Gateway 3713CK

TexasTraveler2017

Hello everyone. We are in the process of considering the new Gateway 3713CK (which appears to be identical to the 3712 RDMB with the exception of an outdoor kitchen and fireplace instead of a sofa in front of the TV). We love how open it feels in the living area and so far we really love it. We are planning to full-time and the only sticking point is that all 3 lower slides are controlled hydraulically by one switch. So far, I have been told that this can not be changed by the factory. I have a question to the dealer we've been working with at Lakeshore RV about how these slides are plumbed. Has anyone dealt with this on their gateway? I feel we really need the options of which slide to deploy when we stop for lunch at a rest area or even the occasional overnight at a Walmart, etc... Any ideas on the level of difficulty or cost associated with changing this after purchase?

Thanks!

danemayer

You may be able to leave the current valve permanently open by turning its manual control set screw. Then if you add 3 switches and 3 new valves (1 for each slide), and the wiring from the switches to the pump and valves, you may be able to do it without adding new hoses. You'll need someone who has enough expertise to be able to add the valves without leaving you with leaking hydraulic fluid.

It's probably a fairly expensive modification to have someone do for you. If you think it's something you can do, you should call Lippert to get an idea on pricing of switches and valves.

But....some models have control valves up front to let you do what you want by closing the ones you don't want operating. Here's a picture of the controls in a Bighorn, inside the front storage compartment. You should take a look to see if the trailer you are looking at has these (it may not).
BH Slideout Controls.jpg

BusManRG

I feel we really need the options of which slide to deploy when we stop for lunch at a rest area or even the occasional overnight at a Walmart, etc... Any ideas on the level of difficulty or cost associated with changing this after purchase?

Thanks!

Does the door side slide open first? Because if so you only need to let the one slide open before you are able to reach the refrigerator, the dinette, and the sink.
Sandy

TexasTraveler2017

You may be able to leave the current valve permanently open by turning its manual control set screw. Then if you add 3 switches and 3 new valves (1 for each slide), and the wiring from the switches to the pump and valves, you may be able to do it without adding new hoses. You'll need someone who has enough expertise to be able to add the valves without leaving you with leaking hydraulic fluid.

It's probably a fairly expensive modification to have someone do for you. If you think it's something you can do, you should call Lippert to get an idea on pricing of switches and valves.

But....some models have control valves up front to let you do what you want by closing the ones you don't want operating. Here's a picture of the controls in a Bighorn, inside the front storage compartment. You should take a look to see if the trailer you are looking at has these (it may not).
View attachment 53174

I wish I would have taken some pictures when we were looking at the 3712 at our local dealer on Saturday, but I know it didn't have a selector valve control like in your picture. All I saw were all of the hydraulic lines going into the main "manifold" (not sure what the correct term would be) that you can see above/behind the controls in your picture. Do all of the lines for the 6 point leveling and slides go through the same controls?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Does the door side slide open first? Because if so you only need to let the one slide open before you are able to reach the refrigerator, the dinette, and the sink.
Sandy

I was told that the slides with least resistance/lightest slides would go out first. Unfortunately that would probably be the bunkhouse slide and the single sofa slide on the off door side before the door side slide with the fridge would go out. The kitchen and living areas are setup perfectly for stopping if I can get the main slide with the fridge out just enough to open the fridge.

BusManRG

TexasTraveler2017;553628 I was told that the slides with least resistance/lightest slides would go out first. Unfortunately that would probably be the bunkhouse slide and the single sofa slide on the off door side before the door side slide with the fridge would go out. The kitchen and living areas are setup perfectly for stopping if I can get the main slide with the fridge out just enough to open the fridge.[/QUOTE said:
they should absolutely let you run the slides in and out and that would give you a chance to see exactly how they operate.

danemayer

I wish I would have taken some pictures when we were looking at the 3712 at our local dealer on Saturday, but I know it didn't have a selector valve control like in your picture. All I saw were all of the hydraulic lines going into the main "manifold" (not sure what the correct term would be) that you can see above/behind the controls in your picture. Do all of the lines for the 6 point leveling and slides go through the same controls?

Thanks!

The manifold, which I think Lippert calls a trombetta, sits on the tank that holds the hydraulic fluid. When you operate a switch, whether for leveling or for slides, 2 things happen: power is applied to the pump, and a valve is opened so that fluid can flow.

If you saw no controls like in the picture, you would definitely have to add a valve for each slide and leave the current all slides valve permanently open. Your new switches would each operate a different valve, and also turn on the pump.

TexasTraveler2017

So I finally got a response from the dealership after they got a response from Heartland:

Hello Brent,

I asked Heartland Gateway about the slides opening. This is their response:
Subject: RE: Message about the 2018 Gateway 3712RDMB from Lakeshore RV Center

There is only one line ran from the manifold to the slide rooms. We do not have a system to only move one room with the way we build them.

Jim Jenkins
Heartland RV

Thank you,April Welch
Lakeshore RV Center

So, this would end up being quite the endeavor to re-plumb the hydraulic slides. Then I thought about some way to give the lightest 2 slides just enough resistance so that the biggest/heaviest slide would go out first. While this wouldn't be my preference, would something like this work?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/slide-lock.htm

I wouldn't think that it would damage anything, as long as you're not trying to force those slides open with these in place (after the big slide has gone out).

danemayer

RBA

We're interested in looking at the Gateway 3713 CK but have not been able to find a unit at a dealership. Does anyone know of a dealership in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area that has one?

danemayer

We're interested in looking at the Gateway 3713 CK but have not been able to find a unit at a dealership. Does anyone know of a dealership in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area that has one?

Hi RBA,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'd think your question might best be answered by calling Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Gateway sales and I would expect they can tell you where the nearest one is located.

RBA

Hi RBA,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'd think your question might best be answered by calling Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Gateway sales and I would expect they can tell you where the nearest one is located.

Thanks! I've submitted a message to them and will call as well next week.

Oldelevatorman

The manifold, which I think Lippert calls a trombetta, sits on the tank that holds the hydraulic fluid. When you operate a switch, whether for leveling or for slides, 2 things happen: power is applied to the pump, and a valve is opened so that fluid can flow.

If you saw no controls like in the picture, you would definitely have to add a valve for each slide and leave the current all slides valve permanently open. Your new switches would each operate a different valve, and also turn on the pump.

Did Heartland give you an explanation for why they did it that way? Sounds like a bad design to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Did Heartland give you an explanation for why they did it that way? Sounds like a bad design to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One man's bad design is another man's affordable price point. If you want separate controls for each slide, it's available at a higher price point.