Hydraulic Landing Gear Shudder

Garypowell

About a week ago started to notice the sound when raising and lower the front landing gear (5 year old BH 3010 with only hydraulic front landing) was whining at a little higher pitch. Noted it....but thought I would just wait.

Today we stopped north of Louisville, KY and when unhooking the front landing gear worked as always. After off the Anderson Ball needed to lower the rig to get it level. Instead of a smooth transition the rig "shuddered" as it lowered. Kind of a jerky motion. Seemed more prevalent on the off door side but that is where I was standing working the switch....and it is closer to the pump.

I moved the rig up...again smooth. Ran it down....shuddered. Did this several times with the same result. Got it level and moved on.

Then moved the rooms out and just as always....smooth as glass.

My only guess is that the valve that opens (and it might be a two way valve for open and close) and allows the landing gear to retract might be failing....so it opens and closes or opens and partially closes in a rapid fashion....causing this shudder.

Looking forward to any thought, experience, answers, etc. that you can offer.

Also....if it is this "valve"....is it readily available, where, and can a somewhat wanna be do-it-yourselfer accomplish this repair.

OH....the Rig is sitting OK....it is not slumping....no oil leak....no nothing....just shudders a little when dropping the front.

Thanks,

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I don't know if we're talking about the same issue but with Level Up Lippert recommends spraying the legs weekly with dry silicone. Our rig will tell us if it's due for another spraying.

hoefler

With the landing gear fully retracted, check the fluid level in your resevoir. Sounds like you may be getting air in the system foaming the oil from a low level in the resevoir.

Garypowell

Checked the level yesterday right after the shudder.....same as the mark I put on it when new and no foam.

Should have mentioned that i silicone the legs almost every time we move the rig.....over their five year life.

I dont know know if I hit the seals or not......the tubes go up into a metal "shroud" of some kind......never have seen or felt any rubber......I assumed spraying the legs good would keep the rubber seals in good shape.

Is there something I need to remove to get to the rubber?

Garypowell

Now in Nashville and front legs worked without a shudder. Checked the fluid and it is bright red.

Thinking about getting a turkey baster and removing as much as I can remove and putting new in. It's been five years.

Any thoughts on this as a preventative measure?

Thanks,