LED Awning lights

afire5

I have a North Trail 29RETS 2015. I had a problem with the led lights. They would only light up two little lights. I had the rv dealer order a new strip and while waiting for the strip, I opened the awening and the light had shorted and started a fire and burned the awening. I am totally disgusted that the so called "bumper to pumper total coverage" that I paid $3k for with US Plus insurance would not cover the awening material, which would cost $500, but would cover the $75 light. This is totally unacceptable!!! The will cover the "Piece that started the fire, but not the damage it caused". I will have to really do some soul searching to by this type of insurance again. I am praying that when I contact the manufacture of this matter they would cover the damage to the awening . Errrr :mad:

danemayer

Hi afire5,

I've read a few extended warranty policies and coverage of consequential damage is typically excluded. And the warranty statement in your trailer manual very likely also excludes consequential damages. During warranty, Heartland may on occasion cover consequential damage as a goodwill gesture, but if you're out of warranty, it's less likely.

That said, phone calls are cheap. Maybe they'll help.

Btw, based on your description, I'm guessing your lights are inside the awning when it's closed. So for them to have damaged the awning, whether from a short, or just from heat, they must have been on with the awning rolled up.

When you get new lights, I'd suggest you have them mounted outside the awning.

Last edited by a moderator:

afire5

Re: Awning LED Lights

... I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and I am wondering if there is a recall on this LED. ... I believe there is a fault with the LED or the circuit that would have enough power to an LED STRIP to start a fire. Please respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

I don't recall hearing about a recall on the LED lights, but you can search for recall info at the NHTSA.GOV website.

afire5

Understood on turning lights off before retracting. Problem was lights didn't work. Switch to was and still is in off position. dealer chasing power back to switch.