Bighorn 3570RS Mods

Nuclearcowboy

I noticed that in a coach at the RV show. I looked and it was because of some plumbing in the way. I guess the plumbing was adjusted in your rig but no one told the trash can installer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plumbing certainly wasn't an issue with my unit in moving the trash can, but I could see that it could be in some units.

Alan_B

Here are two more modifications to the inside of the unit.

We added some black filter inserts to the furnace vents on the floor. We didn't like the way the ducting was visible through the vent, and we were concerned about stuff falling into the vent and going down the ducting. So I bought some black furnace filter material from Home Depot and cut pieces to size. I also added this to the cold air return.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the other interior mod. This is purely "cosmetic", pun intended.

My wife wanted to have a lighted makeup mirror in the bedroom. She bought a small mirror with a suction cup mount. However the suction cup would not stick on the side of the wooden dresser. So we bought a 50¢ tile at Home Depot and mounted it to the wall with Command velcro strips. Now the suction cup mount holds securely to the tile, which is securely attached to the side of the dresser.

We also put command hooks and two small puck lights above the TV to hold and light another mirror.

These items come down for travel, or if we want to watch the bedroom TV.

HWHL

Attachments

• 1 Before - floor vent.jpg
    1 Before - floor vent.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 2 Black filter cut to size.jpg
    2 Black filter cut to size.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 3 After.jpg
    3 After.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 4 Mirror mirror on the wall.jpg
    4 Mirror mirror on the wall.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 3 Hooks and puck lights.jpg
    3 Hooks and puck lights.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 2 Mirror stuck to tile.jpg
    2 Mirror stuck to tile.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 1 Tile with velcro.jpg
    1 Tile with velcro.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 238

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here are two more modifications to the inside of the unit.

We added some black filter inserts to the furnace vents on the floor. We didn't like the way the ducting was visible through the vent, and we were concerned about stuff falling into the vent and going down the ducting. So I bought some black furnace filter material from Home Depot and cut pieces to size. I also added this to the cold air return.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the other interior mod. This is purely "cosmetic", pun intended.

My wife wanted to have a lighted makeup mirror in the bedroom. She bought a small mirror with a suction cup mount. However the suction cup would not stick on the side of the wooden dresser. So we bought a 50¢ tile at Home Depot and mounted it to the wall with Command velcro strips. Now the suction cup mount holds securely to the tile, which is securely attached to the side of the dresser.

We also put command hooks and two small puck lights above the TV to hold and light another mirror.

These items come down for travel, or if we want to watch the bedroom TV.

HWHL

Great ideas!

I really like the idea of the foam in the heat vents to keep stuff from falling in, at least for the "off season". I am not sure I'd run the furnace with it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_B

One last item for today.

In the cabinet next to the lighted makeup mirror my wife added an earring display holder on the back of the cabinet door.

She used needle art plastic canvas from Hobby Lobby, cut to size, slightly bowed, held in place with clear tape.

Attachments

• 1 cabinet door.jpg
    1 cabinet door.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 2 earring display holder.jpg
    2 earring display holder.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 3 close up.jpg
    3 close up.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 192

Alan_B

One more "last item".

We changed out the light sconces on either side of the couch. Just a style preference thing.

Attachments

• 2 close up.jpg
    2 close up.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 1 wide shot.jpg
    1 wide shot.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 185
Did you doing anything with the area at the top of the bed to close the gap between bed and wall? Is it a straight cut from bottom of the plywood to the top and nothing interfering with the cutting. We are thinking of doing the same thing. What is the cord coming out from under the bed to the outlet? You have inspired me to do mine as well.

Tom L

Alan_B

Did you doing anything with the area at the top of the bed to close the gap between bed and wall? Is it a straight cut from bottom of the plywood to the top and nothing interfering with the cutting. We are thinking of doing the same thing. What is the cord coming out from under the bed to the outlet? You have inspired me to do mine as well.

Tom L

I did not change anything at the top of the bed against the wall. Yes, two straight cuts up the right and left sides of the plywood platform.

We put the sleep number controller/air pump box in the under-bed storage area. We drilled a hold in the storage box sidewall near the outlet in order to run the sleep number AC cord. We also drilled a hole in the platform to run the hoses up to the top of the mattress. Let me know if you want more detailed photos.

At home we have the adjustable bed frame and we keep the head of the bed raised about 4 inches. For the fifth wheel we bought foam bed wedges to accomplish the same thing. They sit between the mattress and the plywood platform to raise the head of the bed.

It was a pretty easy modification. The hardest parts were manhandling the king bed out of the RV and then cleaning up the sawdust from the plywood cuts.

Thanks. You just gave me my next weekend project. Appreciate the added information. Will probably go with a standard pillow top mattress instead of the sleep number, but regardless seems to be an easy project.

dbbls59

I too replaced the king with a queen. We wanted to upgrade the mattress and gain more room around the bed. I modified the storage under the bed also to keep the toe room along side the bed. It was a very easy mod and looks like it came from the factory this way. I also removed the television from the bed room and made a three way mirror in that location. Makes it much easier for the wife to fix her hair.

Alan_B

Well spring is finally here and the Bighorn is out of winter storage.

We have been prepping the unit for a big "out east" trip. I needed to install all the stuff I bought over the winter.

Here are two small modifications, a larger grab handle and RV Locks.

The grab handle installed right in place of the smaller factory stock handle. It really helps getting up and down all the time.

I bought the door and baggage lock from RVLock during the Black Friday sale last November. They both went in easily and work as advertised. I only replaced one of the baggage locks. Maybe I will buy more next Black Friday.

Attachments

• RVLock and large handle.jpg
    RVLock and large handle.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 100
  • RVLock on baggage door.jpg
    RVLock on baggage door.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 91
I too replaced the king with a queen. We wanted to upgrade the mattress and gain more room around the bed. I modified the storage under the bed also to keep the toe room along side the bed. It was a very easy mod and looks like it came from the factory this way. I also removed the television from the bed room and made a three way mirror in that location. Makes it much easier for the wife to fix her hair.

Been planning on doing the same thing with the bed for the same reason...what did you do about the wall to bed openings at the top of the bed. The change creates about a 8-10 inch gap on both sides of the bed and I want something to close that space

Alan_B

...what did you do about the wall to bed openings at the top of the bed. The change creates about a 8-10 inch gap on both sides of the bed and I want something to close that space

Getting that 8-10 inch gap was the reason for the modification. It allows more walk around space in the bedroom. We use the extra space near the head of the bed as night stand space. I’ll take pictures when I can.

Getting that 8-10 inch gap was the reason for the modification. It allows more walk around space in the bedroom. We use the extra space near the head of the bed as night stand space. I’ll take pictures when I can.

Woud love to see a pic when you get a moment. The head area being open with the subject change is the only reason that I have not already made the change to the queen bed. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get a mattress and how much?