Air bags

jargan

Jargan
I am looking to add air bags to my rear axel to help firm up my ride as I am very heavy on the tow vehicle.
I have never used air bags before so looking for some advise or pros and cons to what brand of air bags to look for. Any help will be much appreciated. Tanks Jim A

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim I run the Airlift bags and compressor set up
Very happy with it.
Firestone makes a great set up too.
I think my system installed was $1300

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

I had Firestone Airbags installed about 6-8 weeks ago. System is great...has an on-board compressor that is controlled via the remote I keep in cab of truck.

jargan

Jargan
Thanks, I'll check both of them out. I've heard of the Firestone air bags but that's about all, don't know anything about them.

Gary521

Both Airlift and Firestone are good. I used Airlift as they are a bit easier to install ( myself ) and fit my application better. Your case may be different. I used the Wireless One pump and wireless remote - another easy install.

TravelTiger on your link - You can't fix stupid

farside291

Consider the 7500 pound bags, more capacity at a much lower psi. Do we need that much capacity, no, but it makes for a much softer ride. They cost about twice as much but they install the same as the 5000 pound bags. I ordered mine from Air Lift only because that's what I had before. The bags now have built in bump stops so you don't have to worry about minimum air pressure.

jargan

Jargan
Jim I run the Airlift bags and compressor set up
Very happy with it.
Firestone makes a great set up too.
I think my system installed was $1300

Jerro

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jarrod, I just got a quote from Dan's Hitch Supply in Elkhart for the wireless system so they are installing on Wednesday.
Thanks,
Jim A

Vinny773

Jarrod, I just got a quote from Dan's Hitch Supply in Elkhart for the wireless system so they are installing on Wednesday.
Thanks,
Jim A

Jim,
what price quote did Dan's give you if you don't mind me asking. We will be in Elkhart on Wednesday

jargan

Jargan
Jim,
what price quote did Dan's give you if you don't mind me asking. We will be in Elkhart on Wednesday

For the Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate (this is a new bag with a center cone like the 7500#) PRICED AT $670, and the WIRELESS ONE P/N 25870 controller priced at $574. This quote was for installed including taxes.
I didn't shop it around for price just for dealer reputation, that was more important then pricing.to me.

I did talk to one fellow who paid $1300 for the original Load Lifter 5000 and the Dual gauge P/N 25856. So not sure if the one I'm getting is better or not but I did like the wireless part better.
Jim A.

Vinny773

For the Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate (this is a new bag with a center cone like the 7500#) PRICED AT $670, and the WIRELESS ONE P/N 25870 controller priced at $574. This quote was for installed including taxes.
I didn't shop it around for price just for dealer reputation, that was more important then pricing.to me.

I did talk to one fellow who paid $1300 for the original Load Lifter 5000 and the Dual gauge P/N 25856. So not sure if the one I'm getting is better or not but I did like the wireless part better.
Jim A.

thanks Jim I totally agree that dealer reputation is most important. I was at Dan's last week and every employee was super professional, knowledgeable and treated me like a customer should be treated. Will you be at the Rally? We will be picking up our new Oshkosh at Tiara RV hopefully this week or the Rally.

BigGuy82

I am looking to add air bags to my rear axel to help firm up my ride as I am very heavy on the tow vehicle.
I have never used air bags before so looking for some advise or pros and cons to what brand of air bags to look for. Any help will be much appreciated. Tanks Jim A

You probably already know this, but just in case:
  1. with or without air bags, the manufacturers specs don't change. You must still stay within the weight limits to be safe.
  2. air bags will give you a better "ride" (my opinion) - they help suck up road shocks
  3. air bags will level your rig so your headlights won't be pointing at the stars (however, see point one)
  4. air bags will help you steer better by putting the steer axle back where it belongs instead of dealing with a light front end
  5. air bags will help you stop better because you are level when you start your braking action (this is just my opininion based on experience)

I have Air Lift Ultimate 5000 with the bumpstops - very satisfied. I inflate using the compressor from my Kleinn air horn. I have a separate chuck in my rear bumper with two valves stems next to it - one for each airbag - and I inflate using an air hose and a "height stick" I fabricated from PVC pipe. Saved me $500-$600 and it is very reliable. It's also no hastle when I hook up.

Hansel

I have a set of Airlift bags with on board compressor, and WOW what a difference in the ride when towing.

jakoenig1

I have owned two trucks that I installed Load Lifter 5000 air bags on. Very happy with them with one exception. One bag in each set developed a leak in the schrader valve and caused one bag to go flat. The valves come preassembled and I didn't check them after installation. On the first truck, this happened after two years of use about 15,000 miles of use. On the new 2016 Dodge 2500, it happened after one year, about 6,000 trailer miles. Tightening the valve fixed the problem in both cases. I don't think anyone loosened them because it was a slow leak that took hours to go flat. Anyone with Load Lifters should check the tightnes of the valves.

Ride is much better and there is a section of I10 going into Bay Saint Louis that will cause your truck to bottom multiple times. Glad I had them. Also glad I bought the model with the rubber snubber built in as I had to drive about 100 miles with the new truck bottomed on the snubber. I didn't have a schrader tool with me. I now carry one.

BigGuy82

I have owned two trucks that I installed Load Lifter 5000 air bags on. Very happy with them with one exception. One bag in each set developed a leak in the schrader valve and caused one bag to go flat. The valves come preassembled and I didn't check them after installation. On the first truck, this happened after two years of use about 15,000 miles of use. On the new 2016 Dodge 2500, it happened after one year, about 6,000 trailer miles. Tightening the valve fixed the problem in both cases. I don't think anyone loosened them because it was a slow leak that took hours to go flat. Anyone with Load Lifters should check the tightnes of the valves.

Ride is much better and there is a section of I10 going into Bay Saint Louis that will cause your truck to bottom multiple times. Glad I had them. Also glad I bought the model with the rubber snubber built in as I had to drive about 100 miles with the new truck bottomed on the snubber. I didn't have a schrader tool with me. I now carry one.

Interesting - same exact thing happened to me with less than 500 miles on the bags. Tightened the Schraeder valve - no luck. Went to Auto Zone, bought a package of cheap valves, installed one and haven't had a problem since. Almost like Air Lift got a bad batch of valves.

Todster

I installed Torque brand bags just 2 months back. The Firestone bags were on a national backorder. Very pleased with the quality of the products. Bags are designed identical to firestones. Brackets are the identical cut and welded brackets. All about $150 cheaper than Firestone. No compressor yet but soon. Just individual fills.

Agree 100% on the ride while towing after adding them. Won't be without again. This is of course with a heavy pin weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: