pjones1969 Cyclone 3800

CarterKraft

Great job on the under body storage rack.

Here is a link for other home gamers to find similar type boxes.

I have been brain storming building something similar and was going to fab boxes but this might be allot easier.

pjones1969

Attachments

• 224D740B-FA6E-4FB3-AABC-AD99355EBD1B.jpg
    224D740B-FA6E-4FB3-AABC-AD99355EBD1B.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 967AC474-688A-4F29-A42C-84697A17EC2F.jpg
    967AC474-688A-4F29-A42C-84697A17EC2F.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 87
  • B635B609-1324-4C39-AA6D-181904EB3D70.jpg
    B635B609-1324-4C39-AA6D-181904EB3D70.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 82
  • FAB0B073-D835-49BD-BAD4-4D9B209909AA.jpg
    FAB0B073-D835-49BD-BAD4-4D9B209909AA.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 86
  • AB2F3862-F5DC-4036-9B06-6CA0E6064FB1.jpg
    AB2F3862-F5DC-4036-9B06-6CA0E6064FB1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 82

Bones

Looks great. How would you compare the cost for this compared to buying the kit already done?

pjones1969

Looks great. How would you compare the cost for this compared to buying the kit already done?

Lippert quoted me somewhere around $480 for the single sided bin w/o the frame, I emailed several places about pricing and availability of the Lippert #194103, single side with frame and got zero responses. I could have bought a double sided bin, Lippert #236558 with frame from CARiD for $427 plus shipping so I’ll call that $500

I bought the bin from Global Industrial for $140 shipped, I have around $60 in hardware, hinges, spring latch and paint and I got the steel for Free, so I have $200 in this.

If you had to buy the steel let’s call it $2/ft and you probably have to buy 10 or 20 footers so an additional $80 - $100

Satisfaction of building something that fits without modifications - PRICELESS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Lippert quoted me somewhere around $480 for the single sided bin w/o the frame, I emailed several places about pricing and availability of the Lippert #194103, single side with frame and got zero responses. I could have bought a double sided bin, Lippert #236558 with frame from CARiD for $427 plus shipping so I’ll call that $500

I bought the bin from Global Industrial for $140 shipped, I have around $60 in hardware, hinges, spring latch and paint and I got the steel for Free, so I have $200 in this.

If you had to buy the steel let’s call it $2/ft and you probably have to buy 10 or 20 footers so an additional $80 - $100

Satisfaction of building something that fits without modifications - PRICELESS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

pjones1969

Its been a while, I need to be better about documenting

Jan. 2020 - Discovered a sidewall crack above ODS main slide, contacted Heartland and provided pictures that they requested. Heartland agreed to do a good faith repair and we were responsible for transportation both ways. We scheduled for Apr. 2020. Mar. 2020 - Heartland called to discuss options due to COVID, 1. deliver trailer, it would be quarantined and not touched for 2 weeks, cannot stay onsite or enter service center. 2. re-schedule. We kept in touch and finally scheduled for Oct. 5th, still not allowed to stay onsite or go inside and they are disinfecting them in lieu of quarantining them for 2 weeks prior to beginning work. We booked a hotel in hopes that we could get the repairs completed in a week and return home with our trailer.

Oct. 4, 2020 - Arrived at the Heartland factory Service Center in Elkhart, Indiana - 2 rear spring hangers had broken and axle shifted DS about 4 inches, cracked fender skirting, left note on front cap and went to hotel

Oct. 5, 2020 - Spoke with Heartland, Lippert scheduled to do repairs on Oct. 15th. We return to Texas without trailer :(

Oct. 13, 2020 - Lippert inspects and discovers 2 broken crossmembers (these are the joists between the i-beam runners), they replaced rear spring hangers and perform what they call an "axle retro" which adds supplemental steel crossmembers in axle area and added gussets to every spring hanger. Heartland begins sidewall repair afterwards.

I had asked the service advisor if she could look at our ramp door, the waterproofing stuff in the led light strip in the awning above had melted and dripped all over the ramp door, she contacted CareFree and they agreed to replace the light and worked out a deal with Heartland to remove the sticky stuff.

