Manual operation of an electric slide

CoveredWagon

Is there a way to manually operate an electric slide i.e. the bedroom slide on my Bighorn. I don't have a problem, but I like to be well armed when I do.

thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Dave, locate the drive motor (it may be under the bed platform). There should be a 1/4" hex socket on the end that you can insert a bit into and use a drill to run it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Dave, locate the drive motor (it may be under the bed platform). There should be a 1/4" hex socket on the end that you can insert a bit into and use a drill to run it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks John.
After digging all last night that's what I believe also. It's first thing on my to do list today.

JohnDar

If it's not there, look behind the molding/trim above the bed. Some electric slides had it up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIYJunkie

Check the owners manual. There may be a brake/drive disconnect that may need be disengaged prior to manual operation.

CoveredWagon

If it's not there, look behind the molding/trim above the bed. Some electric slides had it up there.

Found it under the bed. Tried every hex socket I own, both us and metric and I have the all. Nada. 😡 Called Heartland and he said something about a simple release and the move it by hand. I'm still looking for this release. He sent me a copy from the Lippert manual, which is what I have which shows the 1/4 inch hex drive. A little more looking and then me and Heartland are gonna have a heart to heart talk.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the owners manual. There may be a brake/drive disconnect that may need be disengaged prior to manual operation.

thats what I am looking for. HELP please 😁

CoveredWagon

Wellllll based on all the information I've gathered from the Bighorn community and a couple of calls to customer service, I now believe that someone owes me the proper flex tool that should have come with my unit. I did buy one at Home Depot to run the hydraulic pump in an emergency situation, but i still don't know what the drive for the accu slide drive motor requires. I have a fairly good idea, but I'm tired of guessing. According to everything I can find and read the Rv should have been delivered with this tool.

danemayer

Wellllll based on all the information I've gathered from the Bighorn community and a couple of calls to customer service, I now believe that someone owes me the proper flex tool that should have come with my unit. I did buy one at Home Depot to run the hydraulic pump in an emergency situation, but i still don't know what the drive for the accu slide drive motor requires. I have a fairly good idea, but I'm tired of guessing. According to everything I can find and read the Rv should have been delivered with this tool.

Can you stick your smart phone in the area to take a picture. Maybe someone can help you identify the drive that's needed. Then you can have a more productive conversation with Heartland.

CoveredWagon

Can you stick your smart phone in the area to take a picture. Maybe someone can help you identify the drive that's needed. Then you can have a more productive conversation with Heartland.

Dan, Gary (thanks again Gary) found an excellent video on u tube that explains everything including an explanation of the tool required. I also had an excellent conversation with customer service which was before I saw the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7F6HRn_4cQ Customer service said they would really dig into this and get back to me. We were talking the same language and understood each other 100%. I have taken pictures, which really show little, since my call, but I think sending the link to the u tube video wil answer all questions. My guess is the mfg of the motor has changed things. They use what looks like a speedometer drive between the motor and the gear box. I'm sure it will work perfectly and is probably less expensive to produce in mass production. Just my guess.

Gary521

When you find something out from customer service, post what they say. I don't have one of those flexible drives and would like to know more.

CoveredWagon

When you find something out from customer service, post what they say. I don't have one of those flexible drives and would like to know more.

i certainly will. As they say in the video every unit shipped is supplied with a flex tool. I suspect there is a pile of these flex tools lying around somewhere. Customer service told me he was only familiar with motors that used 1/4 inch hex drives, mine is different. Others have also suggested they were familiar with the 1/4 hex drive. I also purchased a flex drive to run the hydraulic pump in an emergency.

JohnDar

Even their manual (Norco AccuSlide search) says it's a 1/4" hex fitting on the end of the motor shaft. You're supposed to put your 1/4" socket on the end of the flex tool.

CoveredWagon

Even their manual (Norco AccuSlide search) says it's a 1/4" hex fitting on the end of the motor shaft. You're supposed to put your 1/4" socket on the end of the flex tool.

Yes it does. Maybe the manual is not up to date. That what I tried at first. Trust me it is not. I've tried every hex bit US and Metric even tried torx bits without a bit of success. If you look at the video Gary noted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7F6HRn_4cQ it may give you a different idea. The cable I referred to that drives the gearbox , motor output, looks just like a speedometer cable, and as is noted in the video it is the same drive that will manually drive the motor. Either way I did not receive a cable drive with my unit.

JohnDar

Another wild guess: it's not a hex but a 1/4" square end on the motor shaft. A 6-point socket would not work. You'd need a 12-point.

You might try contacting Norco directly about it.

CoveredWagon

Another wild guess: it's not a hex but a 1/4" square end on the motor shaft. A 6-point socket would not work. You'd need a 12-point. You might try contacting Norco directly about it.

The end of the motor shaft is flush with the end of the motor housing.the is a small hole of some shape in the end of the shaft. I'd be willing to bet that it's a square drive, just like a speedo cable. I'm not in a rush, just trying to follow this on. Nor o will come if Heartland can't help.

Gary521

Perhaps the flex cable has a proprietary end on one end of the cable and a square drive on the other. The part number for the flex shaft is P854775

CoveredWagon

Perhaps the flex cable has a proprietary end on one end of the cable and a square drive on the other. The part number for the flex shaft is P854775

Oh im just making a SWAGuess that it's a square end. It sure looks like a piece of speedo cable and those are easy to square shape. I guess we'll all find out shortly, I hope.