Re-cover and replace window coverings

I live in my Bighorn full time and I am sick of the "everything brown" interior. I want to recover the valances and replace or just remove the side curtains. We have Roller shades. Anyone removed the valances and recovered them? It looks complicated to remove them.

Also want to paint the island cabinets to start and see how it goes.

jbeletti

Many have gone before you with great success. Go for it! In terms of the valances, remove your shade first, then look for a screw in the corner of the fabric on each end of the valance. Remove those, then look for any brackets. Remove those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

I removed mine. There are screws​ up inside on each corner ,they go through the fabric. Once removed I separated the top layer of the balance. They were Stapled through the back of the main assembly. I used the same fabric from my dinning chairs which were reupholstered. I'll try to find a photo. It was not a difficult project. I stapled them back on with short staples to avoid popping thru the new fabric

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

VKTalley

I live in my Bighorn full time and I am sick of the "everything brown" interior. I want to recover the valances and replace or just remove the side curtains. We have Roller shades. Anyone removed the valances and recovered them? It looks complicated to remove them.

Also want to paint the island cabinets to start and see how it goes.

I removed the side curtains on my valances and recovered the ones on our bedroom. I just stapled the new fabric over the original fabric. Not a problem at all, other than getting my mitered corners correct as I used a pinstriped upholstery fabric. I'll see if I have pictures of them on our blog.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I replaced the Day/Night shades with Levelor verticals, I removed all of the valance fabric and used it to cover the plywood valances I made. Kept the original top valance design, just had to make them deeper to accommodate the rotation of the vanes. Eliminated the side valances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Figured out how to get photos.lol
0b77c427b47d49cbe482fd551a7cd347.jpg
7cb822a9d094e659ada6620008b0852e.jpg
ead98f5a12db19658a3d209dc4f80284.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk