Nice workmanship...really nice!

truckmen

...are you kidding???

Yes, I'll probable make some enemies with this post so whatever and probably get banned from here as well.

We've had our Heartland Big Country since it was purchased brand new and little by little, I am reversing the shoddy workmanship that was done by those wonderful **** at the factory at Heartland. I am not only ****** at the factory but also at the dealership in Crestview, Florida (but that is another rant and post).

My wife and I took the factory tour, by the way and we were, and still are impressed with the good quality build of the frame and laminated wall panels. That I don't think I can complain about. These frames are quite stout and Heartland deserves kudos for that part, but I sure would like to have met some of those idiot who did the assembly, wiring, plumbing and other installations of the various components.

By the way, before you go running out and buying a different RV from and competitor, you may as well save yourself the time and aggravation as they are ALL this bad.

This is a 2015 Heartland Big Country 3900FLP.
These images are of the area under the galley sink and encompasses plumbing, wiring - both 110 and 12-Volt and, ducting for the hot-air furnace among other miscellaneous items.

The reason I am posting this is to point out the electrocution hazard of 110-Volt circuits and components to members doing their own work and saving money from the overly-expensive dealerships and other repair shops.
The 110-Volt systems should be raised and mounted off of the deck so that possible and for that matter, inevitable water leaks do not come into contact with the power. Here there is a junction box mounted to the deck where if there is a leak will get flooded. I've already re-positioned the 12-Volt converter under the step and off the deck for the same reason. I'll get images of that small mod at a later date.

Nice wiring job! Really?? This is a rat's nest
20170914_162202.jpg

Another view of this, this ... whatever you want to call it...
20170914_162209.jpg

Water leak from the line to the residential fridge because of a faulty connection at a shut-off valve. saturated the furnace ducting. Oh, by the way, the ducting is pinched under the water tank. Nice planning there. This ducting could and should have been routed around the tank.
20170914_145028.jpg

There the leak comes from the upper deck located in the galley, runs down and puddles on the upper deck (floor), then down to the tank, from there, collects on the plastic corrugated under-belly sheathing. It almost flooded the front "basement" storage compartment as well.
20170914_145034.jpg

avvidclif

Re: Nice workmanship by the Amish...really nice!

Do you really think you are going to get much argument out of this bunch? Or at least the ones who have had to dig into the innards for one reason or another.

danemayer

The reason I am posting this is to point out the electrocution hazard of 110-Volt circuits and components to members doing their own work

Since this is the reason for your post, could you elaborate on exactly where you see an electrocution hazard?

olcoon

Ain't no expert, but personally I feel that, (from what I understand & has been explained to me) industry wide RV manufacturers pay their plant employees by how many rigs go off the line a day. Lets say that on Monday the big boss decides they need to get 10 rigs out per day that week. So when the 10 rigs are out the door they get to go home makes no difference if it's noon or midnight. We also have taken several factory tours, most of them on a Saturday at the national rally. However our first tour was to see our rig on the line being built, on a working day. I was amazed at what I saw. The employees were running (really running) from point A to B to get their tasks done. We saw NOBODY talking or goofing off with the person next to them. It seemed like there was a time crunch, or someone was standing over them with a whip to make sure they were working. This causes an employee to take short cuts, and do shoddy work. Quality doesn't come from rushing around, it comes from having the time to get the job done, and done correctly.

Another thing I think an issue is, is that the quality of employees out there these days. At the last 2 national rallies we've attended (2015 & 17), all over Goshen & Elkhart there were help wanted signs everywhere we looked. I'm thinking they can't get good employees who are willing to work. The days of "a day's work for a day's pay" are over. Now it's "why should I work for a living when I can sit on my butt & the government will support me".

B

BouseBill

"why should I work for a living when I can sit on my butt & the government will support me".[/QUOTE]

Never a truer line written!

Buster537

I have lived in the Crestview area all my life, so far. Did not know there was a Heartland dealer there. You are probably referring to Dixie RV at Mossy Head, they say they are at DeFuniak. If you are looking for relief from them, it will come quicker by taking a double dose of ExLax. :rolleyes: