Recommend a cover? New owner

Bonami

I just purchased my first trailer in almost 40 years - a Terry Classic V21. The stupid eclipse up here in Oregon means no quiet camping until after 8/21, so I am storing it for now, but weather up here means rain 9 months and hot summer this year that we aren't really equipped for (103 this next week). Does anyone have experience with a cover for their Terry that they would recommend?

Oh, and just a comment - we had our maiden voyage at a crowded RV park (at least it was very wooded even though wall-wall RVs and trailers) and we had dozens of curious and envious gawkers that had not seen the Classic. Most thought it was a custom modified job - but an old timer or 2 had seen something in the 60s like it. I didn't buy it to attract attention, but it was fun and an easy way to talk to fellow RVers.

BobbyandGenee

Welcome to the Terry Family!

So we are experimenting with a light weight cover (which we bought 2 months ago and have not put on yet because we are using the rig so much!). It's a Tyvek material we bought off Amazon. I will let you know how it goes.

We paid for the poly coat that is guaranteed for 5 years. So far all we need is a swifter duster to clean it, except where the bugs hit and they come off easily with a wet wash cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

When we lived in Gresham, we put a breathable high end cover on our trailer over the winter. We had a big problem with condensation. If you do cover it, you will need to run a dehumidifier during your rainy season (mid September-July 5th).

DickO

We live in Arizona. We have a cover made with Sunbrella fabric. We travel usually 2 weeks out and 3 of 4 weeks home. We always keep our unit covered. It is a 37 foot Bighorn. It is very easy to put on and take off. I am 73 so I go SLOW. Biggest trick is folding the cover for easy on. PM me if you want to know our method. Our cover in 5 years old and in very good shape.

Last edited:

Bonami

When we lived in Gresham, we put a breathable high end cover on our trailer over the winter. We had a big problem with condensation. If you do cover it, you will need to run a dehumidifier during your rainy season (mid September-July 5th).
Yes, I was afraid of this. Storage will be at a gated RV storage and no power, so not a great option.

We live in Arizona. We have a cover made with Sunbrella fabric. We travel usually 2 weeks out and 3 of 4 weeks home. We always keep our unit covered. It is a 37 foot Bighorn. It is very easy to put on and take off. I am 73 so I go SLOW. Biggest trick is folding the cover for easy on. PM me if you want to know our method. Our cover in 5 years old and in very good shape.

You inspire me! Everyone else talks about it being a PITA, but maybe we are all too impatient and not careful enough. AZ may be better for mold than Gresham, however. Sun damage - you win there.

Welcome to the Terry Family!
So we are experimenting with a light weight cover (which we bought 2 months ago and have not put on yet because we are using the rig so much!). It's a Tyvek material we bought off Amazon. I will let you know how it goes.

We paid for the poly coat that is guaranteed for 5 years. So far all we need is a swifter duster to clean it, except where the bugs hit and they come off easily with a wet wash cloth.

I paid for it too, not sure if it will be cost-effective or just a sucker's bet. I see some under $200 covers on Amazon and it might be worth the chance. I am getting a quote from CalMark on a Sunbrella one. Thanks for the input.

This is a fairly common question and there are a number of threads related to covers. A search will turn up a number of those but the general conclusion is that they are difficult to get on, difficult to keep on with winds when stored and rub the finish off of corners were the move when windy.

Yes, I searched and read, but it appears to be in part dependent on location, availability of covered or at least power accessible storage, climate, time in storage compared to time in use, and the style/model of the trailer - including the Classic's shiny exterior. I was just hoping for someone with experience for my particular situation. And Heartland seems to disagree with most posters in their FAQ:

Many RV owners prefer to cover their RVs with the drape-over style covers to protect the surfaces and finish from UV breakdown, dirt, leaves, birds and other airborne contaminants. On the other-hand, many RV owners feel that to cover an RV with the drape-over style covers may lead to chafing and that chafing can lead to rubbing of paint, decals and other finishes. This camp prefers the trade-off of the effects of a cover that may rub off their finishes to the need to work harder to restore the finish of an RV that is exposed to the elements during the period of non-use.

So I am still searching out opinions. Thanks for the input.

2018 Terry Classic V21
2017 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax/Allison

Lynn1130

Being in Arizona and storing inside or in covered storage I have little use for a cover but I have found that a good polymer such as Rejex (and there are numerous threads on this one too) is better than a cover. In the storage area where I am there are many trailers stored outside and over the years I have seen a few use covers. Most of the the covers are half off or hanging by ropes at odd angles due to our wind and dust storms so they may work here but not well from what I have seen. You case may be different but after 6 years on this site I have noticed that many of those that cover have not been that happy with the results. And, as for Arizona and a dry heat, right now the dew point is 69 and the humidity is 40%. We don't have dry heat from July to September so moisture becomes an issue.

In your case, with a small trailer your results may be better but with a 37' toyhauler it becomes a chore.

And who is
This camp
?

alexb2000

Agreed polymer coating or at least a few coats of good wax.

I don't care what brand of cover you use, sand and dirt will get under there and now you have sand paper with every gust of wind.

Cheaper to pay for covered storage IMO.

Gaffer

I might have exaggerated the length of the rainy season. Some years it ends the day after the Rose Festival parade.

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Well Congratulations on your new Terry!! Hope you enjoy. Looks to be lots of information on covers for you. Take care and safe travels.

