Bighorn 3570RS Mods

Alan_B

Woud love to see a pic when you get a moment. The head area being open with the subject change is the only reason that I have not already made the change to the queen bed. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get a mattress and how much?

We have a Sleep Number bed at home so we bought a Sleep Number mattress on sale at Camping World. I don’t remember the price.

Here is is a photo of my wife’s side of the bed. She hung a padded board for photographs. Then added a couple of baskets for night stand stuff. As you can see the floor is a bit higher by the head of the bed (in the slide).

Attachments

• D697340B-4620-42D8-9455-5337B9A9EC27.jpg
    D697340B-4620-42D8-9455-5337B9A9EC27.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
We have a Sleep Number bed at home so we bought a Sleep Number mattress on sale at Camping World. I don’t remember the price.

Here is is a photo of my wife’s side of the bed. She hung a padded board for photographs. Then added a couple of baskets for night stand stuff. As you can see the floor is a bit higher by the head of the bed (in the slide).

Thanks. That helps a lot. Because there is extra space on both sides, does the mattress slide from side to side when traveling?

Alan_B

It has been raining all week here in southern Pennsylvania so, what else, I have been catching up on projects.

1. I have replaced or added magnetic cabinet catches to several of the cabinet. I have also adjusted the others to close better. Sorry no photos.

2. We finally replaced the backsplash in the bathroom. The DW was not a big fan of the factory tiles (see before picture). So we stripped those off and replaced it with Smart Tiles.

Attachments

• Backsplash_after.jpg
    Backsplash_after.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Backsplash_before.jpg
    Backsplash_before.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 133

CoveredWagon

It has been raining all week here in southern Pennsylvania so, what else, I have been catching up on projects.

1. I have replaced or added magnetic cabinet catches to several of the cabinet. I have also adjusted the others to close better. Sorry no photos.

2. We finally replaced the backsplash in the bathroom. The DW was not a big fan of the factory tiles (see before picture). So we stripped those off and replaced it with Smart Tiles.

Much improved. I agree with DW 😉

Alan_B

Today I finished an upgrade of the pin box. The factory Lippert 1621 solid metal pin box was replaced with a MORryde rubber pin box.

(I considered the Lippert Trailair pin box, but went with the MORryde for cost and weight concerns.)

Installation was pretty straight-forward:
  1. I removed the fiberglass shroud and the emergency brake switch.
  2. Then I loosened all 10 of the pin box bolts, then removed 6, leaving 2 on each side.
  3. I then hitched the fifth wheel to the trailer and removed the remaining 4 bolts. I could now drive forward, with the old pin box still hitched to the truck and free of the fifth wheel.
  4. I was able to removed the old pin box by myself. Installing the new pin box was another matter, so I called on a couple of helpers.
  5. I rented a mechanical lift which I used to lift the new pin box into position. With the main weight of the new pin box on the lift, the three of us were able to move the pin box around enough to install the 10 pin box bolts.
  6. Next I drilled a new mounting hold for the emergency brake switch.
  7. Then I torqued down the 10 pin box bolts.

Attachments

• New box complete.jpg
    New box complete.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 120
  • New box with lift.jpg
    New box with lift.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Old Pin Box Off.jpg
    Old Pin Box Off.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Before with shroud.jpg
    Before with shroud.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 116

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks great! Will you have to change your hitch height? Tell us how it tows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_B

Looks great! Will you have to change your hitch height? ...

Great question. I took several measurements before and after the pin box change. The new pin box is within 1 inch +/- of the old pin box in terms of hitch height.

I'll let you know how it tows! :)

Alan_B

...Tell us how it tows...

I took it for a test drive today to try out the MORryde pin box. The improvement was very noticeable. The chucking was greatly reduced.

There was still some "porpoising" in the rear suspension of the truck. I have a set of Timbrens on order and hopefully that will do the job.