Oct. 30, 2020 - We return to Elkhart to retrieve our trailer, ordered tires online from simpletire and brought them with us (hard to find in stock) have appt. at Monteith's Tire to have tires replaced on Oct. 31.

Oct. 31, 2020 - replace all 6 tires with Sailun G637 235-85R/16

That covers the repair timeframe, Heartland did a great job.

Additional modifications / repairs to date:
July 2020
Replaced wire flex guard under DS main slide

Oct. 2020
Replaced original Furrion Camera system with Furrion Vision S7 with side marker cameras (before trip to factory), have not mounted door camera, thinking about using it for inside the garage area

Nov. 2020
Fishing pole holders in garage between 4 season door frame and happi-jac bunk rail - had these for a while and never installed
Added a strap to the loft stairs, they always come out of being stowed while traveling
Installed another stretch cargo net on the shelves we built in the kitchen slide (post 24)
Tinted windows - DigiTint NANO Black 20% - bedroom June 2020, living area Nov. 2020, garage area Dec. 2020
Lippert Solid Step with handrail for forward door, I went with this one over the Morryde model due to the larger top step and protective top kickplate

Last edited:

pjones1969

This actually started in October of 2021, see post #49 for some of the back story

October 2021, was camping at Potters Creek in Canyon lake Texas and noticed a crack in the lower right hand corner of the bedroom slide, I took some pictures and contacted Heartland when we arrived back home.. We go back and forth and Heartland asks me to take it back to our selling dealership for a frame inspection.

I contact the selling dealership about this frame inspection, they don't know what that consists of, so I get back with Heartland and we decide that I can take it to another shop that had done some previous warranty work, I contacted the other shop, talk through it with them, they admitted that they really don't know what Heartland is wanting here so I tell them I'll do some checking and get back with them.

I contacted Lippert, happened to get an ex-field tech on the phone and he said they really don't have a Full Frame Inspection Procedure and based on what I had told him he pointed me towards the Upper Deck Flex Worksheet, and said I could do this myself.

it is pretty much impossible to get these measurements while your trailer is hooked up so I build a jig to support the pin box so I could raise the front jacks off of the ground and perform the Upper Deck Flex Measurements and find that we are within tolerance (1/4" on door side and 3/16" on off door side) so back to Heartland with my findings. Heartland says they need me to take it to the dealership and have them perform the test and that they would pay for it, ok, I get an estimate for $954, get that approved and drop the trailer off and wait.

The tech goes out to do the inspection and calls me and tells me that the area where the crack is in the corner of the bedroom slide has been repaired before, he showed me in a photo where you could see the differences in the paint texture. I ask him to look above the main slide and see if there is any cracking up there, he calls back and confirms that the area that was previously repaired above the main slide was starting to show some spider cracking, not the initial crack repair itself but all around where they had patched it, so he send me some pictures. I asked him to not perform the Upper Deck Flex Inspection until I spoke with Heartland and called him back.

So, light bulb moment, when I got the completed repair list from our last adventure they had written in that they had repaired a crack in the bedroom slide, at the time I thought oh that's nice that they saw that and fixed it but I never even knew it was there.

I contact Heartland and bring them up to speed, they agree that the Upper Deck Flex exercise would just be a waste of money and he said he would get back to me with a resolution. A few days later Heartland says that they have had a high level meeting about our issues and they will fix them but I have to bring it back to Elkhart, they want me to block out 2 weeks so they have plenty of time to look over everything and Lippert will be scheduled to be there when I arrive to go over the entire frame prior to them starting on the crack repairs to see if there are any underlying issues.

Talk it over with my wife and we concoct a plan, she was going to be in Iowa for a wedding on the 15th so I would make it around that time where I could just swing by and pick her up on the way home, lol......... so, I make arrangements to have it in Elkhart on October 3rd, 2022

I leave Texas at 3:15am on October the 1st and arrive in Elkhart at 12 midnight (11pm Texas time) on October the 1st, back into the site and go to bed, I hang around the Service Center on Sunday, winterizing, cleaning, etc. and talking with another owner there until I can check into my hotel.

