New Phoenix Floorplan

jbeletti

--Tankless water heater on hold. Very expensive and still getting mixed feedback from users on it. Would love more feedback from you all regarding it. Couldn't have it as an option; it'd be all or nothing.

Looks like the feedback here is mostly against the tankless water heater.

I just want to intimate my personal feedback. I've been using the Suburban Nautilus Tankless Water Heater since May and so far, I really like it. I have barely seen it make a dent in propane usage. Bear in mind, it heats water only when needed, versus keeping water hot all the time like a more traditional unit does.

The only downside I've seen is it take longer for hot water to reach the tap. This is due to the fact that it's not making hot water during non-use periods, therefore hot water from a storage tank is not partially in the lines. That said, we've gotten used to the short extra time to get hot water from the tap.

NTXNEWBIES

Re: New Phoenix Floorplank

So I heard a rumor that the Phoenix floor plan may be replacing the Madison. Any news or thoughts on that?

porthole

Retired
Andy, in the video you mention an AC duct in the walk in closet - is that carrying over to the Newport as was a suggestion at Goshen?

OSIN

Looks like the feedback here is mostly against the tankless water heater.

I just want to intimate my personal feedback. I've been using the Suburban Nautilus Tankless Water Heater since May and so far, I really like it. I have barely seen it make a dent in propane usage. Bear in mind, it heats water only when needed, versus keeping water hot all the time like a more traditional unit does.

The only downside I've seen is it take longer for hot water to reach the tap. This is due to the fact that it's not making hot water during non-use periods, therefore hot water from a storage tank is not partially in the lines. That said, we've gotten used to the short extra time to get hot water from the tap.

Jim, we used an ALDE system that is a small Swedish boiler with a heat exchanger in our Airstream, it worked great. I'm a fan of on demand heaters, but i also understand some may not like the technology.

AWesdorp

Everyone,

Good afternoon--Just an FYI the Phoenix pics are up and running on the website. Demand for this new floor plan at our open house was quite overwhelming and it'll take production a while to catch up with demand. We will absolutely have a Phoenix on display at the Tampa show, but the initial production units will begin shipping in early December.

The interior floor plan is awesome and the outside storage, literally, can't be beat. The team hit it out of the park!
Have a great day,
Andy

Oregon_Camper

Everyone,

Good afternoon--Just an FYI the Phoenix pics are up and running on the website. Demand for this new floor plan at our open house was quite overwhelming and it'll take production a while to catch up with demand. We will absolutely have a Phoenix on display at the Tampa show, but the initial production units will begin shipping in early December.

The interior floor plan is awesome and the outside storage, literally, can't be beat. The team hit it out of the park!
Have a great day,
Andy

Congrats Andy...this is a fantastic floorplan. One so good, it has my wife asking if should upgrade already. Our Bighorn is only 2 years old....:rolleyes:

Is the listed 43'9" correct?

EEdawg

Yes, I also would like to know if the 43' 9" is correct. I was hoping for slightly less. But it looks really nice.

AWesdorp

New Phoenix Storage pic/width opinion

Hi all,
I snapped a pic of the rear storage and MOR/ryde storage tray (800lb capacity!) yesterday afternoon. It is attached and awesome.

Length is 43'9'' from cap to cap. I don't claim to be an expert by any means (don't ask me about electricity!) but in 14 years of luxury fifth wheel sales and management, I've decided that "standard width", aka 96'' wide coaches, vs. "wide bodies", aka 102'' coaches, is the way to go. Here's my opinion:

1. With RVIA restrictions of 430sq ft for RVs, we are limited. We can build wider or longer. I vote longer--if Landmark was a wide body, we couldn't build the Phoenix, Newport, Charleston and maybe not the Oshkosh. They'd all be "illegal" at way more than 430'. Length allows cool things like huge rear dens, walk-in closets, wider basements, and bigger kitchen islands. Width allows more space per room from side to side, but constricts length. As many slide outs as we build into these beauties now, I think there is plenty of side-to-side space.
2. Safety--simple point--you can properly use your side mirrors more effectively when traveling, you don't need to purchase mirror extensions, and it is easier to see what's behind you. You're 6'' narrower on the road, interstate or dirt. Safer.

I reckon that there is a healthy counter argument for wide-body fans (shorter coaches are safer) and to that point, I'm excited about our Louisville floor plan.

