Ford dash board message

BusManRG

Have any of you Ford owners gotten this dash message "wiring fault on trailer"? It came on for a few seconds today and then off. Ironically it was as we were driving home from the dealer after they had the Big Horn a month for warranty work. Haven't looked in the Ford owner's manual yet. Asking the pros first! Lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sandy it's possibly a bad 7-way plug connection. Sit in the truck and have Rich wiggle it or unplug it and plug it back in. See if it's the same message

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I had a message like that on the RAM console last year. One brake assembly was falling apart, overheating and melting.

richheck

Seasoned Member
My 6.0 would do that on occasion, turned out to be a loose 7 way plug like Jerrod mentioned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BusManRG

Sandy it's possibly a bad 7-way plug connection. Sit in the truck and have Rich wiggle it or unplug it and plug it back in. See if it's the same message

We'll play with it tomorrow before we take it back to the barn.
Sandy

jnbhobe

Seven wire plug both sides need cleaned and adjusted.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pjones1969

I got that message last weekend on the way home, I found a nicked wire in the junction box where the 7 wire pigtail comes in at the hitch

I did a google search and it seems there are a lot of different possibilities, bad connections, need dielectric grease, loose wires, nicked wires, loose ground, some said it was the trailer brake controller, and a few other reasons or theories..... I hope the nicked wire I found resolved my issue cause I am no electrician!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_B

That was the cause of the same error message on my truck.

pegmikef

I got that message and at the same time my brakes didn't work. Reinserted the plug, message went away and brakes worked. A couple of days later same message again and brakes didn't work. On a whim, I got my contact cleaner and sprayed each prong of both the male and female plugs. Message was gone, brakes worked and over 2K miles later, still working fine. Now, I routinely use the contact cleaner after the plug has been sitting in the open for any period of time.

BusManRG

Just a quick update to help anyone in the future...Service tech removed the wheels and brakes and found that one of the wires in the brake assembly had come loose from the brake plate causing them to rub and fray and eventually short-out. With Heartland's blessing he replaced the whole assembly. Dropped the rig off at 7:30a. Call from tech before 9a diagnosing the issue. Another call at 11a letting us know that repairs were complete and we could come by and pick up our baby any time!

Thanks for the referral Richheck. Great service!:D

Sandy

richheck

Seasoned Member
Just a quick update to help anyone in the future...Service tech removed the wheels and brakes and found that one of the wires in the brake assembly had come loose from the brake plate causing them to rub and fray and eventually short-out. With Heartland's blessing he replaced the whole assembly. Dropped the rig off at 7:30a. Call from tech before 9a diagnosing the issue. Another call at 11a letting us know that repairs were complete and we could come by and pick up our baby any time!

Thanks for the referral Richheck. Great service!:D

Sandy

Glad ait ll worked out Sandy, I'm sure we will be using his services in the future.