Thread: Bunk ladder

1. Print this Post   #1

Bunk ladder

What have others done to replace their bunk ladder with an aftermarket ladder? The one that came with the Cyclone is not foot friendly, unless you are wearing shoes. With two little ones it seems we are always climbing up there. If the rungs were flat it would eliminate the pain.

2009 Cyclone 3912
    2003 F350 7.3L SRW CC Fx4 auto
    2008 6.7L CTD DRW QC 4x4 6 speed auto

2. Print this Post   #2

Do a search. We used pipe insulation on the rungs. Works great.

Doug, Deb & Kids
    2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2008 4012 Cyclone Full Throttle
    3 Yamaha Banshees
    2 Honda 400EXs
    1 Honda 250EX
    15 Polaris 900 S RZR Voodoo Blue
    15 Polaris 900 S RRZ Titanium Matte
    Polaris Outlaw 50

3. Print this Post   #3

My buddy Steve has an older SOB TT, he has his wife sleep on the top bunk...........
    Suzin & Roger
    2006 BH 3600RL #2825 w/options
    2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison

4. Print this Post   #4
    2008 F450 King Ranch

Agree 100% that the stock ladder is painful for anyone to use, especially in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom!

After extensive on-line searches for a better made replacement ladder, i came to the conclusion that one didn't exist. The one provided by Heartland seems to be the industry standard, unless you want to switch to some type of step stool version with wider steps, but then it is in the way when opened.

For now, we are using an inexpensive pool "noodle float" with the hollow middle. They come in your choice of colors and are much thicker than the pipe insulation, plus they are usually less expensive.

We cut off a slice of the "noodle" just a bit longer than the ladder step is wide in order to have pressure to keep it from moving. We used the large "noodle" as it had a larger diameter hole in the middle so it fits the rectangle steps better on the ladder we have. Then we also secured each end with duct tape to prevent the "noodle' from moving when used. It has worked very well so far, the material gets compressed some but is still much more comfortable than the bare metal.

I have an idea for a permanent installed ladder that will fit when the slide is closed and not cause any issues. It will have a frame to store in so the ladder part can be slid out and locked in place when the steps are needed so you will no longer have to store the ladder on the bunk or the cargo area, it will always be available. A decision I need to make is whether to modify an existing commercially available ladder or build a custom one. If I solve it soon, I will post the pictures and description, still weighing the options.

Best of luck
    Keith
    Keith
    2007 Cyclone, 3795
    2008 F450

5. Print this Post   #5

THANKS!

I will be watching for an update. I put the 1" pipe insulation on for our last trip and it was an improvement... but after minimal use it's already starting to split. I was leaning towards a full custom built solution and am ALWAYS willing to learn from the experience of others.

btw - on our 2009 the ladder is integrated into the wall without needing to stow, but it's still got round (painful) rungs.
    Dave Lindemulder
    2001 Volvo 660 2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
    2009 Heartland Cyclone 3210

6. Print this Post   #6

It does take a little time, but I bolted thru the rungs to add boards for a much better feel on the feet. I added alum. channel to the sides to add strength. You also need to drill a larger size hole on the underside of the rung for a metal tubing sleave to keep the rung from colapseing when you tighten the carrage bolts. I used nylock nuts so they don't back off by them selves.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom & Cheryl
    West Bend,Wisconsin
    '06 Dodge 3500 DW,Cummins 5.9 TD
    '08 Cyclone 4012
    '01 Ultra, '03 Heritage

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by tlighthart View Post
    It does take a little time, but I bolted thru the rungs to add boards for a much better feel on the feet. I added alum. channel to the sides to add strength. You also need to drill a larger size hole on the underside of the rung for a metal tubing sleave to keep the rung from colapseing when you tighten the carrage bolts. I used nylock nuts so they don't back off by them selves.

Nice job that appears to be the way to go.

Greg
    Greg and Shelly
    2008 BH 3400RL
    2002 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3 Diesel 4wd Srw
    Heartland owners club Member #1036

8. Print this Post   #8

haven't heard the kids complain yet about the rungs and I don't go up that often but will keep these suggestions in mind.
    Lori & Brent, Reesa (12) and Mike (7) and Purdy the escape cat
    Heartland Owners Club Member #1051
    1996 Ford F-350 Dually - may "Big Red" Rest In Peace
    2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty - new to us 10/03/10
    2009 Cyclone 3210 LE
    2003 Volvo XC90
    2008 Cooler Scooter http://www.coolerscooter.com/cooler.htm
    2008 90cc ATV (pink camoflage)
    2009 250cc ATV (the red rocket)
    2000 Glastron sx 175 bowrider

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by tlighthart View Post
    That's exactly what I've planned on doing for a year now. Just haven't got around to it yet. Awesome job! Glad someone had the same idea I did and it worked. I was worried about adding more weight to an already heavy ladder....
    Rick & Stacy with 2 great little girls Allie(9) Lainey(2)
    "06 CTD Dually, Laramie, 4X4, 6sp Manual, Jake, Juice/Attitude, B&W Turn-over Ball/Companion, Firestone Ride Rite/compressor & Prodigy

"08 Cyclone 4012 #7800 1st one Factory Ordered w/ 6k axles, 110psi wheels & GY G614's