Prowler fridge off household circuit

WalkTheLine

This is hopefully a stupid question with an easy answer...

I have a Prowler Lynx that we just picked up this weekend. I have an electrician coming out to the house to set up a 50amp plug in so we can run everything from the house. In the meantime, is there any way I can use a household electrical cord to run the fridge by itself for now till the electrician comes out? I was going to see if I could simply unplug the fridge and plug it into an extension cord this evening but it's a slow day at work so figured I'd see if there was an easier way.

Thanks!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
You can get a 50amp to 20 amp dog bone to neck down to 110. Just remember that you will not be able to run much that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkTheLine

You can get a 50amp to 20 amp dog bone to neck down to 110. Just remember that you will not be able to run much that way.

That would be easiest thanks-- just need to chill my fridge till the electrician comes and don't want to run through all my propane. Thanks again!!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not a problem. If you are close to Dixie they can hook you up with one otherwise Walmart should have them in the camping section

WalkTheLine

Not a problem. If you are close to Dixie they can hook you up with one otherwise Walmart should have them in the camping section

Will do! Again, many thanks for the fast reply. As you can see, I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

festor

Or just use a 12-3 extension cord and plug the fridge in to that providing it's not too far from the house

Kinguni

You can run everything except AC and microwave from household 20 amp service. We do that to keep stuff in our fridge cold.

WalkTheLine

You can run everything except AC and microwave from household 20 amp service. We do that to keep stuff in our fridge cold.

Thanks! When not in use for a period of time, do you store with the fridge door open or do you leave the door shut?

Kinguni

Thanks! When not in use for a period of time, do you store with the fridge door open or do you leave the door shut?
Should be a couple of clips (ours were in the fridge I think) to keep the doors cracked open but secure. Do that when not in use. We tend to keep the fridge running most of the summer though.

I sure do like some of the features they added to the Prowler Lynx since we got ours a couple of years ago.

pegmikef

Since we keep our rig at home, we never turn ours off (except to defrost). I am a firm believer that appliances like refrigerators last longer if they are left running. Residential reefers through the years have supported this theory. The one in the Big Horn has been running about 45 months now and still works like new.

WalkTheLine

Since we keep our rig at home, we never turn ours off (except to defrost). I am a firm believer that appliances like refrigerators last longer if they are left running. Residential reefers through the years have supported this theory. The one in the Big Horn has been running about 45 months now and still works like new.

I am getting the electrician out to put a 50amp line from the panel on our house out to the driveway where we have the trailer parked. I intend to run the fridge 24/7 once I get it set up. I just need to dig a trench and set a post before he'll come out and hook it up. Already have water out there. Incidentally, my neighbor's septic tank is 15 feet away on the other side of the property line...maybe I should approach him and offer a monthly payment if he'll let me discharge into the tank? Then, we will be set.

- - - Updated - - -

Outdoor kitchen was on our list but the 285 LX ticked almost every other box.

Sometimes I wished we had gone with something a little shorter because it is a ***** to back down our driveway... think 450 feet of thick gravel with ditches on both sides. But, we wanted the extra room for the kids so went with the 32LX

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I also leave the fridge doors open when not in use . . .

I just don't latch them and they stay open just enough to allow the fridge some ventilation.

I've found that those little latch/lock switches on the fridge doors don't work very well.

ProwlerEntCenter-P1000301.jpg

You should be able to run everything except your AC off of the regular house current, but having the correct plug-in would be nice to have!

I'm thinking about adding a 30-amp hookup at our house so I can skip the heavy duty extension cord running from the garage, plus run the AC as we use the prowler as a guest house when we have visitors.

ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg

WalkTheLine

Make sure they know how to properly wire for an RV receptacle. If it's not done correctly, it will likely fry a bunch of things in your RV.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Thanks! The electrician said he's done these before so hope he knows what he's doing...

- - - Updated - - -

I also leave the fridge doors open when not in use . . .

I just don't latch them and they stay open just enough to allow the fridge some ventilation.

I've found that those little latch/lock switches on the fridge doors don't work very well.

View attachment 53995

You should be able to run everything except your AC off of the regular house current, but having the correct plug-in would be nice to have!

I'm thinking about adding a 30-amp hookup at our house so I can skip the heavy duty extension cord running from the garage, plus run the AC as we use the prowler as a guest house when we have visitors.

View attachment 53996

I plan to use the prowler for a guest house myself so want to be able to run both A/Cs plus like you, I don't want an extension cord running around the swimming pool and through the yard. Better to do it right via a buried conduit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Still, it's best to understand how it's wired and that he shows you the legs are correct before plugging in your rig. I had an electrician wire a 30amp in our garage, but he did it like a 220v dryer. Fried the fridge, microwave and converter. He was a professional, we thought he would know best. He did pay for damage but was a big hassle.

WalkTheLine

Still, it's best to understand how it's wired and that he shows you the legs are correct before plugging in your rig. I had an electrician wire a 30amp in our garage, but he did it like a 220v dryer. Fried the fridge, microwave and converter. He was a professional, we thought he would know best. He did pay for damage but was a big hassle.

Ok good advice...I will look online for the diagrams on how it should be properly wired and since I am the one digging the trench, he will be out there with me to do the install so I will go over it with him. Any chance you have info on how to properly wire it? Thanks!