Leaking black water valve

WyoCyclone

We have a 2017 Road Warrior 425 and I suspect we have a leaking valve on both dump locations. Every time I pull the cap off, I have about a half gallon of water built up against the cap (which sucks when dumping I might add). Lately I opened and closed the valves several times to see if that would work, but I'm not sure. Anybody have any ideas about checking this without pulling everything apart first?? I obviously have warranty but prefer to handle it myself as the dealer is several hours away.

Thanks.

danemayer

If you're adding more than 1/2 gallon to the black tank after dumping the tank, and only get 1/2 gallon when uncapping, it may not be a leak. Water can be at rest in the near horizontal pipe runs and move around during travel.

Get yourself a twist-on gate valve. When you set up, attach the sewer hose before opening the valve.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ditto what Dan said about the twist on external valve. We've been using one for several years and it's a lifesaver.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

As Dan has said. I believe the water is sitting in the lines then when you travel it gets pushed out to the lowest point, behind the cap. I chose to install a permanent valve in the line right before my cap. That way it's not going to fall off, or get stolen.
This solved my problem and works great.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WyoCyclone

Thanks for the replies fellas, sure do appreciate it. I'm thinking about the other gate and just putting a bead of silicone around it and calling it good. That way I don't have all the mess. I keep thinking I have issues with this trailer but one by one things are working them selves out. Thanks again.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm thinking about the other gate and just putting a bead of silicone around it and calling it good.

I'm curious of what you mean by putting a bead of silicone around what ???

WyoCyclone

I'm thinking about the other gate and just putting a bead of silicone around it and calling it good.

I was was thinking about putting the silicone around the twist on gate so it doesn't leak. Maybe it's not needed? Not sure?

danemayer

I was was thinking about putting the silicone around the twist on gate so it doesn't leak. Maybe it's not needed? Not sure?

You don't need silicone to keep it from leaking. But after a few years you may need to replace the o-ring as they do get compressed over time and you can get a few drops leaking when you dump the tanks.

Many of us orient the twist-on gate valve so the handle is in the 1 or 2 o'clock position. Gravity will then help keep it in place as you travel. If it's in the 10 or 11 o'clock position, gravity will help it work loose.

NYSUPstater

Another believer in the adding of the twist-on valve. Old coach did the same thing. Added the twist on.....no more surprises when removing the cap. Have ours in the 9 or 10 o'clock position, no problem.

LBR

Another believer in the adding of the twist-on valve. Old coach did the same thing. Added the twist on.....no more surprises when removing the cap. Have ours in the 9 or 10 o'clock position, no problem.

There's always that little surprise when the cap is pulled...I have always made sure mine is as clean of water as possible.

In all honesty, I haven't read where anyone travelled with their extra valve left on, so I'm going to put mine on and LEAVE it on just like my mentors suggest...lol

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

With my valve on the end right before the cap, when I pull the cap off it's dry as a bone !!! Not a drop. Before I installed the cap I'd get a big surprise. About 1/4 to 1/2 gallon.

Mburtsvt

So… in order to correct a bad engineering problem with the dump valves being too far up stream from the outlet pipe, (cable dump valves have their own problems), the solution is to spend more money and add an “end of discharge pipe” gate valve. BRILLIANT!

So really - no issue with this since the end user will solve it? Again BRILLIANT!

Gaffer

You don't need silicone to keep it from leaking. But after a few years you may need to replace the o-ring as they do get compressed over time and you can get a few drops leaking when you dump the tanks.

Many of us orient the twist-on gate valve so the handle is in the 1 or 2 o'clock position. Gravity will then help keep it in place as you travel. If it's in the 10 or 11 o'clock position, gravity will help it work loose.

A #8 self drilling (Tek ) screw will solve the keeping it in place worry.

ATM

The extra valve is cheap insurance, beats cleaning the mess up if you dump when pulling the cap off. Not that many people bother with cleaning up after themselves.

danemayer

So… in order to correct a bad engineering problem with the dump valves being too far up stream from the outlet pipe, (cable dump valves have their own problems), the solution is to spend more money and add an “end of discharge pipe” gate valve. BRILLIANT!

So really - no issue with this since the end user will solve it? Again BRILLIANT!

PVC plumbing runs need a minimum of 1/4" of vertical drop for each foot of horizontal run to ensure good drainage and avoid standing water in the horizontal run. Our trailers are probably right at the minimum in order to maximize tank size and keep the sewer outlet as far away from the ground as possible.

But if you set up and are even slightly nose-low, you reduce the vertical drop and can easily collect standing water.

BobTheBuilder

For smooth (not your sewer connector hose) PVC drain lines, the proper slope is a MAXIMUM of 1/4"/foot and a minimum of 1/8"/foot or 2% down to as little as 1%. This is the correct slopes so that the water will take away the solid waste with a normal amount of water in a toilet flush. Less than 1%--no flow. More than 2%--the solids may not float out with the flowing water as the water flows too fast to carry them. Because our holding tanks dump so much water all at once, staying in that range is not critical and you can easily have way more than 1/4"/foot.