Looking at a M32 for full time living for work

Danruff93

I'm looking at buying a m32 to live in while I travel for work. I travel all over North Carolina and surrounding states.

I have a couple questions that I can think of right now

how do these campers hold up to living in year round?
should it be okay with the sealed underbelly during winter
is the artic package worth the extra money

danemayer

Hi DanRuff93,

I'm sure there are some number of people using Mallard trailers or their counterparts on a full-time basis. However, you may find that some of the furniture and fixtures were selected based on the expectation of using the trailer for a couple of weeks of summer vacation and some weekend trips, which is what most people do. In other words, full-time use might cause accelerated wear and tear on cushions, chairs, and other items.

As for winter use, you might need to verify whether the Arctic Package is even available on Mallards. Alsio, recognize that the M32 comes with 20 lb. propane tanks, which will have to be frequently refilled as you use the furnace.

You should also check to see if the M32 has 50 amp electric service. In cold weather, in addition to running the furnace (which is necessary to heat the plumbing in the underbelly) you may want to also use ceramic disc electric heat. But if the trailer has 30 amp electric service, you'll find that possible, but challenging.

In general, as you move up the product line, you'll get insulation with higher R-values, which often relate to comfort in cold weather, and to how much propane you use.

If you will be camping in weather much below freezing, you'll find that heating pads on the holding tanks are pretty high priority. You might want to take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. It'll give you an idea of what's necessary to keep water running in sub-freezing weather.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't mean to disappoint you, but Heartland abdvertises their top 3 largest and most appointed 5th wheels as warranted for fulltime living. The rest do not get that distinction. Not to say people are not living in other units, it can be done. But it will require a lot of effort on your part to keep the unit comfortable and water flowing. My next door neighbor at our rv park is in. Stick and tin unit and skirts the unit (a wildwood x-lite) with plywood. She has 4 20# propane tanks she constantly swaps out. She works fulltime, so somehow she makes it work for her here in central Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopperno1

I'm looking at buying a m32 to live in while I travel for work. I travel all over North Carolina and surrounding states.

I have a couple questions that I can think of right now

how do these campers hold up to living in year round?
should it be okay with the sealed underbelly during winter
is the artic package worth the extra money

As far as cold weather I have had terrible experience with my m32. The furnace vent in the bunk house blows cold air only I do not care how long you run the furnace. Our last experience was in March in Beach mountain North Carolina all pipes froze even with constant furnace use. Our exterior heated hose "camco" was the only thing that did not freeze.

Danruff93

As far as cold weather I have had terrible experience with my m32. The furnace vent in the bunk house blows cold air only I do not care how long you run the furnace. Our last experience was in March in Beach mountain North Carolina all pipes froze even with constant furnace use. Our exterior heated hose "camco" was the only thing that did not freeze.

Is yours a newer one?? And does it have the artic package

so I might just need to keep a space heater in the back

Chopperno1

Is yours a newer one?? And does it have the artic package

so I might just need to keep a space heater in the back

It is a 2017. It does not have the artic package. We did use a space heater in bunkhouse for the kids and that helped keep them from freezing with the plumbing.