Electric fireplace replacement

Bobby A

Help me out monitor people where to put this. Thanks,

O.k. while its fresh on my mind I wanted to give you all the information on the exact replacement for the Dimplex OptiFlame fireplace insert that is in my 2010 Bighorn, since mine went bad some of you might start experiencing the same thing and need a replacement, so I will save you the leg work. My model number for the OptiFlame is BF5000 serial # 13608D3F 093 which Dimplex is not making the OptiFlame series any longer. So what I just bought from a company out of Alamaba named, Electric Fireplaces Direct.com (Great service by the way). My new model number for the 26 inch fireplace is a Dimplex model # DFR2651L Serial # 12717D1F 406. It fit perfectly in the existing cut. I could of R&Rrd it in under a half hour but I had things to do this evening so its still sitting in my living room till the morning. Thought this might be useful for some of you.

Bobby A

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

Bobby:
Just out of curiosity, what went so wrong with your electric fireplace that it couldn't be fixed? I regularly replace light bulbs (I regularly find them at the $1 stores or Walmart), I found a replacement stepper motor (when the old one finally got noisy) on E-Bay for less than $5, I even replaced the light dimmer circuit for the lights with a wallplate lamp dimmer module. It still runs great, I run it all night EVERY night for mood lighting, use the electric heating in the winter months.

Bobby A

Bobby:
Just out of curiosity, what went so wrong with your electric fireplace that it couldn't be fixed? I regularly replace light bulbs (I regularly find them at the $1 stores or Walmart), I found a replacement stepper motor (when the old one finally got noisy) on E-Bay for less than $5, I even replaced the light dimmer circuit for the lights with a wallplate lamp dimmer module. It still runs great, I run it all night EVERY night for mood lighting, use the electric heating in the winter months.

Well Bill, I guess someone with the knowledge could tear it apart and replace parts, we use ours like you do, and have been doing it for 8 years of full time. So, to answer your question, it would work fine for maybe a half hour than it the blower would just about quit. I would shut it down for a while till it cooled off and then start it up and it would work fine, than repeat the process. When I called Dimplex and told them what it was doing, they mentioned some part going bad and it was designed to shut off when it get hot. I figured maybe the newer ones are more efficient and has different options, plus the wife said just buy a new one. The new one is definitely nicer and more color options with LED lighting. Thanks for asking

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well Bill, I guess someone with the knowledge could tear it apart and replace parts, we use ours like you do, and have been doing it for 8 years of full time. So, to answer your question, it would work fine for maybe a half hour than it the blower would just about quit. I would shut it down for a while till it cooled off and then start it up and it would work fine, than repeat the process. When I called Dimplex and told them what it was doing, they mentioned some part going bad and it was designed to shut off when it get hot. I figured maybe the newer ones are more efficient and has different options, plus the wife said just buy a new one. The new one is definitely nicer and more color options with LED lighting. Thanks for asking

Bobby, you probably did the right thing. We bought a Dimplex that was exactly like what Heartland was putting in back when. That unit had the blower go out 3 different times! We replaced it twice under their 2-year warranty, third time we replaced the unit with a newer model that had LED lights, infrared heating, and new blower design. Only got to use that one a month before we traded the rig.

wdk450

Bobby:
I never had heater blower motor problems, and my unit is now about 10 years old. It makes me think that Dimplex changed suppliers of their blower motor (usually to save a few bucks in production costs), and the new style motors aren't long-term reliable. This problem gets into the heater, and I consider that subsystem a major safety issue, and I probably wouldn't fool with trying to fix that either.

Bobby A

Bobby, you probably did the right thing. We bought a Dimplex that was exactly like what Heartland was putting in back when. That unit had the blower go out 3 different times! We replaced it twice under their 2-year warranty, third time we replaced the unit with a newer model that had LED lights, infrared heating, and new blower design. Only got to use that one a month before we traded the rig.

Thanks for the re assurance, yes, this new one has all the things you mentioned, you have to be a Philadelphia Lawyer to figure out how to use it ( the remote). Sorry you kept replacing parts on your old one. I did the same thing on an a/c unit last year, kept changing parts and then something else would go, the wife said just replace the whole unit and be done with it. So I did.

Blessings,
Bobby