Rear AC Problems, need your help

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Update, problems fixed,Rear AC Problems

None Original problem post is below.

The tech was out Friday and fixed the AC unit.
Problem 1 . Was the leaking inside. Fix, The sealent (using this term loosly) was not keeping the hot air from mixing with the cold air, and I could see light lookin up through the vent. The tech reinstalled the sealent foam material and the used foil tape to seal everything up.

Problem 2. AIr conditioner compressor cycle off/on when themostat was off . Fix. was replacing the control circuit board in the AC unit. Tech thought that maybe the water leaked onto the board and shorted it out.

It ran all weekend and no drips and shut off when it was suppose to. Also the air through the ceiling vents flows at a higher vilosity than before.

We have owned our new Bighorn 3670RL for about 2 weeks now, and have been having Probles with the rear 15K unit.

The dealer is coming out Friday to look at it, but since this is my first 15K unit with a wall mounted thermostat control, I have a few questions.

Here's the problems

Water dripping inside. Thermostat set to AC, auto (or on either way it drips), fan HI, and about 75 degrees. Drain hole is clean looking from outside unit. Also when raining NO drips from unit, so seal should be ok.

They say this unit has a freeze sensor, that may have come loose.

Now when I turn the thermostat to the off position, fan to auto and slide the temp all the way up, the unit will still cycle on and off. I finnally shut the breaker off to keep the unit from running.

The front AC a 13k unit was installed at dealer, is working great.

now the questions

What would cause the the unit to cycle off/on with thermostat set to off? Is it the AC unit or the thermostat that could be causing the problem?

Last edited:

SmokeyBare

There have been a few who have found the freeze sensor not connected. To discover if it is properly placed your going to need remove the return air vent/filter door. Using a flash light... look up toward the middle of the unit... above the electrical connection box. BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE POWER in the center of the condenser coils there should be a small round sensor with two wires running to it. If it's not there it is probably laying inside the unit... I found mine toward the front of the A/C unit... sort of tucked along the front side.

This Sensor will have a metal wire clip... that wire clip is designed to slip between the fins of the Condenser... I was told just above the center of the unit... sort of in the top 1/3 of the coils... but in the middle. It will already be attached to the controls of the A/C unit.

While your looking inside, look at the dividing wall between the "Intake & Exhaust Air" This wall is made of sheet metal and MUST be a sealed so the air does not circulate inside the A/C unit. The sheet metal divider wall is held with double sided foam tape.

I found mine was down maybe 3/4 of an inch. This allowed the cold air to flow back to the return side... and I believe it causes a Freeze Up condition to happen. If you discover this in your A/C unit.... best way I found is to remove the screws holding the electrical box... leaving the wires alone... just move it aside so you can secure this sheet metal wall so it is air tight as you can make it.

I used an aluminum foil tape... found it at Lowe's or Home Depot... I used several strips of this to block any air passing between the exhaust and the intake side. I also used the same tape to smooth out the duct work where the Cold Exhaust air flows into the ceiling duct work. You can do a search in the forum for " AC air flow problem SOLVED "That link has several good suggestions as well as a few photos that should help you.

Good Luck !

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
The tech was out Friday and fixed the AC unit.
Problem 1 . Was the leaking inside. Fix, The sealent (using this term loosly) was not keeping the hot air from mixing with the cold air, and I could see light lookin up through the vent. The tech reinstalled the sealent foam material and the used foil tape to seal everything up.

Problem 2. AIr conditioner compressor cycle off/on when themostat was off . Fix. was replacing the control circuit board in the AC unit. Tech thought that maybe the water leaked onto the board and shorted it out.

It ran all weekend and no drips and shut off when it was suppose to. Also the air through the ceiling vents flows at a higher vilosity than before.