Towing Pioneer BH270 Question?

Good evening all,
First I want to say we are super excited for our new camper. (We pick it up tomorrow at 2pm)
But I have a few concerns that I did ask the dealer and they insured me everything will be OK.

I just want to run this by the experts to make sure we are OK.

We have a 2006 Tundra. Access Cab, SR5, 4X4. It came equipped with the tow package Class 4 hitch and rated at 6900lbs.

However, the owners manual says if we add a sway control device we should never exceed 12,500lbs.

We are having the sway control device and a weight distributing hitch added. But does that make sense?

The dry weight of the trailer comes in at 6354 which will only leave 546 for cargo and people if we go with the 6900lbs.

What do you all think? (Aside from getting a new truck) Do these weights make sense?

Thanks
John

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeR

Possibly the 12500 number is the combined weight for both the truck and trailer. Get your truck weighed with a full tank of gas and the people that will be in the truck when towing. Also, anything else that will be in the truck. This will give you a number you can subtract from the 12500, to see what your trailer weight can be.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are multiple factors to determine safe towing. Check into purchasing this app, www.rvtowcheck.com. Salesmen will tell you what you want to hear to sell the RV. Once you've signed, it's your responsibility to be safe towing. They are not responsible for your choice.

This app was developed by a Heartland Owner, David Gray, with years of research and development. Well worth it to have a calculator that can determine with certainty what you can safely tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk