ATF: North Trail - water pump runs constantly

Our 28BRS water pump is running without stopping. We drained all the water from the system last fall, we thought, but probably have a leak somewhere. How do we troubleshoot this problem? Is there a schematic available for us to know where to check?
We are leaving Sunday for a two week camping trip. Is it OK to use the city water connection instead of the pump?
I did notice that the toilet is running after releasing the foot pedal. Could that be the problem?

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
If you have an on-demand water pump, then yes, a leaking toilet will keep the pressure drop that is seen by the pump as a demand for water pressure.

jimtoo

If your toilet is continuing to run after flushing you need to fix it. It will fill or over fill your black tank and then you will have a real mess.

LBR

Our 28BRS water pump is running without stopping. We drained all the water from the system last fall, we thought, but probably have a leak somewhere. How do we troubleshoot this problem? Is there a schematic available for us to know where to check?
We are leaving Sunday for a two week camping trip. Is it OK to use the city water connection instead of the pump?
I did notice that the toilet is running after releasing the foot pedal. Could that be the problem?

From what you posted, you drained all water but never did say you put water back into the fresh tank....that is why the pump is running all the time.

I did indeed fill the fresh water tank before I tried the pump. I also double checked the positions of all the valves for the pump and the water heater.

danemayer

You might find some help in our owner-written Water Systems Guide. It's not specific to your model, but the water system is similar on most trailers. The drawing on page 6 may clear things up for you.

To review your situation:
  • Fresh tank is full
  • Pump makes noise indicating it's running and keeps going as long as the pump switch is ON.
  • Toilet runs after releasing the foot pedal.
  • Valve for antifreeze suction line is closed
  • Water heater is not bypassed

Adding some assumptions:
  • Faucets are all closed
  • You don't have water pouring out from the underbelly
  • The toilet runs for only a few seconds after releasing the pedal.

If you mean it never stops running, then either the bowl overflows onto the floor, or the blade/ball in the toilet bowl is staying open. Since you didn't mention an overflowing toilet, I'm guessing that's not it. But as someone else said, if water is running through an open blade/ball in the toilet bowl, it's filling the black tank and you'll have a mess pretty quickly.

So I'm assuming you don't mean it just runs forever.

My guess is that the pump is sucking air and you probably don't have a water leak.

I suggest you locate the water pump and examine the clear filter bowl for cracks, and check that the clear bowl and other connections are finger tight.

Also re-check the antifreeze suction line valve to ensure it's closed.

Turning the pump OFF and using city water may not be a good idea. City water and pump output are teed together. If you have either a water or air leak, city water could leak all over the inside of the camper by way of the tee.

after taking your excellent advice, I have cleaned the clear trap of the pump and determined there are no leaks there. I have narrowed it down to the toilet. As long as the pump is not on, it does not run. I am looking for parts to repair it.
Thank you, thank you. The forum has saved me from disaster yet again. Will let you know how it goes.
Sara

danemayer

2 more things.

If you have a Dometic 310 toilet, the pedal valve assembly can usually be replaced fairly easily for about $30. On a Thetford, you may find it needs a lower half of the toilet, which can be pricey. If so, you may find it more reasonable to install a new Dometic 310 from Amazon for $130. Installing a toilet is usually pretty easy. If you change from Thetford to Dometic, you'll have to look at the plumbing connections and might have to extend the water feed line to reach the other side at the back of the toilet.

Also, whatever you end up doing, if you have the toilet lifted off the floor, I'd suggest installing a Sharkbite 1/2" press-on ball valve or equivalent. You can get them at many big box hardware stores and plumbing supply stores for about $15. If in the future you ever have a toilet problem, the ball valve will let you cut off water to the toilet and leave everything else running. If installing the valve, be careful not to drop the pex line after cutting it to install the valve.