Dometic RML8555 Refer not working (Edge)

MarionSSS

Prepping for our latest camping trip I tried to turn on Dometic RML8555 refrigerator to get it cold for the trip and it would not come on in any mode. The red LED flashes along with the particular mode - 12v, 120v, gas, auto - also get beeping with the flashing. Figure no big deal just take it to the local RV shop and get it fixed, right?

Wrong.

My regular RV shop (didn't buy my M21 there) fiddle with it all day. They say it's a German refrigerator and that the only service manual they can find is in German. They tried to force the unit to reset by disconnecting from power but no luck. They finally called Dometic and were told that the refrigerator is German refrigerator and that they couldn't help them. Of course, my local shop said they'd be willing to put a new unit in it's place for $2000 plus installation!

I find it hard to believe that Heartland would have put these in their units and have no way to service them. Has anybody else run into issues with their RML8555 and been able to get it fixed?

Sjor

Re: ATF: Edge - Dometic RML8555 Frig not working

Any luck with your Domestic RML8555? I am having the same issue with an Echo that I recently purchased.
Thanks.

Prepping for our latest camping trip I tried to turn on Dometic RML8555 refrigerator to get it cold for the trip and it would not come on in any mode. The red LED flashes along with the particular mode - 12v, 120v, gas, auto - also get beeping with the flashing. Figure no big deal just take it to the local RV shop and get it fixed, right?

Wrong.

My regular RV shop (didn't buy my M21 there) fiddle with it all day. They say it's a German refrigerator and that the only service manual they can find is in German. They tried to force the unit to reset by disconnecting from power but no luck. They finally called Dometic and were told that the refrigerator is German refrigerator and that they couldn't help them. Of course, my local shop said they'd be willing to put a new unit in it's place for $2000 plus installation!

I find it hard to believe that Heartland would have put these in their units and have no way to service them. Has anybody else run into issues with their RML8555 and been able to get it fixed?

dgoy

Any luck with your Domestic RML8555? I am having the same issue with an Echo that I recently purchased.
Thanks.

One possible cause maybe that the fridge was accidently put into service mode as this will cause the flashing and beeping. Another cause might be is either the power or temp button is sticking. Mine does that. Check the buttons for sticking

Sjor

Thanks for your reply.... I just checked the buttons and they seem fine. How can I turn service mode on and off?
Cheers.

One possible cause maybe that the fridge was accidently put into service mode as this will cause the flashing and beeping. Another cause might be is either the power or temp button is sticking. Mine does that. Check the buttons for sticking

dgoy

Thanks for your reply.... I just checked the buttons and they seem fine. How can I turn service mode on and off?
Cheers.

The easlist way to access the service mode is to use Dometic's repair manual. On a previous post, Gary521 has posted a link to the 8555 manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1241969/Dometic-Rm-8401.html?page=42#manual This is a European manual which makes reference to 230 volt AC instead of North American's 120 volts AC. Don't worry about that as it this only affects the AC heating element. The control system circuit is on the 12 volt DC. The steps to entering the service mode is the same wheather the fridge is a European or North American.

The steps to enter the service mode starts on page 30. At this point you will determine which model you have, the MES or the AES. Most likely you have the AES model. The pictures on this page will help you determine which one.
Then follow the steps for that model.

Good luck

Rgill

I have the Edge M21 with a Dometic RML 8555. It quit after a trip last November with the same problem. It gives a fault light in all modes and beeps.
It will not go into the test mode and will not reset. I have checked every component. Dometic said it needed a main board so I ordered it through Camping World last Thursday, $489.00.
I have since found on the web that the same unite installed in Escape trailers have been failing for a few years and some deal with Dometic is getting them some replacements. Try Googling (problems with dometic RML 8555 ).
Please post if you get any help. The new board is expected at CW in 7 to 10 days.
We always had trouble with this model.
Dometic has been no help after hours on the phone with them!
Ray

Chumbly

I don't know if mine is the same model of fridge, (mine is in a M21), and I know it is Dometic. Anyway, I seem to have trouble with it every time I take it out the first time of the year. It seems the solution to my problem is to give the electrical connections in the back, a good cleaning, especially the ground spots.....just a thought.

Rgill

I had the same problem this spring! I found the parts manual with google. Ordered the control board unit, over $400.00 that fixed it. After cleaning the gas jet, (a button size aluminum disk inside the burner) I bent it and had to have Camping World order it for me because Dometic will not sell gas parts to an individual, another $40.00. It now works better than it ever did. I had to do all the work myself. The RML8xxx is made in Germany. There was a recall on it for a heat limiter to be installed but that is all the info I could find on that. The factory told me about the recall but had no part number or placement or other information on the recall.
Camping World was the only place I could get to order the parts, with payment up front and no refunds.
Hope this helps.
Ray

I had the same problem this spring! I found the parts manual with google. Ordered the control board unit, over $400.00 that fixed it. After cleaning the gas jet, (a button size aluminum disk inside the burner) I bent it and had to have Camping World order it for me because Dometic will not sell gas parts to an individual, another $40.00. It now works better than it ever did. I had to do all the work myself. The RML8xxx is made in Germany. There was a recall on it for a heat limiter to be installed but that is all the info I could find on that. The factory told me about the recall but had no part number or placement or other information on the recall.
Camping World was the only place I could get to order the parts, with payment up front and no refunds.
Hope this helps.
Ray

I have the same problem. My Dometic RML8555 stopped working on AC. It will cool properly on LP. Seems that this is a big problem. We had RV Dometic repair techs come out and Dometic was not very helpful claiming this refrigerator was made in Europe and was not to be sold in the USA. Lame excuse, because they continued to sell them. Now all the techs got from Dometic was that they do not have parts for this refrigerator. The techs think it is the control board> Do you know which control board to order?

Mike_M81

I have the same problem. My Dometic RML8555 stopped working on AC. It will cool properly on LP. Seems that this is a big problem. We had RV Dometic repair techs come out and Dometic was not very helpful claiming this refrigerator was made in Europe and was not to be sold in the USA. Lame excuse, because they continued to sell them. Now all the techs got from Dometic was that they do not have parts for this refrigerator. The techs think it is the control board> Do you know which control board to order?

Hi - I was wondering if you or anyone else found a solution to this problem? I too have a RML 8555 that stopped working under all modes.
the dealer and Dometic have not seen this problem before. Dometic states we can change the board but doesn't think that will fix it, instead
they just keep saying replace the refrig. i must say they have been of little help. before spending around $500 for a board was thinking about
seeing if i can have the board tested. Hopefully someong can ansswer and say do this to fix it.....
thanks
Mike

Mike_M81

Mike:
You might try contacting Dinosaur Electronics that have been making aftermarket clones (that they claim are better quality) of RV refrigerator and heater circuit boards for many years. Here is a contact link: https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Cust_Service.htm

Hi Bill - Thanks for the reply. i'll have to give them a call, i don't see my board listed on their web site.
i hope someone can reply stating what their fix was for the same situation i'm having.
thanks
Mike

Mike_M81

Hi Bill - Thanks so much for the info. i am definitely going to check them out.
i just wish i had a definitive answer that the board is bad before spending that
kind of money on something that may not help. Even Dometic tells me
they don't know if replacing it will fix the issue.
thanks
Mike