Mice keep getting in

flyfishing48

I have been bothered by mice 3 times this year so far. We have a 2009 Sundance with the docking station. I think they are climbing up the water hose and getting in to the basement area from there. I keep a trap set right next to the opening now. Caught one last night in Freeport Maine. Found droppings on the curb side of the basement and the one mouse in the trap near the water hose on the other side. I have 2 more traps set on the curb side right now. Nothing so far today, maybe tonight?
I need to come up with something to block the opening where the water hose and cable come through. The opening is huge.
Anyone else with a docking station having issues with mice?:(

beardedone

Beardedone
On one trailer I got squirreled, badly, and on the replacement I had the entire bottom sprayed with foam insulation. That was also for my winter camping. I still had to put heavy gauge, small opening wire on some areas. On our new Landmark with the docking station I am going to put a plywood board in the docking station to cover the bottom with holes drilled through no bigger then the cord or hose that has to go through. I will also be putting a 2" piece of foam insulation on the board to keep the cold out. Additionally I have closed in the area between the door and the dividing wall between the docking station and the cargo storage area. Hope this helps.

Gerry

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Flyfish, get one of these. Bob:D:D:eek:the cat

Attachments

• crazy cat 015(Medium).jpg
    crazy cat 015(Medium).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

bunnie1203

I have heard that this works like a dream
Cotton-balls, peppermint extract.
a few soaked cotton-balls with the extract tucked around the place, mice hate the smell. Makes your place smell good too. I would bet that peppermint leaves might work too.
I have not yet tried this but plan on leaving them in the rv in winter.
Diane

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We use Bounce dryer sheets in the winter for both the RV and boat. No problems with mice or bugs yet.
Kristy

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I purchased a round piece of a Styrofoam type material which is the size of the hole. It has a hole in the middle big enough for the water hose and a cut from the edge to the hole in the middle to make it flexible to fit. It works great, covers the hole, and keeps vermin and bugs out. The product is called critter guard ... their website is

http://www.RVCritterGuard.com

Hope that helps. I love mine it works.

flyfishing48

Jim,
The product you gave me the link for is the type of thing I was thinking of using. I am convinced that they are walking right up the water hose and then into the basement. I may order one of those when I get back home form this trip. Until then, I'll keep the trap line going, and maybe add a dryer sheet and the other tips, except the cat. DW would in a heartbeat, not sure what our dog would have to say about it?
Thanks

SmokeyBare

Tom,

Although the CritterGuard product is a fine idea... It's a little costly in my view. Why not try getting a piece of foam rubber from a Craft Store or Sewing Store. Foam can be cut to fit the hole... making a round hole in the middle with a slice cut to the hole from one edge... should neatly do the trick. I'd buy a square piece of foam rubber and cut a out more than one...

Just my opinion....

Marv

beardedone

Beardedone
Just remember that if you are in squirrel country they will eat through rubber of all kinds. I had eat through a propane hose, hence the wire in the bottom of the cabinet. That is why I always use plywood on the surface closest to the outside and then whatever. If you are not worried about squirrels disregard.

azbound

WE have tried both the Bounce and cotton balls soaked Mint oil and they both seem to work. Nothing ventured nothing Gained and the price can't be beat.

Good luck

Westwind

I think Heartland has changed the docking station so that when you shut the door the station is sealed off from the compartment. I'll have to climb into the compartment and check it out. I'm in the process of winterizing and had to take stuff out of the compartment to open the wall on the docking stations side of the compartment to blow out the ice maker line and shut the valve off. That's taking me longer then winterizing the whole trailer.