When I was at Carriage from 2004 to 2010, we build 96'' wide coaches (Cameo) and wide bodies (Carri-Lite, Carriage and Royals International-a $200K coach in 2010!) Cameo always had the coolest floor plans. Carri-Lite had the industry's first 5-slide floor plan, 36XTRM5, but it could only be 37' long. This was a time when RVIA limited the units to 400sqft, but the unit couldn't have been much bigger.

Anyways, that's it for now. Have a great day everyone,
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0518-2.jpg
    IMG_0518-2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 104

porthole

Retired
'Wide bodies' are 101", 5" wider then the standard 96" trailers. And although I would like my mirrors to extend out another 2" to make up for the 2.5" extra width, they work OK.

I think the extra width may help the bigger heavier trailers track a bit better as well.
Although with many of the wide bodies the walls are thicker, so interior gained room is minimal. 1+ extra inch thickness on the walls leaves less then 3" for added interior room, not exactly noticeable.

Having towed a 101" 37' trailer for 7+ years and nearly 50,000 miles, I prefer 8'5" x 40-41' over 8' x 44', especially with only 2 axles.

Aren't some of the Gateways being built on Cyclone frames now, AKA 101's?

I would have thought from a marketing point the Landmarks would have been the first to go wide.

My guess is an industry poll by users that have had bigger trailers and were considering new, the majority would probably vote for the 40' range, especially those out west that utilize State Parks.

- - - Updated - - -

Should've been at the Goshen luncheon when the 'I decided we don't need disc brakes' came up ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Andy, perhaps you can clarify, since you have access to the RIVA standards; the 430 square foot limitation, is that using an exterior or interior measurement?

Last edited:

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Are you considering a desk option for one of the sofas? Also, no storage in the bathroom?

This floorplan looks like a winner to me. Can't wait to see it in person. Might be time to upgrade my 2016 Bighorn 3970RD. :cool:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: New Phoenix Storage pic/width opinion

Hi all,
I snapped a pic of the rear storage and MOR/ryde storage tray (800lb capacity!) yesterday afternoon. It is attached and awesome.

Length is 43'9'' from cap to cap. I don't claim to be an expert by any means (don't ask me about electricity!) but in 14 years of luxury fifth wheel sales and management, I've decided that "standard width", aka 96'' wide coaches, vs. "wide bodies", aka 102'' coaches, is the way to go. Here's my opinion:

1. With RVIA restrictions of 430sq ft for RVs, we are limited. We can build wider or longer. I vote longer--if Landmark was a wide body, we couldn't build the Phoenix, Newport, Charleston and maybe not the Oshkosh. They'd all be "illegal" at way more than 430'. Length allows cool things like huge rear dens, walk-in closets, wider basements, and bigger kitchen islands. Width allows more space per room from side to side, but constricts length. As many slide outs as we build into these beauties now, I think there is plenty of side-to-side space.
2. Safety--simple point--you can properly use your side mirrors more effectively when traveling, you don't need to purchase mirror extensions, and it is easier to see what's behind you. You're 6'' narrower on the road, interstate or dirt. Safer.

I reckon that there is a healthy counter argument for wide-body fans (shorter coaches are safer) and to that point, I'm excited about our Louisville floor plan.

When I was at Carriage from 2004 to 2010, we build 96'' wide coaches (Cameo) and wide bodies (Carri-Lite, Carriage and Royals International-a $200K coach in 2010!) Cameo always had the coolest floor plans. Carri-Lite had the industry's first 5-slide floor plan, 36XTRM5, but it could only be 37' long. This was a time when RVIA limited the units to 400sqft, but the unit couldn't have been much bigger.

Andy
Andy I completely agree with everything you said here.

Thanks
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

'Wide bodies' are 101", 5" wider then the standard 96" trailers. And although I would like my mirrors to extend out another 2" to make up for the 2.5" extra width, they work OK.

I think the extra width may help the bigger heavier trailers track a bit better as well.
Although with many of the wide bodies the walls are thicker, so interior gained room is minimal. 1+ extra inch thickness on the walls leaves less then 3" for added interior room, not exactly noticeable.

Having towed a 101" 37' trailer for 7+ years and nearly 50,000 miles, I prefer 8.5' x 40-41' over 8' x 44', especially with only 2 axles.

Aren't some of the Gateways being built on Cyclone frames now, AKA 101's?

I would have thought from a marketing point the Landmarks would have been the first to go wide.

