427 Grey/Black Water Tanks

PatriciaX

After getting to know it for a few months we are still not 100% clear on the tank situation. We have 2 grey and two black tanks. We were not real happy that the tanks were not marked, but got the label maker out and marked them after we labeled the 12 different sets of lights that were also not marked.

The dealer told us that Grey 1 and black 1 are for the full bath and kitchen sink. That Grey/black 2 are for the garage sink and toilet (and potential washer). Literature says we have 80 gallons of grey and 80 gal of black water tanks. Is this divided up equally between the two tanks? Or is the grey water for the kitchen sink and bath bigger since it will be used more?

Thanks
Patricia

WyoCyclone

Interested in this too. We have a 2017 425 and I thought I had a leak until I realized I'm pulling the wrong levers. :rolleyes:

east2surf

Have the same issues on my 18 425. I still haven't figured out definitively what sink/toilet goes to what and what handle dumps what.....the front set is side by side, and the rear set is over/under. The dealer "labeled them", but they still don't quite agree. Also, the tank level indicators only show one black tank, yet there are two dump handles.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The two grey water tanks on our Landmark are the same size. Suspect yours may be the same.

LBR

Our CY 2 greys are 80 total also. I'm going to find out by filling one tank some day and see if it is close to 40.

joembx

!Re: 427 Grey/Black Water Tanks

hi everyone,
i too am still figureing this out,havent figured capacitys yet but did find that the front grey covers kit sink ,front bath sink and shower,which is alittle strange the bottom of the kit sink is about half way up from the bottom of the tub /shower,so i guess when the tank is full it should be in the tub shower first and as long as theres no leaks that high up were good

,havent filled to test but soon,just a little worried with all the post i read about tanks not being supported correctly / properly/poor
workmanship and dropping out ,,,im going to address that also, the front black covers the front water closet only,and like someone posted nothing marked ,the list of things ive repaired on this brand new rig is out of control,,,sorry for the rant,,the rear grey does cover garage sink amd washer drain,,the rear black covers the garage water closet only
one thing i would like to say is check all the electrical connections you can get to, genset worked fine on pdi when we got home no power ,traced to first junction box out of genset both netural legs came apart,checked hot legs BAD connections,had to fix ,so now im worried and want to check everything next stop transfer switch ,really all connections loose and one hot leg from shore power so loose it was black an scared ,these two could have been dangerous,,there were plenty of others also and havent checked everything yet,,,,,great now while im sitting here the exhaust fan in the kitchen with the rain sensor just closed ,not a cloud in the sky! anyway be careful with the electric ,,going to test tank capacitys shortly will post what i find
2017 427rw

deonb

That Grey/black 2 are for the garage sink and toilet (and potential washer). Literature says we have 80 gallons of grey and 80 gal of black water tanks. Is this divided up equally between the two tanks? Or is the grey water for the kitchen sink and bath bigger since it will be used more?

Thanks
Patricia

I don't think the part about Grey 2 for the garage is correct (Have a 427 myself). The Garage Sink, Toilet and Washer/Dryer outlet all drain into the Black 2 tank. This is the one with the separate indicator over the garage sink, and emptied using the right of the 2 valves at the rear.

I have yet to figure out what drains into Grey 2... something does, because stuff sometimes come out when I empty it.

I phoned Heartland and the guy I got on the phone was even more confused about it that I was... However, what he said was that Grey 2 was connected to Grey 1. Take that with a VERY large grain of salt, since he's been provably incorrect about all the other plumbing related stuff that he told me about.

Bri4Sis

I don't think the part about Grey 2 for the garage is correct (Have a 427 myself). The Garage Sink, Toilet and Washer/Dryer outlet all drain into the Black 2 tank. This is the one with the separate indicator over the garage sink, and emptied using the right of the 2 valves at the rear.

I have yet to figure out what drains into Grey 2... something does, because stuff sometimes come out when I empty it.

I phoned Heartland and the guy I got on the phone was even more confused about it that I was... However, what he said was that Grey 2 was connected to Grey 1. Take that with a VERY large grain of salt, since he's been provably incorrect about all the other plumbing related stuff that he told me about.
We have a 2017 427. And I think rear grey is only for the sink in the garage and rear black is for toilet and washer. Front grey is for kitchen and bath sinks and tub. I dontvthink they could connect the kitchen sink to the rear grey tank because of not having in enough drop

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

fastcarsspeed

We have a 2014 Cyclone and we have 3 valves up front and one in the rear. From my understanding as again mine were not labeled is Grey 1 is bathroom sink and shower, Black 1 is master bath toilet, Grey 2 is Kitchen Sink and Rear Valve controls the rear toilet and possibly the sink.

cortec

We have a 2018 427. The rear tanks have side by side valves. Facing the valves the valve on the left opens the gray water tank which is attached to the rear sink and washer. The valve on the right empties the rear black water tank. The level indicator for the rear black water tank is above the rear sink. The other indicators are located at the control panel next to the kitchen. Gary water tank one is the rear tank. Gray water tank two in the forward holding tank.

