ATF: Cyclone - Undercarriage Leakage

Harrisiv

I have a 2016 Cyclone 4113 with dual bathrooms. Last Sunday we hooked up to city water at RV park (installed pressure regulator). The gray tanks were both opened and drained clear water (black tanks were emptied a few weeks ago with no use afterwards). We woke up the following morning to find a huge droop in the undercarriage.

I looked at the exposed end where the plastic has pulled away from the frame and screws and saw clear water inside. Also seen was a black colored tank that appears to have partially fallen. Called a local RV repairman who said I might should jack up the bottom to support the tank and Jacked up center of "mass" and several gallons of clear water rushed out front of underbelly cover (water did not smell).

Only known potential contributors was a stopped up master bathroom sink (removed ptrap and seemed to clear issue but nothing found in trap) and a very slow master show drain. Both symptoms went away with disassembly and reassembly of sink ptrap.

I need some advice because I am scared to remove the jack and move the unit for fear that the tanks could fall in transport.

**I have a few photos but apparently do not have permission to post them yet.

Thank you in advance!

Lynn1130

I doubt that the tank will fall out as they are secured with straps.

Generally this problem has been caused by the Anderson valve leaking city water into the freshwater tank to the point that it overflows. I don't know if this is your issue but you might take a look at the gauge on the fresh water tank to see where you stand. If it is full turn off the city water and turn on the pump and begin using the fresh water tank supply. There are a number of recent threads about this issue and a search of Anderson valve will turn up some help. If this is the problem the valve is not difficult to fix. If your gray tanks were empty and your black tanks were empty it really points to the fresh water overflows. Since you are on city water there should be no reason for the fresh water tank to be leaking unless it filled from a faulty Anderson valve.

The other, and not as likely is a leaking water line but I would start with checking the fresh tank before beginning to tear down to check lines. Also, if you are hooked to a dump, open the grey tanks to double check they are still empty.

Here is a synopsis from the "tools" section above:
https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/Fresh Tank Fills by Itself.pdf

Post # 4 of this one has a photo of the valve.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/66418-I-have-a-water-leak-and-don-t-know-what-it-is?highlight=andersen+valve

porthole

Retired
Only known potential contributors was a stopped up master bathroom sink (removed ptrap and seemed to clear issue but nothing found in trap) and a very slow master show drain. Both symptoms went away with disassembly and reassembly of sink ptrap.

What appears to be stopped up bathroom sink and slow shower drain is usually an indication that bathroom gray tank is full.
When our gray is getting full, the sink is the first to start showing signs of slow draining. Next is the shower the drains very slow.

danemayer

Reviewing: the water in the underbelly was clear and didn't smell. The problem with the bathroom drains does suggest it could be a full gray tank, but unless your rig is brand new, gray water usually smells bad. That makes it somewhat likely to be from the fresh tank.

Your Cyclone should have fresh tank overflow fittings outside the frame on both sides. It's usually PEX terminated with a 90 degree fitting. If the fresh tank(s) are overfilled, water will run out these fittings.

If you don't see these fittings, it's possible the fitting never got hooked up to the tank, or are tucked inside the underbelly. That would let overfill water fill the underbelly.

Another possibility is a leak/break/disconnect of the short tube that connects the 2 fresh tanks commonly found on Cyclones.

In either case, if it's fresh water, there are two problems. The first problem is that the fresh tank is filling by itself when connected to city water. This can be a problem with the 4-way Anderson Valve, or with the check valve built into the water pump. After fixing the leak/break/disconnect/overflow positioning, you can determine why the fresh tanks are getting filled with the help of our owner-written Fresh Tank Fills by Itself Guide in this folder.

Attachments

• Fresh Tank Overflow.jpg
    Fresh Tank Overflow.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 50

Harrisiv

Really "dumb" question...the thin pointed end of the Anderson valve selector points to the correct designation, right?