Introduction - New Rig

IP076

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just purchased a new to me 2016 Bighorn 3270. I'll pick the RV up on the 9th of June as I'm out of town for work at the moment.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should look into first. What are some issues that have shown up early on these RVs that I can look at fixing or possibly preventing.

I'm not new to RVing, but it's been since I was a kid (20 years) and traveled on family vacations. I'll be living in the unit full time and will be moving around a bit.

Would power protection be suggested? Are there any improvements required for insulation? I'm more concerned with cold weather camping than warm weather camping. What else did you folks do to your rigs early on?

jimtoo

HI IP076,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from our other members soon. First make sure your tires are NOT Towmax brand, lots of problems with them. Also get power surge and voltage protection. This is the one that I use and it has saved me 3 or 4 times from surges and the good thing is the warranty is for life. (And they do honor it.. I found out 2 times.) I'll let some of the others talk about cold weather,,, I live in SOUTH TEXAS. :)

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new BH and welcome to the forum and family. If it doesn't already have a surge protector, get one. You may already have one hard wired in but make sure. If not and you don't want it HW, you can get the pedestal plug surge protector. Only other must have would be a water pressure regulator and some water filter system. If I was staying for any period of time I would probably add a water softener also. I'm not using one presently but will in the near future. Others will chime in so enjoy the site and don't be a stranger.

IP076

Hey Guys! Thanks for the quick feedback. Water regulator and filter are already on the list. I'll very likely do the progressive surge and voltage protection, likely hard wired. My only question at the moment is to do it myself or not. Have you guys done that on your own? I've done residential wiring on my own home, I've looked at the directions, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.

I've been reading a little bit on locks for the outside storage areas. What's your thoughts here? I'm thinking it would be worth replacing with quality locks to prevent theft. With my work schedule, there will be times when I leave the rig on its own for two to three weeks, I'd like to make sure my stuff is as secure as it can be. Any recommendations for replacement locks?

danemayer

Hey Guys! Thanks for the quick feedback. Water regulator and filter are already on the list. I'll very likely do the progressive surge and voltage protection, likely hard wired. My only question at the moment is to do it myself or not. Have you guys done that on your own? I've done residential wiring on my own home, I've looked at the directions, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.

I've been reading a little bit on locks for the outside storage areas. What's your thoughts here? I'm thinking it would be worth replacing with quality locks to prevent theft. With my work schedule, there will be times when I leave the rig on its own for two to three weeks, I'd like to make sure my stuff is as secure as it can be. Any recommendations for replacement locks?

Locks are problematic. They keep out honest people and opportunistic thieves. A determined thief will use a pry bar and damage the door to break in. If you're leaving the rig in an area where you're worried about break ins, maybe it would be better to leave the storage area empty and unlocked.

Oregon_Camper

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just purchased a new to me 2016 Bighorn 3270. I'll pick the RV up on the 9th of June as I'm out of town for work at the moment.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should look into first. What are some issues that have shown up early on these RVs that I can look at fixing or possibly preventing.

You should plan on completing a Pre-Delivery Inspection (~4 hours), before you sign the paperwork and hand over your money. You can google to find one, or you're welcome to download mine. Just click on the link in my signature. You will also find some link to useful products for the RV on my site, if you're looking for help with that.

IP076

Locks are problematic. They keep out honest people and opportunistic thieves. A determined thief will use a pry bar and damage the door to break in. If you're leaving the rig in an area where you're worried about break ins, maybe it would be better to leave the storage area empty and unlocked.

That's kind of what I assumed. I guess I'm more worried about keeping your lazy thieves out, as there's really not much that will keep a determined person out.