Any fix for really tight kitchen drawer slides?

BobTheBuilder

One is so tight my wife can barely operate it and a couple of others are pretty stiff. I am guessing it is an installation error but figured others had encountered it and might could tell me how to correct it.
Thanks

CoveredWagon

One is so tight my wife can barely operate it and a couple of others are pretty stiff. I am guessing it is an installation error but figured others had encountered it and might could tell me how to correct it.
Thanks

I found one kitchen drawer was very tight. What I found in the end was the catch/latch or whatever you call it was dragging on the bottom of the drawer. The only fix was to remove it. It works fine now and the roller glide seem to keep it latched satisfactory.

BobTheBuilder

Problem Fixed-- Any fix for really tight kitchen drawer slides?

Found the problem and will share for any others.

These are double slides that allow the drawer to extend the full depth. When you pull them all the way out, there is what I call a transfer point where it goes from the first slide to the second one (or track). Under normal operation, if you pull it slowly and pay attention, you can feel a slight "shift" when the first section of slide is out and the second takes over. If you remove the drawer, you will see a carrier of ball bearings that slides easily back and forth but it can only go back so far as there are a set of very small stops that catch it. That carrier of the ball bearings had some how been forced over the stops and would no longer move. But by pulling hard the second slide would roll on the bearings and come out. I had to slightly bend the frame of the bearing carrier to get it back over the stops and then bend it in so that it now hits the stops. It is not as smooth as the other drawers but is easy enough that my wife can now operate it.

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Hi Bobthebuilder, may try a little WD40 first and if that doesn't help you may need to adjust the latch. Good luck.:)