Bedroom wooden valance removal

Greggshere

As most of you have seen or read in my other posts, we have Levalor shades in the front of the Terry. They work very nice and look great. We want to put some matching ones on the two bedroom windows to replace the shades that are there. They never work worth a darn and one of the cord screws already pulled out. I need to remove the wooden valances and figure out a way to mount the Levalor's in them and hang them back up securely. Does anyone have a clue as to how the factory mounted them? I don't really see anything and they seem pretty secure on the wall. I don't want to tear anything up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As most of you have seen or read in my other posts, we have Levalor shades in the front of the Terry. They work very nice and look great. We want to put some matching ones on the two bedroom windows to replace the shades that are there. They never work worth a darn and one of the cord screws already pulled out. I need to remove the wooden valances and figure out a way to mount the Levalor's in them and hang them back up securely. Does anyone have a clue as to how the factory mounted them? I don't really see anything and they seem pretty secure on the wall. I don't want to tear anything up.

I replaced almost all of the old Day/Night shades in our BH with Levelor verticals. Is that what you're doing? To remove the valances, feel around the inside edges under the fabric cover for the screws. A magnet tool might help locate them. To mount the vertical headers, I salvaged the fabric from the flimsy OEM valances and built new ones a bit deeper so the blinds could rotate. I used 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood for most of it and attached the fabric to it. For the ones under cabinets, I was able to screw the new valances to framing in the cabinet bottom. Others were hung using metal brackets.

I did not build new side valances, nor did I remount the old ones. Some of that fabric was incorporated in the new top valances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greggshere

I replaced almost all of the old Day/Night shades in our BH with Levelor verticals. Is that what you're doing? To remove the valances, feel around the inside edges under the fabric cover for the screws. A magnet tool might help locate them. To mount the vertical headers, I salvaged the fabric from the flimsy OEM valances and built new ones a bit deeper so the blinds could rotate. I used 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood for most of it and attached the fabric to it. For the ones under cabinets, I was able to screw the new valances to framing in the cabinet bottom. Others were hung using metal brackets. I did not build new side valances, nor did I remount the old ones. Some of that fabric was incorporated in the new top valances.

Thanks John, unfortunately my valances are wooden and I can't see how they are attached. I really like the valance and want to reuse them, just not the shades. We have the no-string horizontal shades up front and want to do the same in the bedroom and most likely on the kitchen window later, although that one is a plastic mini-blind and we may leave it alone since it's by the sink and water.The first picture shows the new Levalors on the front big window and the second picture shows a valance that I want to fit the same type of Levalors in. Sorry for the sideways pictures.
IMG_0798.jpgIMG_0932.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Those are different. You might try sliding a thin putty knife blade between the wall and valance to find the screws. Possible that they're hidden by the blind header. Can you remove the blinds from the valance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk