Suggestions for 5th wheel hitch.

rblack22

I searched and it seems the threads keep repeating themselves, hence the new topic. I had a gooseneck in my 2000 F350 DRW, but recently purchased a 2016 Silverado 3500 DRW. I just installed airbags and now onto the hitch, only I do t know the first thing about them. My Pop's loves his Gooseneck to pull his Cy 4014, I think it rides horrible. I will also be pulling a Cy 4014 that grosses at 18,000, but want the comfort of a 5th wheel hitch without all the bucking. Sorry so long winded, but I'm clueless. Thanks for any response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rblack22

By the way, the truck is not factory prepped for 5th wheel or Gooseneck. Got a **** of a deal though on a leftover 2016. So I will also be needing the "rails"?

bobca1

I am happy with goosebox I recently installed on my Cyclone 3110 which I pull with SRW RAM 3500. Rides much better than the stock pinbox with solid 5th wheel hitch. Not sure how it compares with other pinbox or hitch that has air bags though. Only complaint I have is little more difficult to hook up than a 5th wheel because it's hard to see the ball, but given I have my truck bed back again I don't mind the little inconvenience hooking up at all.

RoadJunkie

Get ready for a lot of opinions on this one. I use, and love, the B&W Hitch with the factory pucks, but they certainty have a rail version.

rblack22

Get ready for a lot of opinions on this one. I use, and love, the B&W Hitch with the factory pucks, but they certainty have a rail version.

I have read a few responses during my original search, that referred to factory "pucks" and it seems that member comments are positive. Should I consider having s dealer install this, or is that even possible on a Chevy after the fact? As I understand these "pucks", it leaves the bed unobstructed, is that correct? The thing I liked about the Gooseneck ball in the old truck.

MP_CS

I have read a few responses during my original search, that referred to factory "pucks" and it seems that member comments are positive. Should I consider having s dealer install this, or is that even possible on a Chevy after the fact? As I understand these "pucks", it leaves the bed unobstructed, is that correct? The thing I liked about the Gooseneck ball in the old truck.

I would get the BW turnover ball and fifth wheel hitch for same..

hboy1

I have the factory pucks and like the unobstructed bed. But I would pry like the b&w turn over ball just as good. I think it's a personal preference with the user easily getting comfortable with either system. If I was in ur situation, I would move on the turn over ball from b&w.

I use the Andersen ultimate 5th wheel hitch. It's been easy to tow with and easy to remove to use the truck bed.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If it were me.!!!!
I would do the B&W mount, and the B&W Companion hitch.
Then do the TrailAir pinbox on the rig.
I have both and absolutely love my set up.
Also I believe the new mounting system you can get the 4 pucks and the center goosneck ball hitch all in one. Just like the factory set up.

Hope this helps

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rblack22

Thanks all for your input. It's been very informative. Not 100% but have the B&M turnover hitch and Anderson Ultimate on my Amazon shopping list at the moment.

kbausano

Thanks all for your input. It's been very informative. Not 100% but have the B&M turnover hitch and Anderson Ultimate on my Amazon shopping list at the moment.

I too own the aluminum Anderson Ultimate hitch - and I find it works very well. Less expense up front, extremely lightweight (35 pounds approx), no grease issues. So far, nothing bad to say about it - and even better, it's made and backed in the USA

rblack22

I purchased the B&W turnover Gooseneck. I also purchased the Anderson Ultimate. Hoping it eliminates the really annoying chucking my dads Gooseneck adapter experiences.

WillyBill

IMHO - You will still want to go with a Trail Air Flex Air pin box as it totally stops the "fight" between the TV, the road, and the 5ver. I recently purchased my Flex Air and it is hard to believe that I'm pulling the same trailer.

CoveredWagon

I have the factory pucks and like the unobstructed bed. But I would pry like the b&w turn over ball just as good. I think it's a personal preference with the user easily getting comfortable with either system. If I was in ur situation, I would move on the turn over ball from b&w.

I use the Andersen ultimate 5th wheel hitch. It's been easy to tow with and easy to remove to use the truck bed.

Plus 2 on the Andersen ultimate

rblack22

So I bought the Anderson but I realize I now need a new Pin box. Since I'm still a relative newbie, I can't decide between a Moryde or the Air ride. Any input on this would also be appreciated, such as durability and reliability and, of course, comfort.

CoveredWagon

So I bought the Anderson but I realize I now need a new Pin box. Since I'm still a relative newbie, I can't decide between a Moryde or the Air ride. Any input on this would also be appreciated, such as durability and reliability and, of course, comfort.

why do you need a new in box?

CoveredWagon

The original pin box was butchered by the mechanics at Lazy Days, to install the goose neck adaptor. Plus
the pin box and adaptor are rusted all to heck.
I have heard these pin boxes greatly reduce the bucking and chucking and reduce even more what the Anderson doesn't take out. I just towed the 4014 to the Keys for the annual family vacay, using the Gooseneck adaptor, since I didn't have the time to get the rusted adaptor off and use my new Anderson. Sadly, I still had bucking and chucking in rough areas.

I guess nothing removes all the bucking, but the Mor Ryde and the Andersen seem to be as good as you can get. It works as advertised, IMHO My $.02 opinion.