Sunday Oct. 2nd, check into hotel, get all setup on WiFi and test everything to make sure I'm good to go for work on Monday morning, all is well.

Monday October 3rd, WiFi at hotel is lagging bad, ask front desk if they are having any issues and they said no, so I grab my stuff and head over to the Heartland Customer Lounge, WiFi is strong and I go about my day, checking on our rig outside to see if there is any action. See a tech rolling all around under our trailer, setting up string lines, taking frame measurements and then they haul it into a service bay.

About a month before our trip I found some paint peeling at our auxiliary gas tank filler so I had reached out to Heartland and see if they would fix it while we were there, Heartland denied to fix it under warranty so I asked them for an estimate, (this also happened right after we took delivery and they covered it, that repair was $1200)

I get an email with the estimate for the paint repair ($521.50) and let them know I was actually in their lounge, The service writer comes back and we go back our trailer to discuss what they have found so far. She said no frame issues were discovered.

They had both areas cut out and determined that we needed extra gussets welded in the bedroom slide area frame structure and they were also going to add more to the main slide area where the previous repair was made, I ask why that area above had started cracking and the body guy tells me that they have had some issues with previous repairs being fiber glassed back way too thin and a primer they had been using a couple years ago (hmm 2020 you say?) was shrinking and causes cracks in the repaired areas and that they have had some call backs but assured me they have figured out what was causing those issues and we wouldn't have that problem again.

I gave the service writer $100 and asked her to buy the guys lunch one day.

Wife ended up not going to Iowa due to some other circumstances so I bought her a plane ticket into South Bend on Saturday October 8th, go out to g pick her up and the truck won't start, ughhhhh, finally got a jump, and at the same time a text saying she landed (30 minutes early) ...... made it to the airport and on to Autozone for 2 new batteries (both still under warranty so $277 instead of $408)

The repairs commence, I had them fix the paint at the gas tank, painter laid out 2 days so we were delayed a little but everything was completed and buttoned up on Wednesday October 12th. Went to pay for the paint repair and they gave me a 33% discount so costs us right at $350.

We left Elkhart on the 13th, spent 2 nights in Springfield Missouri at the KOA, visited Branson on the 14th and rolled back into Texas on the 15th.

It was actually a very good trip and I'm glad I made it to know what I know now about everything. Yes, its sucks to have to drive 1000 miles each way and foot the bill for fuel and hotel while you are there but for comparison I did get an estimate to have this repaired locally and it was $13,810 😬

On to the next adventure!

pjones1969

Month of May 2023 - Remodel Time!

Removed 3 season doors, never used them and just another thing in the way when loading our RZR
Removed wheel chocks and added D-rings in garage
Replaced 5 seat couch with 3 seat couch and end tables with lamps
Removed loveseat and built a cabinet / coffee bar with pop up power outlet
Bought a remnant of Hi-Macs solid surface and had it fabricated for countertop of coffee bar
Curtains in living room, bedroom and a slider on the living room side of the garage door
New rugs and bedding
New outdoor speakers, went with the same brand / model
Wallpaper on kitchen slide wall
Peel and stick tile in bathroom sink area and added a towel rack above the toilet

Don’t have pictures of everything ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    985.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4786.jpeg
    IMG_4786.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4783.jpeg
    IMG_4783.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

pjones1969

Welp……. Coming home from Hot Springs Arkansas I got the call from a buddy we were following……. “Pull up beside me, I think your roof is messed up”

Sure enough, roof was ballooning, entire front section was separated from the decking but had not torn yet, we already planned to stay in Texarkana Arkansas for the night, we were about 10 miles out, so we pulled in, taped it down and brought her on home the next day, had to stop in Greenville Texas to add some more tape

its now at DFW RV Roof getting a Flex Armor roof applied :cool:

We are having all of the original membrane removed, getting all of the fans replaced, spraying over the skylight, having the sides painted black and 3/8” stainless studs for an aluminum plate I designed for our King roof mounted portable satellite
IMG_0149.jpeg
IMG_0137.png

Last edited: