SOLVED: Generator

carl.swoyer

Re: Generator

I saw an Rv that was wired wrong and the pigtail was hot every time he ran the genset. Luckily for him it was caught. Potential for backfeeding the pedestal....? scary!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Re: Generator

I saw an Rv that was wired wrong and the pigtail was hot every time he ran the genset. Luckily for him it was caught. Potential for backfeeding the pedestal....? scary!

Carl,

What did you see? Seems like an automatic transfer switch like a Progressive PD52 would make that impossible. Was it a self-install of some kind?

carl.swoyer

They ran the hot out from the inverter directly to the distribution panel. If they would have ever powered up the inverter ,say during a shore power outage they would be back feeding. And possibly electrical short as the pigtail is hot. So if dry camping some one touches it ZAP . They would be in for a shocker of a wake up.

danemayer

They ran the hot out from the inverter directly to the distribution panel. If they would have ever powered up the inverter ,say during a shore power outage they would be back feeding. And possibly electrical short as the pigtail is hot. So if dry camping some one touches it ZAP . They would be in for a shocker of a wake up.

That makes sense. When you said genset, I was puzzled. But I suppose the same mistake of not using a transfer switch could be done with a generator install.

porthole

Retired
So "they" was the owner?

- - - Updated - - -

Now I'm confused what was it - the generator or inverter that was wired wrong and by whom?

carl.swoyer

They is Owner
Inverter hot out to distribution panel on RV.
Wired by owner