jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport

jbeletti

On May 12th, I picked up a 2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Newport in Elkhart. I'll use this thread to share my projects for this coach. While I plan to use pictures in nearly every post for each project - I also plan to provide links to my online image galleries for the projects. This saves me time in making the posts and allows me to share more images.

Jim's 2018 Landmark Newport Modifications and Repairs Index

​...#..POST................
.............MODIFICATION NAME.................................LINK
1 3Installed Coach Proxy (CANBUS Network) installationLink
2 5MORryde Step Above Entry Steps upgradeLink
3 8SeeLevel Tank Monitoring System upgradeLink
4 11Suburban Nautilus OnDemand Hot Water Heater upgradeLink
5 13Ethernet and Wireless (WiFi) Network Equipment installationLink
6 14IP Cameras and NVR installationLink
7 15Filtration and Reverse Osmosis Water Plant installationLink
8 17Ice Maker Line (Stainless Steel) upgradeLink
9 52Shortened RV Ladder modificationLink
10 57Kitchen Island Light modificationLink
1175Storage Space addition in plumbing chase areaLink
12102Parallel Water Pumps upgradeLink
13103Inverter Status Light installationLink
14106Cell Phone Signal Booster addition (SureCall Fusion2Go 3.0 RV)Link
15124Propane Tank Monitor installation (Mopeka TankCheck)Link
16127Hose Bib addition to Door Side of CoachLink
17156Magazine Rack additionLink
18161Air Conditioning Volume Reduction in Half BathroomLink
19166Installed Separate Thermostat for Suburban FurnaceLink
20172Relocated Half Bath Light SwitchesLink
21175Pantry Door Enhancement - added Push Button LatchLink
22181REPAIR: Black Tank Valve RepairLink
23189New Batteries, Cables, Breakers + added Battery MonitorLink

​...

Last edited:

Bones

Nice Now I can say that somehow you have modified a device for the Tiffin Motorhomes. How well is the conversion working? I watched the video on their website about the device. Very nice concept. I also want to add that do you have an earlier version of the MorRyde steps?

jbeletti

jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - Coach Proxy

Mod: Installed Coach Proxy

Coach Proxy is a hardware/software product created by friend, former Landmark owner and current Technical Moderator on this forum, Michael Kidd. He developed Coach Proxy for his own use, to control a large amount of items on his Tiffin motorhome.

At it's heart, Coach Proxy can monitor and communicate on a CAN-Bus in an RV that uses the RV-C variant of the CAN-Bus protocol. In the case of his coach, Tiffin makes available on the RV-C Bus, lighting, fans, HVAC, door/baggage locks and more. The beauty of Coach Proxy is am amazing User Interface (UI) that can be viewed on any smart device (phone/tablet) or computer - all via a web browser (not app based).

I have 1 item in my coach, that I installed that uses the RV-C protocol - a SeeLevel Tank Level Monitoring System by Garnett Instruments. Note that I am using their RV-C variant display panel.

Michael custom coded a lite version of Coach Proxy for me that allows me to see my tank levels (I've only installed a Fresh Water sensors as of 6-June-2017).

In addition to being able to monitor my tank levels from any device, from anywhere, the more significant reason I have it is the control Michael has written into it. It will control automatic production of Reverse Osmosis (RO) water in my coach. We produce RO water for 100% of our water needs using a water plant I created for my previous coach. That project will be detailed in its own post.

Michael did a "proof of concept" project earlier this year for the RV Lock company to show how an RV Lock could be controlled from a smart device (phone/tablet) or computer - all via a web browser (not app based). I'll detail this RV Lock mod in its own post. Michael included this code in my version of Coach Proxy. This is why you see wires coming out of an RV Lock FOB and an 8-channel relay module (4 channels used for the RV Lock mod).

Here's a picture of the Coach Proxy and associated hardware
2018 Heartland Landmark Newport - Coach Proxy - Control Hardware - 01.jpg

I may add more pictures later, including screen shots of the user interface. I'll post those pictures in this gallery.