Terri

Bonami

Being in Arizona and storing inside or in covered storage I have little use for a cover but I have found that a good polymer such as Rejex (and there are numerous threads on this one too) is better than a cover. In the storage area where I am there are many trailers stored outside and over the years I have seen a few use covers. Most of the the covers are half off or hanging by ropes at odd angles due to our wind and dust storms so they may work here but not well from what I have seen. You case may be different but after 6 years on this site I have noticed that many of those that cover have not been that happy with the results. And, as for Arizona and a dry heat, right now the dew point is 69 and the humidity is 40%. We don't have dry heat from July to September so moisture becomes an issue.

In your case, with a small trailer your results may be better but with a 37' toyhauler it becomes a chore.

And who is ?

The Heartland website FAQ. So I guess the manufacturer?
https://www.heartlandrvs.com/resources/utilities-menu/faqs-kb?view=faq&catid=0

- - - Updated - - -

I might have exaggerated the length of the rainy season. Some years it ends the day after the Rose Festival parade.

Ha ha. No, you pegged it. But this week we are supposed to be 107 F!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so I will close this thread in general. Lots of strong opinions and good advice. I would like to know more from anyone who has the shiny Classic, but it is so new I don't think anyone will be able to comment on how it will look cover or no cover in a few years.

Thanks for the help, and if you have a Terry Classic and any ideas, please PM me or add to the thread!

Thanks!

BobbyandGenee

We plan to just use our cover during the summer when UV is the worst. We don't want moisture being held under the cover and getting mold. We are just trying to keep the dust off as much as possible. The rear of the trailer seems to catch dust really well!

We finally got our cover on (kind of). Our test install led to putting it on inside out. And I ripped it a bit trying to pull over the gutter. (Gorilla tape fixed it). I will now label the cover for "front up" so I know which way it goes when starting with it all rolled up.

You can see in the photo the top is padded, which when installed correctly will not be visible! The buckles hold the cover on, although I am gun shy about going to tight because I don't want any tearing. We have not had any strong winds yet, so I can give more opinion after we get a windy day.

08ac373c22c59d2d2d103ddcc97c4611.jpg

Bonami

We plan to just use our cover during the summer when UV is the worst. We don't want moisture being held under the cover and getting mold. We are just trying to keep the dust off as much as possible. The rear of the trailer seems to catch dust really well!

We finally got our cover on (kind of). Our test install led to putting it on inside out. And I ripped it a bit trying to pull over the gutter. (Gorilla tape fixed it). I will now label the cover for "front up" so I know which way it goes when starting with it all rolled up.

You can see in the photo the top is padded, which when installed correctly will not be visible! The buckles hold the cover on, although I am gun shy about going to tight because I don't want any tearing. We have not had any strong winds yet, so I can give more opinion after we get a windy day.

Thanks so much for suggestion and pictures. I will probably imitate your setup for the rest of summer. It's obvious that there are conflicting opinions, most say no cover. I was hoping other Terry Classic owners had an opinion, as its surface is a little different from a typical painted beige or grey 5th wheel. Thanks for your help.

Furious10

I just purchased my first trailer in almost 40 years - a Terry Classic V21. The stupid eclipse up here in Oregon means no quiet camping until after 8/21, so I am storing it for now, but weather up here means rain 9 months and hot summer this year that we aren't really equipped for (103 this next week). Does anyone have experience with a cover for their Terry that they would recommend?

Oh, and just a comment - we had our maiden voyage at a crowded RV park (at least it was very wooded even though wall-wall RVs and trailers) and we had dozens of curious and envious gawkers that had not seen the Classic. Most thought it was a custom modified job - but an old timer or 2 had seen something in the 60s like it. I didn't buy it to attract attention, but it was fun and an easy way to talk to fellow RVers.

Welcome to the Terry family.

About covers: I'm sure you will get a lot of yeas and a lot of nays. This question comes up for our classic cars too, and again, a lot of yes/no. We have always had a "thing" about putting our vehicles (hot rods) in a garage...hence, we have 2 double garages, 1 over-size single garage that can hold a car, motorcycle and jet ski, and 1 "garage mahal" where we work on everything. We have decided that the Terry will be housed in it's own garage, so I'm not much help to you. We live in the country, so space is not a problem. In the meantime, it sits in the open but I have covered the front window with a sun barrier. We take it camping about every three weeks.

Your comment is something quite familiar to Terry owners. We give many tours when camping and have to explain the "old/new" look. You are correct; it is a good way to meet fellow campers. It's based on the '61 Holiday House so that's just what I tell them.

- - - Updated - - -

Your cover looks good, BobbyandGenee. Looks like it was made for the Terry. Let us know how it works out.

happykraut

This is a fairly common question and there are a number of threads related to covers. A search will turn up a number of those but the general conclusion is that they are difficult to get on, difficult to keep on with winds when stored and rub the finish off of corners were the move when windy.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/62097-To-cover-or-not?highlight=covers
I fully agree with Lynn. Several years ago I covered my previous fiver and after one season of use my dealer could tell from the wear that it had been covered. If you do decide to cover it, I'd recommend putting throw rugs over any point that sticks up like the antenna, ladder etc.

Greggshere

BobbyandGenee it looks like you went with the 22-24' cover. It appears that if you had not covered the LP tanks and hitch the 20 -22' would have fit fine? I'm looking at one of these and I'm not worried about covering the tanks and hitch.

BobbyandGenee

Our thought process on this was not only complete coverage for a uniform look, but also for UV ray wear on the plastic parts of the tanks, battery covers, and the jack. Plastic is light, but it only has so much life. I have had those jack covers crack after a few years of UV exposure.

Greggshere

I understand, however do you feel the 20-22 would fit if I don't cover those?

BobbyandGenee

I feel it would. I think your only side effect will be "pooling" of the cover where it sits on the "A" frame. We opted for the 11 gallon LP tanks, so we are tight fit. No room between the jack, LP cover, or bateries