Want to place skid wheels on back trailer bumper of 2015 North Trail 24bhs.

dmeares

I would like to place skid wheels on back bumper of my just bought 2015 Heartland North Trail 24BHS. Is that possible or recommended? Just need a little added protection and clearance when backing/pulling out of my driveway. Any thoughts.

danemayer

Hi dmeares,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If the skid wheels come into contact with the ground, you'll be putting quite a bit of the trailer weight onto them. I doubt the bumper would handle it.

But maybe someone has added skid wheels and can share their approach and their experience.

eddylives

In my experience working on heavy equipment and log truck trailers I would consider this if I needed to do what your thinking about.
I would find a substantial place on the frame of the trailer to mount any kind of wheels/skid pads or such....the bumper it as strong as a tin can lol.
Now keep in mind you would require some sort of smaller castor type wheels that have the capacity to take the weight of your trailer without failing if they will be used regularly entering/exiting your driveway.
This will require some serious calculation of angles of contact and mounting position and style.
I too had a trail runner that I managed to remove paint off of the bumper while accessing some camping areas lol.

HornedToad

Here are some photos of the Skid Wheels from eTrailer that I welded to my frame rail. You may be better off with just a Skid extension on your frame rail as show in the last photo?

Attachments

• SKID 4.jpg
    SKID 4.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 31
  • SKID 6.jpg
    SKID 6.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Skid.jpg
    Skid.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 40

eddylives

Here are some photos of the Skid Wheels from eTrailer that I welded to my frame rail. You may be better off with just a Skid extension on your frame rail as show in the last photo?

That is really close to what I had imagined lol

dmeares

Thanks for your response. The welded ones are a great choice. Thanks