An Axel Question for a North Trail 22RBK

Fixer

I have a 2014 Heartland, North Trail 22RBK TT. I've seen horror stories about the suspension system on many trailers where the equalizer that connects the springs in the center has worn out. I want to put on a "[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Equa-Flex Cushioned Equalizers - Double Eye Springs - Tandem Axle - 5.2K. " The cushioned equalizer is made for 5200# axels and I don't know which axles are on my travel trailer. I couldn't find out from the company and I thought I'd ask that question here. Most trailers have an equalizer that is only about 7" to 8" long but the North Trail equalizer is a bit over 14" in length. Can anyone help?[/FONT]

danemayer

Hi Fixer,

Your axle probably has a label stuck to the outer sleeve that can be viewed by crawling under the trailer. Take a picture with your smartphone so you don't have to write down the information.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That sticker should look like this:

ProwlerFreshDrain-P1000181.jpg

Attachments

• AxelRearDrivSide-IMG_3900.jpg
    AxelRearDrivSide-IMG_3900.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 20

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I installed the equa-flex equalizers on my NT. My trailer has 4.4K axles and used the 5.2K wide equal-flex kit just fine.

Be prepared to replace the bushings in the springs also as the nylon ones could probably worn out like mine were. My trailer is larger is heavier so that could also be why they wore out after only 1.5 years.

The equa-flex will probably raise your RV up a bit also. I replaced the shorter 2.x" shackle links with 3.x" shackle links so mine was only raised about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Using the the shorter links would have raised my RV by 1.5 - 2 inches overall.

EB3

Not sure what your objective is. Beef up the suspension system, or a smoother ride. The wide trac only offers a few options. The equalizers the have rubber pads don't offer much shock absorption. If its the beef up route. Replace all the bushings with Never Fail bushings and let it go at that. For the better ride. I know of one option and may be more than you want to spend. I have NT 30rkdd and this what I did. Install Liberty Rider suspension this does away with the equalizer, separates the axles so that you have independent axles, this uses slipper springs and never fail bushings, it comes as kit. Next I added Joy Rider this adds shock absorbers to the axles to dampen the return of springs. Yes, it was worth to me, picked up a few tenths of a gallon, furniture doesn't need to be tied down, greatly reduced chucking, most importantly tracks perfectly. You can look up Liberty Rider on the internet for videos and information. If you want to talk send me a private message. Good luck

Fixer

To each of you that responded to my inquiry, I thank you so very much. I was looking at two items: 1. I have about 20K miles on my trailer and although the springs and equalizer look OK I can't tell until I get it jacked up and taken apart. I like to do my own work, but our drive way is so steep that I wouldn't dare jack up one side and not expect it to swivel around to one side. I saw the equal-flex equalizer and thought it would be nice to be a bit smoother. But after your comments, I think I will see about replacing the bushings just in case. I didn't know about the tag on the axle and will check it out for the weight the axle is designed for. Again I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.
Gene Sannes

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The equa-flex does offer a smoother ride than stock equalizers. It is not near as costly as other options that are out there that may offer even better results. For the price paid, I am happy with the results of equa-flex.

While you have the wheels off and everything, You might want to take the time to inspect your brakes and lube the hubs as needed too.

Your tow vehicle may need additional attention after smoothing out the ride your your RV. I am now looking at new shocks sometime this winter. The truck ride is getting rougher with or with out trailer in tow.