Step Above versus Solid Step

HanRnRman

I would like to upgrade my steps on my 2017 Landmark. I do not have access to both brands so cannot do a side-by-side comparison. If anyone out there has done that type of a comparison, or has compelling reasons why one is better than the other, please let me know. Thanks much

danemayer

I would like to upgrade my steps on my 2017 Landmark. I do not have access to both brands so cannot do a side-by-side comparison. If anyone out there has done that type of a comparison, or has compelling reasons why one is better than the other, please let me know. Thanks much

Hi HanRnRman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If you are trying to compare steps that rest on the ground, there are a couple of choices.

Torklift Glowstep Revolution, MorRyde Step Above, the Lippert SolidStep.

The Torklift is a scissor type of step that collapses into the same space as the traditional Lippert steel folding steps or the Lippert folding AlumiTread. When extended, the adjustable feet fit uneven ground and it's very solid - no flex. The Torklift can be customized from 3 to 6 steps to provide a more gentle climb which is helpful if one has joint problems. Because of the scissor design, in a narrow space, roadside stop for example, the steps can be adjusted to a narrow profile.

The MorRyde Step Above is a fixed set of steps that is rigid. It is extremely solid and has no flex. The feet are adjustable to fit uneven terrain. When towing, you lift it up and it rests inside the doorway. It occupies a fixed width when on the ground and cannot be adjusted to fit a narrow space. It's a bit less expensive than the Torklift. Some people have expressed concern about folding the steps into the entryway if they're wet or muddy, but we haven't heard how big a problem that is from people using the step above.

The Lippert SolidStep is essential the same as the MorRyde Step Above.

EB3

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that the MorRyde steps block the door opening when not deployed. Glowsteps mount in the same place as the factory steps. I selected Glowsteps so I put things in the door without having to work around deployed steps. They are very stable.

jbeletti

I have not seen the Lippert Solid Step so I can't comment on it.

A LOT of Heartlanders have upgraded to the Glowstep Revolution by Torklift and everything I've heard about them is positive.

I am evaluating the MORryde Step Above - Zero Gravity steps. The quick review is: I really like them. The longer review is: They take some getting used to in terms of setup. But for me, so far, it's been worth it.

To elaborate a bit...

When storing the steps, you simply open your entrance door (and screen door) fully, then lift up on the steps until they are vertical. Then close your door. Easy! Now, the concern over water or debris on the steps getting into the coach is valid. What I do is keep a small broom near the steps and simply sweep them off before I store them. We also have a thin entry rug on the floor, just inside the RV - so no worries for us.

When deploying the steps, here's where there's a bit of a learning curve. I do NOT deploy the steps until the coach is in its final position (Leveling or not). Then I open the entrance door (and screen door) fully, then pull down on the steps and lower them to the ground. Then I look at the position of its threshold and how tight it is to the entrance door threshold and I look at the position of the feet on the adjustable legs. the goal is to get the steps level and the steps threshold tight to the entrance door threshold. To do so, I simply adjust the length of the leg on each side of the steps. This takes only a moment to do.

Note that it's unlikely that the next time you stop and take out your steps, that the ground surface will be the same as the previous site. So, some leg adjustment "may" be needed each time you deploy the steps. A bit of a pain at first, but once you understand what's going on and what you need to do, it adds maybe 20 seconds to the process.

As the Solid Step and the Step Above are full staircases that do not collapse, bear in mind these are all-or-nothing products. That is to say that unlike the GlowStep Revolution steps where you can keep the stairs tighter to the coach when needed, with the all-or-nothing design, you must have sufficient horizontal distance out from the doorway to fully deploy them.

Here's a link to my picture gallery for the Step Above - Zero Gravity on my current demo coach. Note that this will be the standard steps on the Landmark going forward.

Mrz

When comparing the Morryde to the Lippert steps there are a few differences. The Lippert steps have a wider top step. To me this is important because when you step out of the RV you don't have to look down. You know there is a wide step. This helps when you have a package, baby, or something in you arms. Also, the adjustable legs are in the rear of the step. This eliminates tripping over the legs when walking by. Obviously, we have the Lippert steps and are very happy with them.

Garypowell

We converted to the glow step about a year ago. Really like it but I find it hard to get the step actually level. I adjust both how far out we place the feet and the feet themselves. And you can still almost always see the steps not perfectly level.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have the MorRyde Step Above on our 2015 Landmark. There are pros and cons on these steps but we feel that the pros outway the cons. They are super steady which doesn't really rock the camper when someone comes in/out. We also opted to get the handle which really helps getting in and out of the camper. Yes, the feet at the bottom of the steps are adjustable. The cons is that they do block the entry doorway when on stops in case ya need to get inside the camper. We normally don't go into the camper while traveling so that isn't a concern for us. I (Byrd) can left the steps so they are not that heavy but if someone have back or rotter cup problems, this might be an issue. What we do for fowl weather is use the plastic-bottom bed (mattress) pads, like the ones you get for bed wetters, on the floor in the entry area under the steps which catches mud or water that might still be on the step when raising them. They are bigger and cheaper than puppy pads. We just got back from a 13,500 mile trip, in a lot of rain but didn't have any real problems using the steps.
IMG_4558.jpg This picture is from Fairbanks AK

Last edited:

danemayer

We converted to the glow step about a year ago. Really like it but I find it hard to get the step actually level. I adjust both how far out we place the feet and the feet themselves. And you can still almost always see the steps not perfectly level.
Are you also adjusting the top?

Garypowell

Interesting point Dan. So I went out and played with them a little.

It helped me remember why we always use the top stop. Linda had both of her knees partially replaced Nov/Dec of last year. She is doing absolutely excellent. Out seeing customers she does not think twice about going up or down stairs now. Climbs into the truck with ease.

But I use the top stop on the stairs so that all of them have a rise that is about equal. With the other stops it really increases the last step into the trailer distance....and even though she is doing great....you add in 70 years for both of us....and I think regular steps keep us from having other problems.

But going back to the "playing" I did. Using a level even at the other stops I could not get them perfectly level. And....since it is drizzling outside I was not willing to move the feet up or down. So I need to retract my statement about not being able to get them level. My guess if I fiddled with the feet and the stops I would find a level spot. Just not willing to do it with the above situation.

Thanks Dan....for straightening me out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interesting point Dan. So I went out and played with them a little.

It helped me remember why we always use the top stop. Linda had both of her knees partially replaced Nov/Dec of last year. She is doing absolutely excellent. Out seeing customers she does not think twice about going up or down stairs now. Climbs into the truck with ease.

But I use the top stop on the stairs so that all of them have a rise that is about equal. With the other stops it really increases the last step into the trailer distance....and even though she is doing great....you add in 70 years for both of us....and I think regular steps keep us from having other problems.

But going back to the "playing" I did. Using a level even at the other stops I could not get them perfectly level. And....since it is drizzling outside I was not willing to move the feet up or down. So I need to retract my statement about not being able to get them level. My guess if I fiddled with the feet and the stops I would find a level spot. Just not willing to do it with the above situation.

Thanks Dan....for straightening me out.

It also has to do with how far out you pull the steps. I've noticed that pulling them out farther can cause the top steps to be unlevel. It can take some trial and error to get them just right, it just depends on the terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk