Washing Exterior Without a Water Source

I am unable to wash my trailer at my residence due to not being able to turn around on my street. So either I have to take it somewhere to have it washed or wash it on the storage lot. I have washed it on the lot myself using gallon jugs of water but this is labor intensive to say the least. My idea is to purchase a 45 gallon tank of the type used by ranchers to water horses at shows and an rv type of demand pump (12v) to pump it. The tank should fit in my truck bed. I know this is not enough water to wash a 32' trailer but should be fewer trips to get water than using jugs. So, do you have any suggestions as to a better method? The nearest truck wash is 40 miles away.

Thanks for any help, Ray

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I fill the onboard fresh water tank. (about 60 gallons) Use the 12 volt water pump to wash our Elkridge (41'7") all the time. Can get around 2 washes out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI.....2 washes not including the roof.

Lynn1130

I have been testing the Aero product for a few months now and have been impressed with the shine the system gives the vehicles. Whether it will last as long as it says remains to be seen but one thing I have to comment on is the "waterless" claims. Applying with no water always makes me nervous as to the long term damage to the vehicle finish. Unseen road grit and grime becomes much like sandpaper when rubbed with a cloth and a little of whatever product you are using. There is not enough "product" to float the grit off without creating small scratches which, over time, dull the finish. In the case of Aero it is not truly waterless as it says to use it with a damp cloth. You still need water to wet and clean the cloth as you apply. It says that the water is not necessary if the vehicle is lightly dirty. Then comes the scratches.

So, I am still inclined to wash before applying what ever product just because I am that particular about the finish on my vehicles.

I fill the onboard fresh water tank. (about 60 gallons) Use the 12 volt water pump to wash our Elkridge (41'7") all the time. Can get around 2 washes out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the roof is the problem. Lugging water up a ladder to wash and rinse the roof is impractical. I thought of using the onboard tank but I would have to fill it before leaving a campground or haul water to it. Did you add a hose connection to your plumbing system?

- - - Updated - - -

Bought one of these kits at the national rally in Goshen this summer and it works great.

Amazon Link
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that this approach would be good for the sidewalls but not the roof what with all that accumulated dirt up there. I might get this kit for a quick clean up on the road or when doing the roof is not necessary.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Yeah, the roof is the problem. Lugging water up a ladder to wash and rinse the roof is impractical. I thought of using the onboard tank but I would have to fill it before leaving a campground or haul water to it. Did you add a hose connection to your plumbing system?

We have 2 hose quick connects located at the outside kitchen and in the UDC. Works great. Hook up a 50' hose and can reach the entire trailer. Could easily do the roof and trailer on one tank.

dave10a

- - - Updated - - -

X2 plus I also use the small electric 1600 1.5gal/min high pressure sprayer to apply soap and rinse off the soap after hand scrubbing. My water tank holds 100 gallons according to Heartland and I never have run out of water even when I clean the roof....

uncledon

Her chauffeur
This is my alternative to conventional water based washes. A can will do my 40' fiver a couple of times and waxes to boot. You do need to make sure the heavy grime is off, but it removes bug splatter, etc. and works equally well on glass and windshields too. I ordered a case of (12) cans a couple of years ago and am down to my last (2).

http://www.fw1shine.com/

20170905_195517.jpg20170905_195533.jpg

rxbristol

I did not buy the kit, but I use the Wash & Wax with microfiber towels. Once you use this product, you'll never use water to wash your truck or RV again unless it's just plain muddy.