Bones

Re: jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - Coach Proxy

Mod: Installed Coach Proxy

Coach Proxy is a hardware/software product created by friend, former Landmark owner and current Technical Moderator on this forum, Michael Kidd. He developed Coach Proxy for his own use, to control a large amount of items on his Tiffin motorhome.

At it's heart, Coach Proxy can monitor and communicate on a CAN-Bus in an RV that uses the RV-C variant of the CAN-Bus protocol. In the case of his coach, Tiffin makes available on the RV-C Bus, lighting, fans, HVAC, door/baggage locks and more. The beauty of Coach Proxy is am amazing User Interface (UI) that can be viewed on any smart device (phone/tablet) or computer - all via a web browser (not app based).

I have 1 item in my coach, that I installed that uses the RV-C protocol - a SeeLevel Tank Level Monitoring System by Garnett Instruments. Note that I am using their RV-C variant display panel.

Michael custom coded a lite version of Coach Proxy for me that allows me to see my tank levels (I've only installed a Fresh Water sensors as of 6-June-2017).

In addition to being able to monitor my tank levels from any device, from anywhere, the more significant reason I have it is the control Michael has written into it. It will control automatic production of Reverse Osmosis (RO) water in my coach. We produce RO water for 100% of our water needs using a water plant I created for my previous coach. That project will be detailed in its own post.

Michael did a "proof of concept" project earlier this year for the RV Lock company to show how an RV Lock could be controlled from a smart device (phone/tablet) or computer - all via a web browser (not app based). I'll detail this RV Lock mod in its own post. Michael included this code in my version of Coach Proxy. This is why you see wires coming out of an RV Lock FOB and an 8-channel relay module (4 channels used for the RV Lock mod).

Here's a picture of the Coach Proxy and associated hardware
View attachment 52252

I may add more pictures later, including screen shots of the user interface. I'll post those pictures in this gallery.

I see you have a few more relays left so you could potentially add more control later down the road. This is an awesome project so I'll keep an eye on it.

jbeletti

New Product Installed: MORryde Step Above entry steps

When my coach was at MORryde getting Kodiak Disc Brakes and Independent Suspension installed (supplied to Heartland by MORryde), they asked if I would be interested in trying their Step Above entry step.

I approved (supplied to Heartland by MORryde) and they installed the latest version with the stairway handle. While we have not traveled with it (except from Elkhart to Goshen), we really like it when setup at the campground. How we like it long-term will be better known later this fall after we take some trips with the new coach and use the steps in rest areas, truck stops and several campgrounds. But so far, we like it a lot!
2018 Heartland Landmark Newport - MORryde StepAbove - 03.jpg

See more images in this gallery.

jbeletti

Re: jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - Coach Proxy

I see you have a few more relays left so you could potentially add more control later down the road. This is an awesome project so I'll keep an eye on it.
Agreed Dave. Michael exposed those relays to me on the UI too, so it will be real easy to use them for other stuff. Then when I do use them, he can easily push new code to the CP to update the relay labels in the UI.

Bones

New Product Installed: MORryde Step Above entry steps

When my coach was at MORryde getting Kodiak Disc Brakes and Independent Suspension installed (supplied to Heartland by MORryde), they asked if I would be interested in trying their Step Above entry step.

I approved (supplied to Heartland by MORryde) and they installed the latest version with the stairway handle. While we have not traveled with it (except from Elkhart to Goshen), we really like it when setup at the campground. How we like it long-term will be better known later this fall after we take some trips with the new coach and use the steps in rest areas, truck stops and several campgrounds. But so far, we like it a lot!
View attachment 52254

See more images in this gallery.

I like the new version. You should not trip over the extension legs. They could add dog screens on the back maybe. So the pups don't see all the way through.

jbeletti

PLACEHOLDER

MOD: Installed SeeLevel Tank Monitoring System

This post will be used to detail the project above - as soon as I get the project completed a bit more

See more pictures in this gallery.

jbeletti

I like the new version. You should not trip over the extension legs. They could add dog screens on the back maybe. So the pups don't see all the way through.
I think that could be done easily. My small dogs have done well with it so far.

jbeletti

MOD: Suburban Nautilus OnDemand Hot Water Heater

This isn't really a mod, but it is cool. Before my coach was built (March 2017), Suburban (Airxcel) asked Heartland if we would try their Nautilus OnDemand Water Heater. I said "yes please" :) Suburban supplied it and Heartland installed it.

