Charleston model and was wondering if the disc brake option is worth the cost. Seems somewhat expensive and wanted to know if any of you have any thoughts about the value of the option.

Thanks,

tom

I'd be curious to hear what people think about saving the money on ordering your trailer with disc brakes, and take it to MorRyde and have then do the suspension/brakes together. I think everyone would agree that this is quite possibly the best upgrade for these LM's, heck for any of the heavier coaches. It's not a cheap upgrade, we did ours in the winter time when they were running a sale. It took us a while to pull the trigger on this mod, but once it was done we wondered why we waited that long ( probably because it was about 650 miles one way.... :) )

I see you are in Indiana, which would be very convenient for you to get to MorRyde.

Just my two cents worth....

I guarantee you that after one panic stop you will be glad you have them.
This upgrade is at the very top of the list, you will get the best return on your money with the piece of mind knowing you can stop safely, no more praying and White knuckles when you step on the brakes.
I put mine on 2 years ago, best thing I ever did.
One failed stop, and the cost of the upgrade will seem like chump change.

Hockster

danemayer

I'd be curious to hear what people think about saving the money on ordering your trailer with disc brakes, and take it to MorRyde and have then do the suspension/brakes together. I think everyone would agree that this is quite possibly the best upgrade for these LM's, heck for any of the heavier coaches. It's not a cheap upgrade, we did ours in the winter time when they were running a sale. It took us a while to pull the trigger on this mod, but once it was done we wondered why we waited that long ( probably because it was about 650 miles one way.... :) )

I see you are in Indiana, which would be very convenient for you to get to MorRyde.

With the rally special pricing, MorRyde pricing for disc brakes (and combined with IS) is in the same ballpark as Heartland and Performance Trailer Braking.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I just had the disc brakes put on yesterday and did test drive and can not believe how wonderful the are. No grabbing but just a nice easy stop. All rv trailers should have them on for safety reasons.

pegmikef

Whether you order them or get them after market from one of the other vendors is not important, just GET THEM. They are worth every penny.

Aandaar

We put them on our 3970RD about six months ago after having a near miss. Night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnord2

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like the disk brake option is one that is definitely worth getting.

hoefler

I bought my kit from stopyourtrailer.com for $1600, installed them in my driveway ( about 6 hours of work ), and what a difference it made.

jbeletti

I can't comment on the cost aspect of factory disc brakes vs having MORryde install them. But I have had both and I prefer MORryde's install better. I have not had the Titan disc brakes from Performance Trailer Braking but I've seen their installs and heard from many who have them and I wouldn't hesitate to go that route either.

On my current coach, I have the Kodiak disc brakes installed by MORryde.

Having at least 3 viable options for having disc brakes installed is great.

ksucats

No doubt - disc brakes are the way to go. The question becomes which ones -- my 2015 LM 365 Key West has the 'factory' Dexter disc brakes. Proprietary calipers and brake pads. Cost to reshoe - a whole bunch more than the Kodiak caliper and brake pads. Not sure about the bearings and seals - reading what Ron (TitanGuy) provided me, it appears that they are also different and only available from Dexter. Need to look into that more closely as I really should get my bearings repacked soon. This all said, the other side is getting your coach to either MorRyde, Titan Guy's installers, or doing it yourself. Personally, if the finances are there I would recommend MorRyde and have them install the disc brakes while doing their 'IS - Independent Suspension', best of both worlds. Regardless, just my .02 worth.