My guess is an industry poll by users that have had bigger trailers and were considering new, the majority would probably vote for the 40' range, especially those out west that utilize State Parks.

- - - Updated - - -

Should've been at the Goshen luncheon when the 'I decided we don't need disc brakes' came up ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Andy, perhaps you can clarify, since you have access to the RIVA standards; the 430 square foot limitation, is that using an exterior or interior measurement?
Duane Trailers are 96" or 102" wide it's the same thing for all of the semi trailers.
My toyhauler was 102 and very hard to see around and behind me unless I did the big wiggle back side to side. And of course it always cheated more on the turns. This 96" Landmark seems to fallow the truck way better.

I'll take a long 96" over a shorter 102" any day.

Jerrod

Last edited:

NTXNEWBIES

Re: New Phoenix Storage pic/width opinion

Hi all,

Andy

Nice but what about pictures of the master closet/laundry area?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you considering a desk option for one of the sofas? Also, no storage in the bathroom?

This floorplan looks like a winner to me. Can't wait to see it in person. Might be time to upgrade my 2016 Bighorn 3970RD. :cool:

Sold our 2016 3875FB just for that purpose of wanting go up on the scale to a Landmark and the Phoenix accentuates that desire for certain!

porthole

Retired
Dave Trailers are 96" or 102" wide it's the same thing for all of the semi trailers.
My toyhauler was 102 and very hard to see around and behind me unless I did the big wiggle back side to side. And of course it always cheated more on the turns. This 96" Landmark seems to fallow the truck way better.

I'll take a long 96" over a shorter 102" any day.

Jerrod

Jerrod - it's Duane, not Dave ......

RV's, they are 96" or 101", not 102"
102" wide trailers have some road issues. Trailers for use on the highways that are 102" use roads so marked (hence the 102" signs we see).

What toy hauler did you have that was a full 102"?

You've towed both and prefer the normal width rig.
I've towed both and prefer the wider rig.

No matter what the width, I'd prefer to stay closer to 40' as do many people I have had the discussion with.

Now if the trucks were rated to pull them I'd prefer either width with the axle back further like freight or horse trailers, then they would track even better.

That's why we have choices.

- - - Updated - - -

I vote longer--if Landmark was a wide body, we couldn't build the Phoenix, Newport, Charleston and maybe not the Oshkosh. They'd all be "illegal" at way more than 430'.

Not sure I understand why, there are trailers out there that are 101" and 44+ feet ' long, a couple with 5-6 slides.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jerrod - it's Duane, not Dave ......

RV's, they are 96" or 101", not 102"
102" wide trailers have some road issues. Trailers for use on the highways that are 102" use roads so marked (hence the 102" signs we see).

What toy hauler did you have that was a full 102"?

You've towed both and prefer the normal width rig.
I've towed both and prefer the wider rig.

No matter what the width, I'd prefer to stay closer to 40' as do many people I have had the discussion with.

Now if the trucks were rated to pull them I'd prefer either width with the axle back further like freight or horse trailers, then they would track even better.

That's why we have choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure I understand why, there are trailers out there that are 101" and 44+ feet ' long, a couple with 5-6 slides.
Very sorry Duane
My bad on the wrong name

I had a K-Z New vision toy hauler.
And I have 36 End dump Trailers
That are 96" or 102" and some are what we call wedge Trailers which are 96" in front and 102" in the rear, making the load slide out better when the trailer goes up into the air.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
This looks similar to the GD Solitude 375 RES. Owners of that are complaining about it needing to be a triple axle because they cannot use the space due to weight restrictions. We just bought a BC 4011 and the storage is nice to have for certain. We have only loaded up a few light things so far like my golf clubs which I was not able to take last year. I can see how it would be very easy to overload if I am not careful.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Andy what is the length of the Pheonix? Website says nearly 44 feet! I saw a video mentioned, where is this video?

Hi all, thanks for all the feedback on the Phoenix. Those of you that have seen a G.D. Solitude--correct, they did a great job on the rear storage and we're adapting some of their use-of-space as opposed to how BH and BC did it internally.

Length-41'7''

Bob does a great job of axle placement so that pin weight will be proper for the coach.

Walk-in closet--yes--a Landmark industry first (Newport and Louisville at the open house) moreso than a Phoenix first, but an amazing closet concept nonetheless.

Keep the questions coming and have a great day,
Andy

- - - Updated - - -

This is a picture I would like to see!

Still no pictures of the bedroom closet and laundry setup?