While the first one did have an issue - they came out to the campground in swapped it out and it's working well. It fits in the same space as the normal water heater. It runs on propane (only when hot water is called for by any hot water tap) and 12 VDC (controls and fan).

It came with a wall controller that we don't need to touch, but it's nice to look at it when using the kitchen sink. When you open the hot water tap, an impeller symbol appears on-screen. A couple seconds later, a flame symbol appears. About 30 seconds later, as hot water is produced and all the cold water is pushed out of the line to the tap, warm, then hot water comes out the tap. So, on demand - yes. Instant - no. Time will tell how we like this product but I'm always game to try things.

Here's a picture of the indoor display:
2018 Heartland Landmark Newport - Suburban Nautilus OnDemand Water Heater - Display.jpg

jbeletti

jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - Network

PLACEHOLDER

MOD: Installed Wired and WiFi Network

This post will be used to detail the project above - as soon as I get the project completed a bit more

jbeletti

jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - IP Cameras and NVR

PLACEHOLDER

MOD: Installed IP Cameras and NVR

jbeletti

jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - Water Plant

PLACEHOLDER

MOD: Installed Filtration and Reverse Osmosis Water Plant

2018 Heartland Landmark Newport - Water Plant Installation - Part 1a - 13-May-2017.jpg

jbeletti

jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - Ice Maker Line Upgrade

MOD: Upgraded Ice Maker Line

No pictures for this mod - sorry.

While we (Kevin W) and I were pulling wires and pipes in the underbelly, I decided to replace the 1/4" poly ice maker line with a stainless steel braided residential ice maker line.

Steps we took:
  1. Turn off ice maker line water supply at valve under kitchen sink
  2. Removed ice maker line from valve under sink and couple onto the 1/4" nut on that line, using a brass coupler, the new SS line. We taped the splice so it would pull better
  3. Opened up a 12"x"12, 3-sided flap in the underbelly below the island area
  4. Opened up a large section of underbelly below the fresh water tank - for another project
  5. We pulled on the 1/4" poly back by the fresh water tank while we fed the SS line down the floor penetration below the dishwasher. We also used the hole in the underbelly to pull/feed the line
  6. We pulled the new line all the way back to the fresh water tank area as that's where the 1/4" poly exits through the frame and into the Flex Guard with wiring and such
  7. Using another section of SS line, we threaded it through the wiring holes in the Flex Guard and pulled it the length of the kitchen slide to a spot below the refer
  8. We drilled a new hole up through the slide floor, right behind the refer where we could pull the line up and out the refer access hatch on the side of the coach
  9. We joined the 2 sections of SS line, taped it up and pushed that splice into the frame along, then secured the SS line under the slide
  10. We turned on the water to flush the new line and check for leaks at the valve and the splice and turned the water off
  11. We disconnected the 1/4" poly line from the water solenoid on the back of the refer and connected the new SS line there, pulled all the extra SS line up behind the refer and carefully coiled it up and secured it
  12. We turned the water back on, checked for leaks and buttoned everything back up
Mod went really smooth and now I have no 1/4" poly line in the underbelly or exposed outside the coach.

For pictures to a previous mod like this, including part brands/numbers, follow this link and scroll to the April 2 mod section.

Last edited:

richheck

Seasoned Member
Jim, thank you again for starting this thread. Great job with all your mods - we all can see the smiles on your face as these are completed. Thanks again, safe travels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

farside291

Re: jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport - Water Plant

PLACEHOLDER

MOD: Installed Filtration and Reverse Osmosis Water Plant

View attachment 52257

This looks very similar to the ISpring 6 stage I mounted under my sink, does this system have a pressure tank, If so how big is it and will it provide enough water for the whole coach. My pressure tank is about 3 gallons and takes over an hour to refill once it empties.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim you're like The "Heartland Batman" you got all of the cool stuff !!!!
Love you set up, send Michael my way when your done please. 😎

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk