2012 Landmark vs 2017

tophog

Wife and I are relatively young full-timers (52ish) and recently sold a 2007 Monaco Dynasty 40' coach to try the 5th wheel side of things for awhile as we think a 5th wheel will suite our current lifestyle better (we only travel mostly between OR/AZ for the seasons).

Have researched higher end 5th wheels for a few months now. Want a 2013-15 DRV but haven't had much luck finding one here in the NW this summer.

We have viewed newer BigHorns/Big Country's, a few Redwoods and a couple LandMarks.

We like the LandMarks knowing they aren't a DRV and we are ok with that.

We can buy a 2-month used 2017 LandMark Orlando for $74Kish that is basically like new. We found a like new 2012 LandMark San Antonio loaded with every factory option that can be had for $43K. The 2012 includes Yeti pkg, Onan 5.5kw generator, satellite, etc.

In my limited reading on older Landmarks and newer ones it became apparent the newer ones like the 365's are supposed to be a lot better than the "older units" (not knowing exactly if a 2012 falls into this area) ... and if there are any well-known issues with the 2012 era LandMarks that would persuade someone to skip, or perhaps run-away.

We really like the 2012 San Antonio and obviously it's a lot less money, coupled with the fact any issues have likely been resolved compared to buying a new one ... I've always loved the new smell but when it comes to RV's I don't think that new smell is warranted in a lot of areas ...

Is it possible to determine which one is the better choice? If money was not a factor I'm guessing most would buy the 2017, or not? I guess I'm trying to justify the 2012 taking into account it's track record/condition vs the price difference and also coach differences between the two.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

jbeletti

Welcome to the forum tophog!

You've asked some great questions. I think perhaps the best way to choose is to think VERY carefully about the floor plan of each. Floor plan is such an important factor to livability. As we all have different needs, what works better for me is likely to be different for you.

I've had the San Antonio and we did like it. The con for me was the kitchen size. If you prefer to prepare most of your meals indoors, you may find the food prep and kitchen storage space to be a bit lacking. If cooking indoors is not your thing, you may LOVE the rest of the coach - as we did.

I've not had the Orlando, so I can't speak from personal experience there.

Buying a 6 year old RV vs a 1 year old RV is another question altogether. Either decision can be a good one - just depends on the condition of each. As far as build quality, I'd say they will both be similar in this regard. Sure, there are cosmetic and feature changes in LM365, but the build/construction will be similar to the 2012 unit.

Wishing you all the best in your decision and hope to see you at a Heartland Owners Club rally in a Landmark later this year!

tophog

Thank you for the information. We do cook a lot indoors but equally as much outdoors when in AZ. I'll ask the wife to investigate this area more on the 2012 to see if it may be an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

The $30 thousand dollar question.. I own since new a 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel. As with any​ Rv there are issues. IF you know what to look for ( problems​) inspect the 2012 with a close eye. Make sure you run all the appliances. Pressurize it with​ city water look for leaks. My self, I think you will have a better experience with the 2012 because at this time the bugs should be worked out. As for the 2017 traded back in so soon is to me a Red flag. Pocket the 30 k

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

tophog

You raise some great points and we seem to have the same thinking ... We've had new RV's in the past but was years ago and swore I would never buy another new one due to all the issues we had. Then again back then it was Forest River and I have no direct experience with Heartland products.

I'm also skeptical on why the 2017 was only owned 2 months. Dealer says the couple decided a diesel pusher was a better choice for them. Yeah, perhaps after non-stop problems ... ironically we are coming from a like-new 2007 Monaco Dynasty 40' diesel coach so perhaps we are cursed there as well thinking a 5th wheel will make us happier. We are going to find out lol http://wingingitfulltime.com

The $30 thousand dollar question.. I own since new a 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel. As with any​ Rv there are issues. IF you know what to look for ( problems​) inspect the 2012 with a close eye. Make sure you run all the appliances. Pressurize it with​ city water look for leaks. My self, I think you will have a better experience with the 2012 because at this time the bugs should be worked out. As for the 2017 traded back in so soon is to me a Red flag. Pocket the 30 k

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Razorback

As owners of a 2012 San Antonio that we bought used in 7/14 is that it's the best we've owned in 20+ years of rv-ing. That includes 2 new 5th wheels prior to the Landmark. The only suggestion I'd make is to negotiate on the price if interested, because we gave considerably less than the price you've mentioned. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tophog

Thanks. Yeah I think he is a tad high. Nada shows it at around $42 w/out specifying any extra options. It has slide-toppers, Onan 5.5kw genset, washer/dryer, YETI pkg, satellite dish, 4-door fridge with icemaker/water, unit surge protector, sleep number king bed, vacuum, rear camera system w/monitor and trailer TPMS setup ...not sure if some/all of these are additional options or how much it would increase retail value. Of course I don't want to pay anymore for it than I should ... I would be happy paying retail if it's in fact like new with no issues. Garaged all of it's life in a shop when not used.

As owners of a 2012 San Antonio that we bought used in 7/14 is that it's the best we've owned in 20+ years of rv-ing. That includes 2 new 5th wheels prior to the Landmark. The only suggestion I'd make is to negotiate on the price if interested, because we gave considerably less than the price you've mentioned. Good luck.

Razorback

Ours didn't have w/d,generator or sleep # bed, but rest is spot on.