Augusta Potential Buyer andGooseneck adapters

gdonahoo

I am new to this organization. I sent some private messages out to a couple of senior members and one suggested I "post" my questions. Therefore I will follow the advice.

My questions. We want to Full time within a few years. We have looked at just about every brand under the sun and keep coming back to Landmark (cost vs. value) What can you current Landmark full timers commment on your coaches? Good bad or indeferent.

I also prefer to tow with a gooseneck adapter over a plate. My dealer indicates Heartland says it voids the chassis warrenty. I have done this for years without any problems, plus it keeps all that componentry out of my bed. Any feedback from anyone?

cjbearden

Visitor
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6637&highlight=Augusta

Read this thread for some comparisons of the Augusta and BH 3670. We upgraded from BH 3400RL after we began full-timing this year. Wanted more kitchen counter workspace, dedicated space for stackable washer/dryer, retractable power cord, dual pane windows, second A/C, HD TVs, hydraulic front legs, and other features mentioned in the above thread.

Bought off a lot so it already had the 14 CF Elite Refrigerator. Recommend you try get the smaller refrigerator so you have more pantry space. Larger fridge not worth the hassels that we and several others have gone through with breaking parts, waiting on parts, etc.

Underbed storage is gone due to the hydraulics stored there now.

Get JT Stabilizers (which we still have to do). Without them, there is a lot of bounce when walking around and washer causes a lot of bounce.

We had fireplace removed in order to have more storage area under the desk. A panel was made to cover existing wiring hanging down and the subwoofer sits outside the panel.

In order to have file drawers, opted to have dining table and two chairs removed in order to insert desk with storage on each side of chair opening. Desk also does not hit sink counter when slide is in like the table did. Removed the two recliners so DH could have a LaZboy wallhugger and make room for cats' litter box and sleeping houses. We actually had more room for the cats in the BH.

All-in-all, we do love our Augusta and plan to spend many years full-timing in it - Lord be willing and a Gulf Coast hurricane doesn't sweep us away. Just remember, everyone makes modifications for their particular situation. You just have to find the one that has the most items you want in a fifth wheel and figure out how to do the rest.

Best wishes. Sorry cannot respond to gooseneck. Will let someone else speak on that issue.

Shadowchek

I no we have hijacked this thread but just a quick comment. we looked at the BH 3670 and Loved the kitchen but you get the most living room space in the 3400rl it would be hard to give that up.

Greg

wshamby01

I started out with a very well made gooseneck adapter and it seemed you could feel it flex the tongue with every take off of fast stop. THese trailers are too heavy in my opinion and the Landmark is even heavier. the tongue is not reinforces the same as gooseneck tailers. I went and got the B&W COmpanion and it wourks great of course I already have the B&W gooseneck. I can put it in un under 15 minutes and take it out to haul my horse and equipment trailers. Much more stable and a lot less jerky when starting, stopping, or hitting bumps. Just my $0.02's. Good luck!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The frame manufacturer, Lippert Components, will definitely void the warranty if you use a gooseneck. My understanding is that the pin box area is not sufficiently support with vertical bracing like a gooseneck trailer, i.e., a horse or car hauler. Their frames are meant to be towed with a conventional fifth-wheel hitch only.

dewwood

As has been stated above the B&W Companion hitch is a great setup. You can use the gooseneck ball or turn it over to have a clear floor in the bed of your TV or you can remove the ball and install the fifth wheel hitch for your camper. These are very well made units with probably the most steel of any similar hitch. It has been discussed many times before so do a search and you will find quite a bit of information on them.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I am a bit curious. If you plan on fulltiming, why would you need to have a "clean bed" ? As stated above, this will void your frame warranty.

regards,

Mark