Rear Reciever Hitch

kodiak

Has Anyone Put A Reciever Hitch On A 3055 2008 Bighorn? We Have Owned Our Bighorn For Over A Year And Just Love It But Would Like To Pull A Small Boat Or Trailer.

ChopperBill

Got one on my "06" 3055. Had a welding shop that deals in RV hitches install it. Signed a waver I would not pull over 3500 lbs. No problem, I never pull more than 2000 lbs. Not sure what the tongue weight is but I can pick it up if needed. Pulled double as far as a 2000 mile round trip.

sharmulst

We had a receiver hitch installed on our BH3500RL by a firm in Derby, KS. They did a great job and we pull a single rail motorcycle trailer for our HD 2003 Sportster. Monitor the trailer with a camera and that works very well. The trailer with HD (weighs about 780#) can be moved by DH. Tongue weight is about 80#.

How about 3600RE

We've been searching for info on the 3600RENone. I want to carry a 350lb Honda Helix 250 for transportation when we set up. The rear jacks appear to be located pretty far back on the frame :(. The Big Horn 3500RL has those jacks farther toward the front of the coach leaving more frame exposed. I'm concerned that there would not be room (without radical work) to make room on the BH 3600RE for a carrier receiver. Any experince or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Delaine and Lindy

I believe if you want to spend the $$$ you can get a hitch. I seen a KZ that had a swivel trailer with a large Harley. Was very professional, it was build very strong. If I had know we had the option to have a factory rear hitch I would have gotten one on our MS :(. GBY....

Paul & Nan

Our dealer, Rvs for Less, had a hitch put on for us by a welding shop near them. It was somewhere between $400 and $500 dollars. We wanted to mount our bike rack, which works well, so far. Only had the rig for 6 weeks.

Paul and Nan and Casey too(11YO rescue mutt)
03 2500HD Duramax
09 3670 RL BigHorn

sharmulst

Found out the hard way

Well we found out that they will stop you in Oregon for pulling a trailer behind your 5er. As we were leaving Coos Bay, OR this morning a trooper pulled us over and asked if we were aware you can only pull one vehicle behind a pickup. He let us off with a warning this time and let us continue to the Calif. border. Apparently Wash. and Oregon are the only states west of the Appalachians that have a problem with it. Guess we won't be coming back to these states anytime soon.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I believe if you want to spend the $$$ you can get a hitch. I seen a KZ that had a swivel trailer with a large Harley. Was very professional, it was build very strong. If I had know we had the option to have a factory rear hitch I would have gotten one on our MS :(. GBY....

I believe Blue Ox makes the carriers with the swivel wheels under it. I didn't see it on their site but did see literature on it at Dan's Hitch in Elkhart last week. I know they can get and install hitches for most trailers. Good folks there, worth a call.

ChopperBill

Well we found out that they will stop you in Oregon for pulling a trailer behind your 5er. As we were leaving Coos Bay, OR this morning a trooper pulled us over and asked if we were aware you can only pull one vehicle behind a pickup. He let us off with a warning this time and let us continue to the Calif. border. Apparently Wash. and Oregon are the only states west of the Appalachians that have a problem with it. Guess we won't be coming back to these states anytime soon.
Here is a list of states you can double tow (they call it triple). If I am not mistaken you also have to have a class A license in California.

DennisZ

sharmulst

Bill is correct, you will need a Class A CDL in California along with a Doubles Endorsement. Without one, the CHP may not be as nice as they were in Oregon.

Dennis

seabee

Try this site it will give you some help. http://www.towingworld.com

Last edited by a moderator: