winter CAMPING?

My family and i are considering purchasing a 2011 33QB and we live in colorado. we would like to take our new camper out this coming winter. how well insulated are they? is it going to keep us warm when its below 0?

Thanks for your help

Bill

Lynn1130

The short answer to this is probably not if you are dry camping. There are a number of threads on here with information on what to do if you are going to camp in weather below freezing. As a general rule with some precautions protecting low point drains, and the UDC area with insulation and keeping the heater going to feed heat into the belly we have elk hunted down to 10 above. It was down to 16 above this May while turkey hunting. It takes a fair amount of propane to keep things from freezing up and without a steady supply of propane you will not keep the inside above around 60 without making numerous trips to fill tanks.

If you are camping in a campground where you have shore power it becomes a little easier but still means insulating some things to keep water flowing and lines from bursting.

Look at the bottom of this page for similar threads with info that will help.

danemayer

My family and i are considering purchasing a 2011 33QB and we live in colorado. we would like to take our new camper out this coming winter. how well insulated are they? is it going to keep us warm when its below 0?

Thanks for your help

Bill
Hi Bill,

In Colorado, there's winter camping and there's WINTER camping. We've done 6 extended ski trips to Breckenridge in our 2011 Landmark. But the insulation is much better, we have dual pane windows, and we've added extra insulation, heat tape on all the water lines, a mini-skirt with heater under the trailer, and more. Temps in Breck can get down to -30 (F). And you'll use a lot of propane.

Staying warm inside is the easy part. Keeping the water running is much harder. My understanding is that the 2011 Greystone is a Mid-Profile RV with much lower insulation values than a Landmark or Bighorn.

That's all not to say you can't take the rig out in the winter, but you may have some work to do.

Take a look at our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more details.