Rear Coach Office Desk

AlwaysOnLiberty

Has anyone installed an office desk or built something similar that's the whole width or close to in the rear of the coach (NOT in a slide). We have the '16 Ashland.

I don't need fancy but would like a two-person desk with a small cabinet to store printer and small office supplies in underneath.

Photos please? Need ideas.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check at IKEA if you pass one in your travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika has done it but hers was in a slide and you mentioned not in a slide. She did get her pieces at IKEA though I believe

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think MCTalley and VKTalley (Malcolm and Valerie) did that in the end cap of their Big Country.

And yes, IKEA is a good source to "build" what might work for your space. I bought a drawer unit, table top and 2 legs at the store in Frisco.

4232a74e0b77c82d1ac9d0be337c99cb.jpg

Garypowell

We have put a desk in our rig but in slide. Small b'fast nook table with drop leaf on one side. Bolted it to the floor and good to go. It is really a matter of shopping till you find what will fit. If not IKEA or on line your best bet is small mom and pop furniture stores.

For you there are two options.

1. Buy a ready made desk and tie it to the floor like Erika did.

2. For all of our employees desks we would buy two file cabinets (2 drawer kind from big box store.....and made from wood) and then a piece of Formica (usually custom made to fit in corner 6' by 8') and set its ends on the file cabinets with a few angle brackets along the rest of the back edge to hold it up.

For you they have straight kitchen types you could cut to size or make your own as they usually have sheets you can glue down and MDF for backing.

You can use file cabinet idea or buy wood spindles at big box and cut them to size for legs. Then buy separate file cabinet to put underneith to divide space.

MCTalley

We replaced our couch with desks some time back. But we used two desks, side by side. That arrangement has since morphed to something completely different now, however, so I don't have any pictures available of what we had. We measured the width of the space and found a desk that was just under half that width and bought two of them.

One lesson learned from our two-desk installation - make sure that the desk chairs can be pushed under the desk for travel (we have opposing slides just forward of the desk area). We ended up having to replace one desk chair for one without arms and get creative when stowing the other for travel.

TravelTiger

I found a pic of the Talley's desks I saved from their blog:

76f0959a60c19e45476d5627b684d46b.jpg

Note, these chairs didn't travel well as Malcolm said.

VKTalley

Like Malcom said, that area has morphed into my sewing area with a rolling sewing table that stores my machine. I'll get some pictures of that area tomorrow.

'Lil Guy'

Dave Seabolt did a great job on his conversion. One piece desk he modified. Looks custom built for his RV. Maybe he could post a pic. Really looks nice.

VKTalley

Like Malcom said, that area has morphed into my sewing area with a rolling sewing table that stores my machine. I'll get some pictures of that area tomorrow.

Picture, as promised...excuse the mess as I have been working on projects.
IMG_1581.jpg

AlwaysOnLiberty

I've not been ignoring you all. THANK YOU for all the ideas.

We are looking more into a Printer's Table instead of an actual desk; that way if we have company, we can pull it out if we need to. Plus, occasionally, we enjoy building jigsaw puzzles and this would be perfect. I don't need 'storage'; just a large enough smooth surface but is stylish that goes with our Landmark interior. After researching, we found a good quality one from Pottery Barn. IKEA really isn't my forte' (no offense, but after having it move around with us during our military tenure, I'm SO over IKEA furniture LOL)

Pottery Barn Printer's Table

TravelTiger

I've not been ignoring you all. THANK YOU for all the ideas.

We are looking more into a Printer's Table instead of an actual desk; that way if we have company, we can pull it out if we need to. Plus, occasionally, we enjoy building jigsaw puzzles and this would be perfect. I don't need 'storage'; just a large enough smooth surface but is stylish that goes with our Landmark interior. After researching, we found a good quality one from Pottery Barn. IKEA really isn't my forte' (no offense, but after having it move around with us during our military tenure, I'm SO over IKEA furniture LOL)

Pottery Barn Printer's Table

Nice choice! Can't wait to see it "in action".

Stoker

Just completed adding a two part table across the rear of my 2016 Key West. Constructed two 27" by 39" table tops and mounted them on a vertical 5/4 X 8" wall stiffener screwed to the back wall under the rear window. I support these tables with three marine grade stainless steel brackets so that they can be locked into the horizontal position...or, folded down into the space saving vertical position. Threw away the fold out sofa and purchased two comfortable chairs that can be use with the table or, reversed for comfortable sitting for ourselves or guests. Everything folds down and moves into the clear rear area so that the slides can come in. Will send photos if anyone is interested.

Stoker

TravelTiger

Just completed adding a two part table across the rear of my 2016 Key West. Constructed two 27" by 39" table tops and mounted them on a vertical 5/4 X 8" wall stiffener screwed to the back wall under the rear window. I support these tables with three marine grade stainless steel brackets so that they can be locked into the horizontal position...or, folded down into the space saving vertical position. Threw away the fold out sofa and purchased two comfortable chairs that can be use with the table or, reversed for comfortable sitting for ourselves or guests. Everything folds down and moves into the clear rear area so that the slides can come in. Will send photos if anyone is interested.

Stoker

How cool, I'd love to see it!

Erika