Our problem is that the valves for the front gray and black water tanks can be pulled out but the tanks do not discharge. At this pint we have the forward gray water tank full and can not longer use the shower or sinks. We are part time for the next two weeks and then will be full time and this sucks.

JMP

After getting to know it for a few months we are still not 100% clear on the tank situation. We have 2 grey and two black tanks. We were not real happy that the tanks were not marked, but got the label maker out and marked them after we labeled the 12 different sets of lights that were also not marked.

The dealer told us that Grey 1 and black 1 are for the full bath and kitchen sink. That Grey/black 2 are for the garage sink and toilet (and potential washer). Literature says we have 80 gallons of grey and 80 gal of black water tanks. Is this divided up equally between the two tanks? Or is the grey water for the kitchen sink and bath bigger since it will be used more?

Thanks
Patricia

We full time in our RW427. Our tank layout beginning with the front valve (Black), the second valve is (grey), which supports front bathroom sink and shower and kitchen sink. The third valve in rear is for the rear garage sink, and the fourth valve (black) supports both the washing machine and commode.

Hope this helps.

Oregon_Camper

Here is what you do...

1 - Get yourself a nice 6 pack of beer.
2 - Open beer #1
3 - Get one of these water meters from Amazon
4 - Empty all tanks
5 - Open beer #2
6 - Attach newly purchased water meter to hose (Whoa...slow down there...don't jump to beer #3 just yet)
7 - Fill one tank at a time. (now you see why you have 6 beers)
8 - Record water level to full for each tank.
9 - Share info with everyone here. :cool:

61yytKuk8AL._SL1500_.jpg

212Pilot

The Tank labeling and drainage was very confusing for us when we got out 2017 Cyclone 3800. I finally figured it out when I had the coraplast down to insulate and heat tape the water lines to the rear sink. Grey 1 is forward and drains the Master Bath (Sink and Shower) and the Washer since ours is in the bedroom. Black 1 is for MB Toilet and monitor is in control panel (never works alway shows full) we can easily go two weeks before dump and flush. The valve handles for Grey 1 and Black 1 are in the froward small access hatch and Grey is on left Black is on right as you look at it. These tanks discharge out the Main/Front Discharge tube. Grey 2 is for our kitchen sink only. The discharge handle is in the rear small hatch and the handle is the Top handle ( yes they are installed vertically and Yes I have filled the rear discharge with black water because I pulled the wrong handle). The Grey 2 tank discharges out the forward discharge tube. Black 2 is for rear bathroom sink and toilet, the monitor is on the wall by the rear bath sink. The discharge handle is the lower handle in the rear access door and this tank discharges out of the rear discharge tube. Also each tank drains out the front or side of the tank and the tanks sag in the middle so to get the most fluid out of each tank I tilt my trailer based on which tank I am draining. Grey 1 and Black 1 drain Aft Right so I lift the front and tilt it to the Right/entrance side. Grey 2 drains Forward Left so I lower front and tilt Left. Black 2 drains Aft Left and get front lifted and tilted left.

SteamboatSailor

We have a 2018 427. The rear tanks have side by side valves. Facing the valves the valve on the left opens the gray water tank which is attached to the rear sink and washer. The valve on the right empties the rear black water tank. The level indicator for the rear black water tank is above the rear sink. The other indicators are located at the control panel next to the kitchen. Gary water tank one is the rear tank. Gray water tank two in the forward holding tank.

Our problem is that the valves for the front gray and black water tanks can be pulled out but the tanks do not discharge. At this pint we have the forward gray water tank full and can not longer use the shower or sinks. We are part time for the next two weeks and then will be full time and this sucks.

We also have a '18 427. I had the same problem with tanks not draining. Turned out to be "something" out of the black tank hung up far enough down the line towards the outlet that it wouldn't let the gray tank drain either. Your problem may be the same. Make sure it's not as simple as something stuck in the flex sewer line itself; if not, the Valterra F02-4350 Reverse RV Flush Valve may do the trick for you

StressedOG

We recently purchased a RW 427 and the tank situation perplexed me as gray 2 never has shown to take on any water. Our rear sink is not tied to gray 2. I ran the sink constant while monitoring status panel and it turns out the sink is dumping into the black water tank in the rear along with the rear toilet. I can only assume, at this point, that the gray 2 tank fills from the washer / dryer. We have not yet purchased our washer and dryer so I will verify once installed.