Outside control panel access

wittmeba

Hello,

Im not a Heartland owner yet, but I think this weekend (8/23/08) we are going to visit a dealer.

I have a question about the access panel to the water and electric controls.

In the Bighorn video: The control access door is shared with a very large storage compartment door. Would it make sense to split this door (the right way by design) and have a smaller separate door for the controls? I love the centralized controls - thats awesome.

It just seems that having to open this larger door for the small section on the right is impractical. Why expose all your stored stuff to drain a tank or plug in the pedestal?

I realize it might make repairs and troubleshooting more accessible. But it could have a separate door on the outside and still share the access and space inside - it doesnt look useable for storage as is so I dont think you would lose anything. Make sense? Maybe a 'door within a door' - the right end is 12" wide then a hinge once open you can access a handle and open the larger side.

I do like the fact that it hinges on the left rather than the top.

It seems that whenever I open a large door like that, the wind blows everything in it - sometimes out of it.

Im just hoping that when we are ready to buy, my 'Perfect' rig is sitting there waiting for me. You know the one...the one that rolls out in front of you and yells...'Here I am'!

Thanks all.
Bruce

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
When I am at the docking station when setting up or taking down, I also need things that are right there in the storage (electrical cord, sometimes a50-30 amp adapter, sewer hose that I carry in a 5 gallon plastic pail with lid, water hose and quick release attachments).

For long-term usage, when I need to use the black tank flusher, then I don't need the storage area.

In my opinion, I like the large all-inclusive door, only on my unit, it opens up and not to the side.

I agree with cdbMidland. During set up we need stuff from the storage are ie: hose, water filter etc. so it helps that it is right there next to it. You would have to open that area anyway. But what I would like is some sort of catch to help keep the door open while working in that area. The wind does have a tendency to keep closing it. Ours can't open up because we have our bedroom slide there. Hope this helps. We have a BigHorn 3670 RL

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I bought a spring latch like the one that holds open the door under the front of the RV (right behind the Pin). I painted it to match and then screwed it into the side of the RV. It holds my door with no problem. Although the door is hinged on the side and is separate from the compartment door.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have an '08 Bighorn and I really like the large door at the docking station and the access to the basement storage. I carry my sewer stuff there, the shore cord, a bucket, rubber gloves and sanitary hand wipes. They are all right where I will be needing them when I need them. To me, for this reason, it is one of the better ideas that Heartland has come up with. My potable water supplies are carried inside the door side basement storage for safety reasons.

Delaine and Lindy

wittmeba, I agree the Landmark was the first 5er we owned that didn't have a seperate docking station. And it takes a lot of storage space out of your basement. That was a thing that I would have changed if I could. Oh well some things are different. GBY...

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Jim,
After 32 days on the road and 10 states later, I totally think what u did with your side storage compartment was awesome to put on a spring latch. When the wind was blowing and I was messing around with the docking station, or just getting stuff out of the storage compartment, the door continually went swinging open. I was just asking the warranty repair shop today for some kind of a fix, and it sounds like u have the easiest solution. Thanks alot, as my head still hurts from hitting the corner of the bedroom slide chasing that wild swinging door.

wittmeba

Thanks for the comments. Those are all good points. I guess thats why I suggested perhaps a split door so all your sewer hookup equipment is there, but when doing other things like draining, access thru a smaller door might be handy. With our rig, everything is behind its own individual door - Electric, water, cable, storage, etc.

Jim, Id like to see a picture of your spring loaded hinge - how and where you used it. I will still install my own magnetic door stops to hold all my compartment access doors because they work. I just havent found a local store yet that carries them. Ordering online gets expensive. I do believe WWGrainger carries them...just havent been there yet.

Mariposa

hurt head?

Larryheadhunters
I hit my head 3 or 4 time each time setting up or taking down. I now use some of the swimming tube noodles on the corners. If I don't install them it won't be long before something happens. A hard hat was out of the question. Wife knew how hard headed I was and thought I would learn after a couple of times. After a strong wind in Sacto one of them disappeared? They aren't too costly
Bob

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim,
After 32 days on the road and 10 states later, I totally think what u did with your side storage compartment was awesome to put on a spring latch. When the wind was blowing and I was messing around with the docking station, or just getting stuff out of the storage compartment, the door continually went swinging open. I was just asking the warranty repair shop today for some kind of a fix, and it sounds like u have the easiest solution. Thanks alot, as my head still hurts from hitting the corner of the bedroom slide chasing that wild swinging door.

I wanted to attached some photos of the spring latch and how it works. Thanks Jim B. for telling me how....

Attachments

• DSC02537.jpg
    DSC02537.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC02538.jpg
    DSC02538.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC02540.jpg
    DSC02540.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 32
Larryheadhunters
I hit my head 3 or 4 time each time setting up or taking down. I now use some of the swimming tube noodles on the corners. If I don't install them it won't be long before something happens. A hard hat was out of the question. Wife knew how hard headed I was and thought I would learn after a couple of times. After a strong wind in Sacto one of them disappeared? They aren't too costly
Bob
We use these swim noodles also. Very cheap answer to a major headache.:D

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Only problem is remembering to remove them before closing the bedroom slide. I've done that twice, now.

jimtoo

Well,,,, one thing about not removing them before you close the slides, they won't blow off while traveling down that freeway. Been there, done that!