Thread: Swapped out the mattress.

1. Print this Post   #1

Swapped out the mattress.

In the 427 if you have the RV king bed you have zero room on the camping side. That's my wife's side. So after sleeping on that so-called mattress we decided to swap it out with a 12 inch high memory foam. At the same time we figured go with a residential queen and then modify the bed pedestal and cut the extra off on her side to add leg room. All done this evening. Came out great and the wife can now walk around on her side of the bed. Also much easier to make the bed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doc
    2016 Days camped 28

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Swapped out the mattress.

Good job and the wife is happy.
    Don
    08 Ford F350 SRW
    13 Big Horn 3055RL
    1 wife 1 dog and me

3. Print this Post   #3

We did the same thing with our 2016 3760El even before we left the dealership. They changed out our king for our new queen for us. Best move we made. Also had them swap out our theater seating for two rocket swivel recliners that matched our leather sofa. Great dealership in Oregon.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

4. Print this Post   #4

We are not very happy with our rv king mattress as well. I like what you did. We were considering giving each side an additional 6" of room. Now we will look at where we want to allocate the 12" of walk space. Thanks for the post.
    Mitch & Shirley Beyer

Home Base: Summer: Copenhagen, NY
    Winter: Laceys Spring, AL
    RV: 2017 5th Wheel; Heartland, Landmark, Newport
    Truck: 2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Heavy-Duty
    Email: LOJ.5thers@gmail.com
    LOJ: Lion-of-Judah

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by mstar_travler View Post
    We are not very happy with our rv king mattress as well. I like what you did. We were considering giving each side an additional 6" of room. Now we will look at where we want to allocate the 12" of walk space. Thanks for the post.

We had to use the RV during the hurricane and just had another camping trip this past weekend. We are SOO happy with the new memory foam gel top res queen over that piece of garbage RV king that was in it before. She has more room and it is much easier to make the **** bed as well.
    Doc
    2016 Days camped 28

6. Print this Post   #6

We looked at all options and settled on the Dynasty RV King gel/memory foam. We are little people and don't need either the width of an RV King or the extra walk space if we had gone to a queen. But we decided the mods to the frame were too much to tackle for extra walk room and an easier to make bed. The Dynasty fits much tighter than the factory mattress so it is more difficult to make up and even tighter to walk around. However, we love the very firm mattress, it has no smell as some do and at $466 including shipping we considered it a good buy.

7. Print this Post   #7

We also swapped out the awful King mattress ours came with to a residential Queen 13" memory foam and cut down the base to match. Much more comfortable and the extra room on the sides of the bed is awesome.
    2015 Gateway 3650BH
    2013 Heartland Pioneer DS31 (sold)
    2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
    2005 F250 CC 6.0 FX4
    1977 Bronco

8. Print this Post   #8

We are undecided at this time since we are new to this camper (LM 365 Charleston). We had a residential King in our last camper and it fit great with room on each side. With 2 dogs who like to "hog" the bed at night we thought we would transfer the king platform / mattress to the new camper since it came with the queen.
    Well, as of now we have a very very tight area in the bedroom. We are going to make a decision over the winter on what to do. If we go with a RV King we will only gain 4" total width = not much. If we go with a queen we gain walking room around the bed and ease ability to make the bed but may be a little tight in the bed for all four of us. The dogs are 18-20 lbs. each and I know I know - we should kick them out of the bed but tell them that.
    We have a few things to look at but will make that call by next spring. I like the idea of putting linoleum on the pedestal for ease of sliding the mattress back and forth so we may go that route.
    Mark & Roberta Pearson
    Lexington, Ky.
    2 small hellions / Teddy and Jasper

2017 LM 365 Charleston - purchased 8/19/17
    Black / Silver
    13th year of camping

2015 Ram - Black Crew Cab long bed Dually
    3.42 gears
    50 gallon external tank - gravity fed w/solenoid
    Andersen Gooseneck hitch

Not full time yet but we are getting closer