Generator

Paradise2

We put a 5500 Propane generator in or 2017 3575el only because the dealership wouldn't put in a gas one....our mistake not putting it in ourselves and going gas.

Does anyone have the propane and like it?

danemayer

The Onan propane 5500 is the option available on Landmark 365, Bighorn, and Big Country. It's propane because there's no fuel cell for gas or diesel.

The propane models supply the same power but use slightly more fuel than a gas or diesel model. But on the other hand, they aren't susceptible to the fuel problems that come up frequently on the gas and diesel models. So there's less maintenance.

The big advantage of gas and diesel models comes on toy haulers where 1 or 2 fuel cells are available. 30 or 40 gallons of diesel gives you a lot more run time than the 18 gallons of propane in two 40# propane tanks, or the 14 gallons in two 30# tanks. And it's often easier to get gas or diesel when you need to resupply.

For occasional use, the propane model is probably better. For regular use (boon docking for example), gas or diesel might be preferable.

Paradise2

The Onan propane 5500 is the option available on Landmark 365, Bighorn, and Big Country. It's propane because there's no fuel cell for gas or diesel.

The propane models supply the same power but use slightly more fuel than a gas or diesel model. But on the other hand, they aren't susceptible to the fuel problems that come up frequently on the gas and diesel models. So there's less maintenance.

The big advantage of gas and diesel models comes on toy haulers where 1 or 2 fuel cells are available. 30 or 40 gallons of diesel gives you a lot more run time than the 18 gallons of propane in two 40# propane tanks, or the 14 gallons in two 30# tanks. And it's often easier to get gas or diesel when you need to resupply.

For occasional use, the propane model is probably better. For regular use (boon docking for example), gas or diesel might be preferable.

Thanks! We had gas in our motorhome and really wanted gas - but dealership ship would not put gas in for us...so hubby is wanting to turn the propane into gas by changing out the carburetor and put in a gas tank.

BusManRG

Thanks! We had gas in our motorhome and really wanted gas - but dealership ship would not put gas in for us...so hubby is wanting to turn the propane into gas by changing out the carburetor and put in a gas tank.
Since you already have propane on board for the rig and you have a diesel pick-up, would you now be carrying 3 different fuel types? We have the propane gen so I'm just trying to picture your set up.

Sandy

Paradise2

Since you already have propane on board for the rig and you have a diesel pick-up, would you now be carrying 3 different fuel types? We have the propane gen so I'm just trying to picture your set up.

Sandy

Three types...he will just add another tank - he's very electrical and mechanical inclined...we carry a honda generator to run the majority of the time and we cook outside mostly...we have the two 40# tanks...do you find you go thru a lot of propane in the winter?

We are not in a big hurry to do this...I really wanted to get others thoughts on the with their propane...

BusManRG

Three types...he will just add another tank - he's very electrical and mechanical inclined...we carry a honda generator to run the majority of the time and we cook outside mostly...we have the two 40# tanks...do you find you go thru a lot of propane in the winter?

We are not in a big hurry to do this...I really wanted to get others thoughts on the with their propane...
We don't dry camp that often, so it hasn't been a huge issue. One big reason we wanted it was to run the AC in the summer for the dog when we stopped to sight see, etc. We also had a gas gen in our previous class c and I would have to say it was a bit more fuel efficient. Not sure if its my imagination or not, but I think this propane unit is much quieter.

Sandy

Paradise2

We don't dry camp that often, so it hasn't been a huge issue. One big reason we wanted it was to run the AC in the summer for the dog when we stopped to sight see, etc. We also had a gas gen in our previous class c and I would have to say it was a bit more fuel efficient. Not sure if its my imagination or not, but I think this propane unit is much quieter.

Sandy

We don't dry camp much either and when we do he uses the little honda generator and that works perfect for us as it will last all day and I can use microwave or my blow dryer with it....so that is really cheap to use. We really haven't used the big generator much so I can't compare as to propane noise...will check that out next time...now I curious...

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I love my propane Gen. I no longer need to worry about the fuel gelling up and clogging up the carb. I run it once in a while to make sure it's still working.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hoefler

I installed a gas generator in our rig. I carry a 6 gallon steel boat tank with us when we travel for the occasional stop or break done. It will last 12-14 hours. When I know we are going to boondock, Nascar race, I have a custom built 24 gallon tank I mount to my tool box, 2 bolts, that we use. It will last 48-60 hours.

Last edited:

dewwood

Since you have the propane model and it is not an urgent matter, I would suggest using it for awhile to see how you like it. Using it should answer some of your questions and give you a better understanding of its benefits and drawbacks. You will always be able to convert if you should decide that is the way to go.

esscobra

propane is less btu - even onan documentation notes propane output is about 15% less than comparable gas unit and thus consumption a bit higher - I use generator at least 1 trip per month - and for several days at a time- I did lots of research before purchasing a had a Honda eu7000 with previous unit-I installed a 7k onan fuel injected unit and installed a 14 gal tank on door side where propane tank goes- couldn't e happier- runs everything no issues- picked up unit end march- and regularly use stove & oven - and still on original 40lb tank- granted only ran heater during walk thru and 1 night during picking up unit and 1 other time - so inter will tell - but I ordered the heat pump option on bot units and they have done such a great job that not needed to run furnace- where we usually are- race tracks- much easier to fill gas jugs than propane tanks-

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7928.jpg
    IMG_7928.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 23