Future new Bighorn owner - PDI this Saturday

MWG

My PDI is next Saturday on a 2018 BH3575EL. I have a 4-5 hour drive to the dealer, so its going be a long day. Unfortunately I'll be performing the PDI myself since my wife is out of town for a few days. I have to take my dogs so I plan on dropping them off at the hotel so I can have the whole day for the PDI. (got to love our pets.)

I've downloaded Jim Tanner's PDI and plan on spending this coming week reviewing it and everything I can on the Heartland forum. This is our second 5th wheel but our first new unit. I grew up around campers, motor homes and road buses. I've helped convert a few buses including Prevost's, so I know my way around the interior side of conversions. And by profession, I've fabricated, installed and ran business jet interior shops. So, in short, interiors wont be my main concern it's systems.

My question is, with the short amount of time I can dedicate next Saturday, what has been everyone's main concerns and or problems when conducting your PDI?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start reading the forum and Jim Tanner's PDI checklist.

Thanks in advance,
M

jimtoo

Hi MWG,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Oregon_Camper

I've been thinking of adding the following to the PDI (btw...glad you like it)

If you can ask the dealer to take down the basement wall, that would be a HUGE help. Then they can show you the converter...back of hot water tank and other wiring/plumbing back there. Take some time to inspect the converter for tight connections and all 3 fuses are good. Then ask them to zip tie the converters power cord in place (is it 20amp...so plug/socket will look different). I had mine come unplug and so have a few others...HUGE PITA to fix if you're out camping.

Have someone open/close slides, while you lay under them. Pay close attention to gears for any slips or grinding.

Have dealer redo the zero point level for the hydraulics. Even if they say they have done it...have them to it again, so you understand the process.

IMHO....If the dealer gives you any sewer hose (as a "starter package"), if it is not a Rhino Sewer hose...leave it there. If you go back to my blog you will see a list of "must have" and "should have" items. Hopefully you can find some value with those recommendations.

One last piece of advise....ask a neighbor, co-worker, etc... to come with you. You need someone there that is not vested (ie...in love with) the RV and can look at it with an unbiased view. They might find things that you overlook, as you're basking in the fact you have a SWEEEEET RV!!!

Kbvols

Take a look at Oregon_Campers PDI it is very well done and an excellent tool. Try to find someone to go with you. My wife and I did the PDI. She pretty much took control of the inside and I the outside. We spent 6 hours with a dedicated technician addressing any issue we found. Most were minor but nevertheless glad they fixed.

BTW we bought same model as you and so far we love it! Hope all goes great with your PDI and new RV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

No matter how good an inspection you do, you may still find things over the first couple of days of use. If at all possible, stay at or near the dealer for a couple of nights. Get a commitment from the service manager that if you find anything you can have it worked on while you wait, rather than dropping it off.

BusManRG

Use your camera AND take notes. We relied on the dealership photos. They were taking pics of everything we all pointed out and then surprise, surprise all of those photos disappeared and the shop did not receive any of them. Lots of notes and be picky! As was mentioned earlier, when we took down the walls of the basement to install our surge protector we double checked all of the fittings and most of them were loose. An easy fix but they were hidden behind the walls. Take out and I unwrap your extra chairs that are stored under the bed. Ours ended up being junk and they had to order and replace both chairs. Of course we didn't realize that until we were home and unwrapped them. At the dealership we just confirmed that yes there were two chairs under the bed.

Sandy

SNOKING

Take blue tape to mark areas that need attention. Look over the exterior very carefully. Chris

MWG

Well, we had our new BH 3575EL delivered after final inspection and all issues were worked. The whole process went smoothly.... But, when they delivered the unit to us we noticed the following issues.

1. Someone had slightly damaged the utility bay door and trim. They ordered a new door and trim.
2. The battery was dead on arrival. No answer why - I'm not sure if the battery disconnect was on when he delivered or not.
3. Slide-outs opened a few inches when the delivery driver put down the front landing gear. and opened approximately 12" when we were leveling the rig. The service rep told me I need to adjust hydraulic system and they can walk me through it. I said no and they need to come and fix it.
4. Furrion oven door was hanging on by one hinge.

It's been one month and it's been like having my wisdom teeth pulled in the back seat of a car trying to get these issues resolved. I get one reason or an other from the service rep or just he will not return our calls or answer emails. I'm giving them one more week and them I guess I will contact Heartland. I don't think it is a dealer issue in general but more of a service rep and his boss issue....

Fun times,,,,

MWG

Seems like small stuff except for the slides. They opened on their own 12”?

Yes, they opened on their own while we were auto leveling the rig. The service rep told me they could walk me through adjusting them but I don't want the liability if the open under tow.

I agree, the others are easy fixes.

danemayer

Yes, they opened on their own while we were auto leveling the rig. The service rep told me they could walk me through adjusting them but I don't want the liability if the open under tow.

I agree, the others are easy fixes.
It's not an adjustment on the slides. Likely a valve is partially open or has air in the system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk