What are you guys doing for a bunk bed rail?

bgscott

Its strange that RV manufactures don't put some kind of safety rail on bunk beds. My son is 5 and I am currently scared to let him sleep on our 2998's top bunk because it looks so easy to roll off of. Has anyone found a mod that works for the top bed? I was going to build a rail but realized the bunk would not fold up correctly if I did this..

thanks

frumbawa

I took a couple of angle brackets, 8" if I remember right and screwed them to the plaform underneath the mattress and then stretched a 1x4 across the front. It's nice and sturdy and just high enough that when my daughter rolls, she bumps into it but not so high, its hard to get in and out of the bunk. Also if I want to remove it, the screw holes are in the decking under the mattress and not in the visible trim work across the front.

BTW - with this setup I can still fold up my top bunk with about an inch to spare.

Good luck with whatever you come up with.

Frank

Last edited:

red4re

We use one of those adjustable shower curtain rods. Just screw it out until it is tight. Works great for us. We have the 3300 BHS.

red

SmokeyBare

I guess Velcro PJ's would be a little too extreme...

What about some of that elastic cord material... and a few well placed eye bolts to thread the material through? Kind of like building a Cargo Net for Cookie Crunchers...

Marv

irvin56

We use bed rail

We have one from when children were younger and used on house bed. Like the ones on the link. We use it for the trailer now. plastic, light and folds flat for storage

couch

in our 31 qbs, i will take the kitchen table cushions and wedge them between the mattress and the wood frame, haven't lost kid yet!